Puppy-mill Turned Kennel?

HeavyPaws

Every two weeks for the past four years I've driven past this huge trailer-trash looking property, and they've had a big sign {like a church sign or roadworks sign} at the gate advertising a different breed of puppy and kitten every month or sooner.

If I slowed down enough and had a crane-and-nosy, I could see rows of runs behind the bushes and rusty cars, and sometimes I'd see dogs in this small paddock looking area.

Please note that I DID think it was fishy, and I reported it to the RSPCA no less than three times a year since I first noticed it, every single time was "Oh, that's a worry, we'll look into it". When I ask to keep undated with the investigation, I've had a range of responses that go from "Sorry, that will be classified information" to "We'll send you an email" {never received a thing}

Still they kept advertising all these different breeds and litters so obviously nothing was done about it.

Last night I drove past it for the first time this month, and they have a puppy-kitten sign out but a lovely new sign next to it, saying _____ Boarding Kennels.

Puppy mill turned boarding kennel? I'm afraid I don't understand if a place like that is even able to become a kennel.

Should I make an effort to report it once again {I was actually going to pose as a potential customer and insist on seeing the grounds} or do you think this is perfectly reasonable and I'm actually a crazy animal-welfare nut who sees puppy mills in every darkened garage corner?

Also want to add, I'm not going to say where this kennel is or what the name is. I don't want this to be a situation where the possible-puppy-mill sold the property to a respectable business owner who is going to renovate it into a lovely kennels, and I ruin their business by mentioning that they're a puppy mill to the dog community.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why mention it here at all ? I don't really get the point given you're not disclosing the location, you could simply go about your investigation of the place and reporting what you find to council.

I cannot believe that you've reported someone to the RSPCA no less than 3 times in a year, without having seen the property or the animals first hand.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Lots of boarding kennels also breed and sell puppies. The requirements to be able to either breed or baord are pretty tough and it seems if the sign says boarding kennel you can be sure they are inspected regularly and they are compling with what they need to.

Its not against the law for people to put a sign up to sell puppies and at least they are selling them from their property where people can see the parents and how they are looked after.

Why did you report them to the RSPCA?

I cannot believe that you've reported someone to the RSPCA no less than 3 times in a year, without having seen the property or the animals first hand.

Either can I. What exactly did you report them for? It's not illegal to have a sign out the front offering kittens and puppies for sale and it's not illegal to set up boarding kennels unless they dont have council approval.

Wow suprised at the replies so far...............................

I probably would havve done the same as the OP , surely no registered, responsible breeder would sell some many different breeds in such a short time.

And aren't we all for getting rid of BYBers and pup/kitten farms :laugh:

Not sure I understand the point. It's not against the law to produce a large volume of puppies and kittens. If the animals are feed, watered, have shelter and get vet care when needed, there is no violation of current POCTA regulations.

I think many people object to puppy mills on moral grounds, which are not a justification for RSPCA intervention. In a perfect world, the situation you describe would be actionable, but in the real world it is entirely legal.

Hopefully, they didn't get council approval to be a boarding kennel. Maybe check with the council?

Not sure I understand the point. It's not against the law to produce a large volume of puppies and kittens. If the animals are feed, watered, have shelter and get vet care when needed, there is no violation of current POCTA regulations.

I think many people object to puppy mills on moral grounds, which are not a justification for RSPCA intervention. In a perfect world, the situation you describe would be actionable, but in the real world it is entirely legal.

Hopefully, they didn't get council approval to be a boarding kennel. Maybe check with the council?

Why? the more people through the business the more pressure on them to keep things up tp scratch.

Exactly Ellz. Report to Council if it's a safety hazard but apart from that you just look like a 'crazy animal-welfare nut'. Sorry but the more people waste the time of the rspca with complaints just because they dont like something, the less likely they are to investigate actual complaints of animal cruelty. It reminds me of the neighbour in bewitched who deafens her husband with the constant 'Abner...Abner'

Did you ever sight the animals? What condition were they in? What were their living conditions like?

It may be the case that nothing was done about it because nothing was wrong with it. It's not illegal to breed dogs and cats, and it's not illegal to live on a rundown property. Reporting it to the RSPCA doesn't mean they'll close it down, they'll just check it out.

