'unusual' Looking Dogs

CrazyCresties

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Ve waiting to get my Great Dane puppy weighed. In the waiting room was a couple and the woman looked like she had been crying. I felt for her so much, imagining she just got some bad news about her beloved pet. I stood there thinking "that poor woman, i hope her pet is o.k.".

Anyway as they went to leave they walked past my puppy and she said to me "oh my god! that is most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :) " - talking about my puppy!

It felt worse because I'd been having all those sympathetic feelings for her a moment earlier :p

anyway here he is :) he is over the bridge now.

6wks_Mr_Darcy-IMG_1497.jpg

How is he ridiculous :D

What an awful thing to say- and very odd!

IMO he is extremely cute!

thanks everyone - he was utterly adorable in my eyes too :p

Raineth he is so adorable i don't know how anyone could say he looks ridiculous :D

my puppy has one eye stitched up so occasionally we get comments like 'wow that dog looks like he's been through war' :)

but 90% of the time we get an 'awww.. ' and occasionally 'poor doggy' gets added on. it happens so much i think it might be some kind of automatic response

post-32639-1289458646_thumb.jpg

Ollie's stitched up eye certainly has detracted from his good looks :)

When we adopted Gus, I was told that his mum was a pure bred Golden Retriever so he is officially registered as a Golden Retriever x. People generally ask me what he is, I tell them and they just look at me as if to say...'Tell her she's dreaming" :D

At the Royal a couple of years ago, a little boy came running around the corner into the benching area, and then suddenly stopped dead, mouth agape.

"Look, Mum!!", he exclaimed, as he pointed to a long row of sleeping Deerhounds, "Giant rats!"

I had to laugh, he was kind of right....

The large group of schoolkids at he local train station that I used to pass every afternoon would always ask if they could pat the "Harry Potter Dogs".

I don't mind people asking what breed they are; I just hate it when they start arguing with you... "nah, it's a staghound/wolfhound/insert large breed here. I know, 'cos me dad used to breed 'em" etc, etc.

We get a lot of comments when we go out.

"Oh you poor thing"

"Well, at least your mum loves you"

"Oh that feels weird" (touching his skin)

And finally...

"You poor thing, how could they do that to you" (when his ears were taped)

post-33844-1289499305_thumb.jpg

Having Border Terriers and a Smooth Collie, whenever people ask what breed of dogs I hve (when the dogs aren't there), I am certain that they only here BORDER and COLLIE lol.

The Borders are mongrels who 'have terrier in them, but I can't see any Border Collie??' or 'oh, I thought Border Collies were black and white!'

Lots of people get surprised when I say how old they are "ooh I thought he was old! He looks like an old man!!" (talking about my puppy who was 7 months at the time).

Smooth Collie, like Hava said, get the "it has a Collie head but why did you do to it's coat??"

Also lots of "yeah I can see the Collie in it but whats it crossed with?" I call them 'Lassie for the lazy person' lol.

Explaining the breed without having the dog there or a picture to show, I'll say 'like Lassie/rough collie but with a coat like a German Shepherd' even though the coat isn't really GSD like but I figure 99% of ppl know what a gsd coat looks like!

Had an argument with a dip of a woman who was walkig a young rough collie pup (didn't have the smooth with me but had to stop and ask for cuddles!!). Anyway was chatting about how we had a Smooth and she went off on a rant about them being a scam and there is only one kind of collie etc, tried explaining that we showed etc but she was adamant that we had been ripped off.

I don't mind terribly if people comment that my dogs are unattractive- each to their own. But when they tell me my breed is not what it is (and what it says it is on it's extensive pedigree with generation upon generation being registered as well- I can prove without doubt what my dogs are and where they come from), I get really pissed off.

The curious/silly comments are fine but the arrogant know alls bug me.

I have italian greyhounds and when I walk take them out in public I get swamped with ppl. Its the most bizzaire thing. Most ppl think they are 'baby whippets' but more ppl are starting to identify them correctly. Everyone (especially children) wants to touch them which can get quite overwhelming for the dogs. I get asked a heap of questions about the breed. I thought it was just because ppl in Broken Hill (where I live) dont get out much LOL but recently the same thing happened when I had them at the Entrance on the central coast.

My friends all initially had an 'eww what strange dogs they are too skinny' type of reaction, but those same friends now love my iggies and one is soon to have an iggy of her own. I think the breed grows on ppl once they get used to how they look. I left one of my iggies with a friend when i went on holidays and when i returned she offered to keep him lol.

My golden is often identified by ppl as a 'long haired lab' I just tell them they are close, as both breeds are gundogs but she is a golden retriever.

In all honesty, I've said things like "you are just so ridiculous" to puppies that are all wrinkly and adorable that I am currently smooching to oblivion. It never occurred to me that anyone would find it insulting! Puppies in general are ridiculous. They bounce and wriggle and fall on their sides and flail on the ground and crawl in your lap and then lick your face. The behaviour is ridiculous, but it's why I love puppies so much. They are just so silly! And when they have skin wrinkles and just sit there looking so freaking adorable and saggy, I would say they are ridiculously cute. I also very much like rats and would not at all find it insulting to have a small dog of mine likened to a rat. It's just a size comparison. Rats are cute. I call OH's parents' Min Pin a little mouse deer. I think people should not be so sensitive. Terms of endearment sometimes sound insulting, but they aren't. If people are saying it to your face chances are they aren't trying to be mean. I get "He looks so HOT, poor thing!" about Kivi all the time. It doesn't bother me. Why should it? People will think what they will think. I daresay some of them think I'm cruel for keeping a full-coated breed in Australia and are just too polite to say it. Big deal.

