Comon Things People Dont Realise About Your Breed

MonElite

That Berners are born sedate, calm and placid....17 months & she is only now starting to settle down!

That we must spend a fortune on food/she must eat a lot....

We get this alot too! Last time was when we were buying the biggest bag of dog food (PetBarn had a special deal :love: ) and one of the shop people said, "that'll last, what two weeks?"

You'd be surprised how little my boy eats! Those big bags last us 6-8 weeks (think they're about 15Kg bags)

I've already had that same comment when buying a 15kg bag from Pet Barn!!! And Kyojin's only a little boy :rofl:

We're very curious as to how long those big bags will last us, so that's good to know. How many cups does Kuma get a day??

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussies don't require hours of grooming. A brush behind the ears and the pants once in a while and you should be right unless your dog has a monster coat.

They aren't nuts, they do have off buttons. You can have one in a normal backyard if you do the work and make sure they are part of the family.

They aren't supposed to be everyone's friends, they can be quite reserved with strangers so just because she gives you a disgusted look when you try and grope her doesn't mean she's shy, it means she doesn't want you all over you because she doesn't know you from a bar of soap! Yep some of them love everyone and that's fine too.

They aren't part Sibe (blue eyes), they aren't Coolies and YES they are a completely different breed.

Yes they can see out of her blue eye/eyes.

Do they shed as much as labs?

What weisnjac said!!

And on another note, i would like to get a T shirt that says- "Yes, i have 5 dogs. No i am not some kind of freak. Yes i have a nice clean house. No my backyard is not a mud patch. And yes, funnily enough- people DO visit us, even with our 5 dogs.."

I need that shirt too!

Afghans are not born with a full coat - it does have to grow.

Yes that is called a saddle and it occurs naturally.

They were bred to hunt independently.

Yes they can be trained!

No they are not stupid!

Yup yup... independent thinker does not = stupid.

Salukis: No my dog is not starving. Have you ever seen a fat long distance runner?

PS - Love the CC trouser suit, very cute!

I've heard the 'feed your dog' thing... 'it's vertebrae are showing... you mustn't feed it enough' etc etc.

That they need lots of exercise... nup, they'll take a couch over a long walk any day.

And for the Lowchen, that they're born with a naked bum... I wish :love:

Aussies don't require hours of grooming. A brush behind the ears and the pants once in a while and you should be right unless your dog has a monster coat.

They aren't nuts, they do have off buttons. You can have one in a normal backyard if you do the work and make sure they are part of the family.

They aren't supposed to be everyone's friends, they can be quite reserved with strangers so just because she gives you a disgusted look when you try and grope her doesn't mean she's shy, it means she doesn't want you all over you because she doesn't know you from a bar of soap! Yep some of them love everyone and that's fine too.

They aren't part Sibe (blue eyes), they aren't Coolies and YES they are a completely different breed.

nup, not even close. Aside from the twice yearly seasonal coat drops, they actually don't shed much at all.

A guy at work the other day said - "my dog must be ridgeback cross cuz his hair stands up on his back when he gets arked up ey" OMG :love: A bit off topic but wow, Is his serious??

Then Kuma must have some Ridgy in him! His "ruff" is lovely, he has a happy ridge "yay, friends! Let's play!" and a narky ridge "oi u, get out of my yard" :rofl:

No kelpie's aren't hard work,.

They need more mental stimulation then physical.

They don't make good guard dogs, but great watch dogs but would lick you to death first.

And no, just because i own a few kelpie's does not mean my hands are full and i should be fit they are more than happy to be lounge lizards all day until you grab a lead.

That wide berth people take when im walking my dogs .. why ? because of there colour (blk and blk n tan)

thats all oh wait ..

people think they are hyper, they just need the right owner for their breed.

Sibes:

- Yes they can actually be taught to walk on a loose leash. If your Siberian is pulling you everywhere it's because it hasn't been trained otherwise NOT that he's "born to pull"

- Just because they are independent and strong willed does not mean they can't be trained especially when it comes to being taught a reliable recall

- Whilst they are stunning that is not a good enough reason to own one

- Oh and he's NOT A FREAKING MALAMUTE!!! OMG the number of people who will argue with me until they are in blue in the face that my pedigree Siberian Husky is a Malamute astounds me...

Beagles:

- Beagles are NOT dumb or untrainable

- My beagle is not a fluke and I'm not "lucky" - it took (and still takes) quite a bit of work to get the drive and focus I have now!

- Yes they can be taught not to scent, being a scent hound does not mean they can't do anything else reliably

- Just because they are hungry all the time does not mean they should be fed more - beagles should not be fat!

Edited by huski

nup, not even close. Aside from the twice yearly seasonal coat drops, they actually don't shed much at all.

No one told Holly then, everything has Holly hair on it! But I would prefer her coat drops over Poppy (short hair) as Holly's is alot easier to get off things.

I think Holly would be on the same level as a Lab but Maizie doesn't shed as much.

Lots of people seem to assume that because border collies are 'smart', that they must come pre-trained with a whole repertoire of cute little tricks. Plenty of people have tried to get Darcy to "shake hands" and then ask what's wrong with him when he doesn't do it.

Fact is, he is a stubborn little thing and it was hard enough to get him to pay attention long enough to learn sit, drop and stay. And we're still working on recall. "Shake hands" can wait.

For the record I don't think he is particularly 'smart' anyway :p

Edited by ♪♫LMBC♫♪

• 2 weeks later...
1. There is no such thing as an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier

One of my friends is looking at getting a stafford pup soon so curious me jumped on the website to of the breeder she is in contact with to check out their dogs.

I was surprised and a little horrified to see them advertising themselves as breeders of English Staffordshire Bull Terriers! :)

I sent them an email correcting their mistake which I'm sure they won't appreciate! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sezz

What weisnjac said!!

And on another note, i would like to get a T shirt that says- "Yes, i have 5 dogs. No i am not some kind of freak. Yes i have a nice clean house. No my backyard is not a mud patch. And yes, funnily enough- people DO visit us, even with our 5 dogs.."

Newfies do need to be kept fit and yes they do like to be exercised and are not layabouts :thumbsup:

And you can do obedience ( trial) with them. And mine love agility

Yes the same goes for us.Yes I do have four huge dogs and yes they are inside dogs and a clean house. And no I do not have a destroyed backyard. And you can have a bar-b-q at my place and the dogs are loose and you are not bothered by them :)

Edited by newfsie