And if the property is THAT offensive, then chances are council are already involved and will have notified the RSPCA if there is an issue with animals on the property anyway. Mandatory reporting and all that stuff.

Wow suprised at the replies so far...............................

I probably would havve done the same as the OP , surely no registered, responsible breeder would sell some many different breeds in such a short time.

Yes but lets not lose sight of the fact that what these people are doing is LEGAL.

You can't simply report people for carrying out their business. You need to have an issue with the welfare of their animals.

Reporting something you have no first hand knowledge is a waste of the RSPCA's time IMO.

The ethics of it are not illegal. Before you make any complaints about the welfare issue based on assumptions, which may be right or wrong, you need to see for yourself.

If you do & it is very bad you need to go in & report it & ask that you are kept informed of the result. Maybe they just think you are assuming as you drive by, which is correct.

Hopefully, for the sake of what lives there, it will not be so bad but they are allowed to sell animals.

Sure but what have they done wrong exactly? The OP hasnt even been on the property - she's only driven by it.

think about it. the mentality is if you breed to sell not keep you are a puppy farmer. puppy farmers are trash, puppy farmers must be stopped.

ive heard it for 30 years.

the minset has been acomplished she is doing what was going to be achieved. so dont be suprised surely?

unless you keep your pups your a sitting duck for this thinking now

Every two weeks for the past four years I've driven past this huge trailer-trash looking property, and they've had a big sign {like a church sign or roadworks sign} at the gate advertising a different breed of puppy and kitten every month or sooner.

If I slowed down enough and had a crane-and-nosy, I could see rows of runs behind the bushes and rusty cars, and sometimes I'd see dogs in this small paddock looking area.

Please note that I DID think it was fishy, and I reported it to the RSPCA no less than three times a year since I first noticed it, every single time was "Oh, that's a worry, we'll look into it". When I ask to keep undated with the investigation, I've had a range of responses that go from "Sorry, that will be classified information" to "We'll send you an email" {never received a thing}

Still they kept advertising all these different breeds and litters so obviously nothing was done about it.

Last night I drove past it for the first time this month, and they have a puppy-kitten sign out but a lovely new sign next to it, saying _____ Boarding Kennels.

Puppy mill turned boarding kennel? I'm afraid I don't understand if a place like that is even able to become a kennel.

Should I make an effort to report it once again {I was actually going to pose as a potential customer and insist on seeing the grounds} or do you think this is perfectly reasonable and I'm actually a crazy animal-welfare nut who sees puppy mills in every darkened garage corner?

Also want to add, I'm not going to say where this kennel is or what the name is. I don't want this to be a situation where the possible-puppy-mill sold the property to a respectable business owner who is going to renovate it into a lovely kennels, and I ruin their business by mentioning that they're a puppy mill to the dog community.

I must admit I have always had concerns of boarding my entire male dogs ... you would have no way of knowing if that boarding kennel (or someone who worked there) had used your male to start a couple of litters. :laugh:

I must admit I have always had concerns of boarding my entire male dogs ... you would have no way of knowing if that boarding kennel (or someone who worked there) had used your male to start a couple of litters. :laugh:

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!!!

Did you ever stop to think that many Boarding Kennels will not take entire males as they are to much of a problem.

Also use a reputable ethical kennel.

Why do people always think the Boarding Kennels would even want to use YOUR dog. :laugh:

Also many Boarding Kennels may not own your breed. They may not even own a dog!.

I personally would have wanted to take a closer look at the property to ensure that they did deserve to be reported to the RSPCA BUT lest we forget that selling puppies and kittens on a regular basis DOES constitute PUPPY MILLING !! The OP has made it amply clear that there were large signs advertising puppies & kittens on a very regular basis! Too regular for my liking....breeding should be done to better the breed and NOT as a means to pay one's mortgage! I must say that I dont think too highly of anyone wanting to sell animals esp pet animals via signs outside a property. Given that most of you like to take up residence on a

mountain top and shout your distaste at pet shops for getting their 'stock' from puppy millers (me included) and also for relying on people walking by and purchasing a pup on a whim because it looks cute, I am surprised that you dont have issues with people adopting the method of selling pups via signs outside a property...same concept as far as I am concerned!