Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a blue Schipperke, he only lived until he was 16 months old.

post-30025-1288841145_thumb.jpg

Why did he die?

The blue in Schipps is known as the death gene and rarely do they survive beyond birth. Besides the alopecia which he had from only a couple of weeks of age, he became blind, couldn't eat without being hand fed, developed kidney, liver and heart problems and other auto immune issues. We knew when we took him on that he wouldn't survive for long but we wanted to give him a home for his short life.

I know that merle in some instances can present health issues but that would have to be merle to merle matings, right?

Read what poodlefan said. And what she said only applies to the merles that are born alive. Many merles are born dead. Personally I don't like this gene in any breed, but for it to gain favour with byb of popular toy breeds is a truly horrific thought.

I don't think this is accurate. Double Merle is not lethal. You do get the eye and ear issues though, which leads to bopping on the head. Which is rather lethal. They don't just die like the lethal white foals though.

Well back to rare coloured - the rare tri coloured westie

post-23033-1288833863_thumb.jpg

Here I was thinking I was stuck to white, white or white! :nahnah:

You just have to switch to the breed that the whites were split off from - the Cairn Terrier!!

(or give me a call at Deshonko, I'll produce any colour you like :laugh: )

Hmmm... my mind is boggling with ideas now....

Why did he die?

The blue in Schipps is known as the death gene and rarely do they survive beyond birth. Besides the alopecia which he had from only a couple of weeks of age, he became blind, couldn't eat without being hand fed, developed kidney, liver and heart problems and other auto immune issues. We knew when we took him on that he wouldn't survive for long but we wanted to give him a home for his short life.

How terribly sad. :laugh:

Now that is one pup that may have been far better off culled at birth.

Why did he die?

just on his colour, health issues aside, could he have been exhibited as he was a "whole colour".

I've seen the odd light coloured Schipp ( not sure what colour they are called ) in the ring and have had to look twice , to see what they are.

To answer the question on colour and issues:

White - deafness, low immune system, skin and hair issues. Common link can often be thyroid irregularities. White with lack of pigment usually spells trouble, especially for hearing.

Black - more prone to certain kinds of cancer including hemangiosarcoma and bone cancer

Black and Tan - parvo magnets

Fawn and Blue - dilute colour alopecia. Not often seen in Whippets thank God but definitely in SBTs and Dobes.

Those are the ones I know of.

Out of curiosity, do these apply to breeds where those colours are common?

Example being my Black labs, would they be more susceptible to certain kinds of cancer? Or is it only the case in breeds where the colour is rare/disqualified?

Or Samoyeds, are they more su susceptible to deafness ect?

Apparently the cancer link goes across breeds for black dogs.

Rottweillers are noted as being more susceptible to parvo as a breed.

Can't say about Samoyeds but Westies get skin issues noted in health issues for the breed.

This irks me... IMO Badly bred Westies, by BYB and those that dont know their lines or teach people correct coat care or proper care of their pet in general will get skin issues.

Those that come from dedicated breeders that know and work on their lines, who mentor their pet people correct care of their new puppy, which includes diet, are less inclined to skin issues.

I have had 2 Westies now, from reputable breeders and neither have had any hint of skin issues. - Although the vet tried to rush me into signing up for pet insurance because my Westies skin was a bit pink, and his coat was patchy.... because I had only partially stripped him that morning!!!!

Sorry if I missed it, but is the blue merle bad in the corgi's? My aunty has one with a blue eye.

Blue merle is perfectly acceptable in the Cardigan Welsh Corgi (often accompanied by a blue eye - also acceptable) however it's not a colour we get in the Pembroke Welsh Corgi though occassionally a blue eye will occur (I've never seen one) and a blue eye is not acceptable in a Pembroke.

Hope this helps :laugh:

Just quickly off the topic of Samoyeds for a second ;)

For 38 :rofl: years I have wanted a HEALTHY SHOW QUALITY white Sibe :cry: ;)

I think they are just devine .......................... don't quite like my chances of ever having one :laugh: :nahnah:

post-27840-1288845096_thumb.jpg

post-27840-1288845113_thumb.jpg

I think they are just devine .......................... don't quite like my chances of ever having one :laugh: :nahnah:

Wow, pretty.

So they arn't easy to get or do breeders not like the colour and try to aviod it for health reasons?

I've never seen one before.

Wow, pretty.

So they arn't easy to get or do breeders not like the colour and try to aviod it for health reasons?

I've never seen one before.

My friend had one. Gorgeous dog but he was blind.

It's not show quality and she did get him from a byb though ;)