In all honesty, I've said things like "you are just so ridiculous" to puppies that are all wrinkly and adorable that I am currently smooching to oblivion. It never occurred to me that anyone would find it insulting! Puppies in general are ridiculous. They bounce and wriggle and fall on their sides and flail on the ground and crawl in your lap and then lick your face. The behaviour is ridiculous, but it's why I love puppies so much. They are just so silly! And when they have skin wrinkles and just sit there looking so freaking adorable and saggy, I would say they are ridiculously cute. I also very much like rats and would not at all find it insulting to have a small dog of mine likened to a rat. It's just a size comparison. Rats are cute. I call OH's parents' Min Pin a little mouse deer. I think people should not be so sensitive. Terms of endearment sometimes sound insulting, but they aren't. If people are saying it to your face chances are they aren't trying to be mean. I get "He looks so HOT, poor thing!" about Kivi all the time. It doesn't bother me. Why should it? People will think what they will think. I daresay some of them think I'm cruel for keeping a full-coated breed in Australia and are just too polite to say it. Big deal.

Well said Corvus - totally agree - I'm know I say silly things at other peoples dogs and cats -especially at shows.

Comments about my dogs never worry me, I just smile. No-one has ever heard of a Lappie - most people take a guess at Border Collie X and I'd never heard of Lappies until I found the breed on the DOL list.

I understand you Corvus ;)

But there was certianly was nothing nice about the way that woman said it about my puppy. It was said in a sneering way and she had her full stink face on.

if you had come up to my pup and said he was ridiculous in the way you described, I wouldn't have mistaken it :vomit:

My Smokey Kelpies are always picked on for looking 'old'. It really annoys me as my youngest girl is only 2!

The other thing that gets up my nose is people telling me my dogs are 'fawn' kelpies. THEY AREN'T! I have one fawn cross smokey that has the more fawn colouring, but the other two are definitely smokeys.

Because they're colouring is so rare, some rude people call them rat dogs :D

I just get people crossing the road or going off the track when I walk by with my German Shepherd!! :D

If I'm walking the Cavaliers they coo and ahh, :D if I have a Cav attached to the GSD they don't know what to do! :cheer: :D

I had a HORRIBLE, STUCK UP woman at the beach when Lottie was about 12weeks old say - 'Oh, what a horrible thing for a dog to have no tail - I don't know if it's going to attack me or not!' - UMMMM HELLO!!! It was a 12 week old PUPPY!!!!!!! wiggling her little butt off frown.gif . It was something that really really upset me!!! It made me think 'what have I done with getting a dog with no tail'. ANYWAY... just yesterday made up for it - I was walking her around the lake, and I heard two ladies say 'look at that stunning dog' - so I stopped and introduced myself and Lottie, informed them about the breed and had a lovely chat - and the complements they were saying about her really made my day biggrin.gif biggrin.gif And... they said having no tail gave her more personality!!! hehe!! Now I LOVE her stumpy bum, and I think me next aussie will be a stumpy bum as well

Dogs with no tails are awesome :D

With my Boxer I get the "only a face a mother could love" comment...my reply is - "are you blind?!" :D

My husky people think is a wolf, or comment how cruel it is to have him in summer. :D

We get "Ohh look at the Dulux Dog" - they ain't Old English......and when you say Bearded Collie - they go "that's not like any border collie I've ever seen"

or "how can it see with all that fur? - you should cut it's hair so it can see"

At the Royal a couple of years ago, a little boy came running around the corner into the benching area, and then suddenly stopped dead, mouth agape.

"Look, Mum!!", he exclaimed, as he pointed to a long row of sleeping Deerhounds, "Giant rats!"

I had to laugh, he was kind of right....

:thumbsup:

In all honesty, I've said things like "you are just so ridiculous" to puppies that are all wrinkly and adorable that I am currently smooching to oblivion. It never occurred to me that anyone would find it insulting! ...................I think people should not be so sensitive. Terms of endearment sometimes sound insulting, but they aren't.

Smoochy 'fun' insults are one thing, I call Louis a little weasel all the time, but just plain rudeness is different :cry:

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts on the forum, just thought i'd add a pic of this unusual coat on this dog, it's one i stumbled across on the net-i'm not sure if anyone has seen it before but i've added it anyway =]

I've added a link to where i found it:

>>> Linky Link Here <<<

Hi and welcome - wow that is one unusual looking dog :) is it for real, or photoshop'd

Anyway a breakthrough today - a random stranger stopped me and asked about Louis, and she also said he was really beautiful :rofl:

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts on the forum, just thought i'd add a pic of this unusual coat on this dog, it's one i stumbled across on the net-i'm not sure if anyone has seen it before but i've added it anyway =]

I've added a link to where i found it:

>>> Linky Link Here <<<

Hi and welcome - wow that is one unusual looking dog :D is it for real, or photoshop'd

Thanks CrazyCresties =]

I'm not too sure if it is real? the guy took the photo on the streets of Kalimpong (somewhere in India) while traveling- but I guess we'll never know?! never the less, it rather unique :)