Is Your Dog Well Trained Or Just Well Behaved?

dee lee

My gorgeous Honey is a very good girl. :(

However, there have been times when it becomes clear that despite her good behaviour she is perhaps not as well trained as I think. :D

I believe the problem stems from the fact that she is so biddable, so she has less of a conditioned response to training cues.

Yeah, I know I need to keep up the training, but like I said, she is so well behaved that often I forget she isn't well trained as well!! :laugh:

Anyone else have this "terrible" problem? :rolleyes:

Is your dog well trained or just well behaved?

Agreed with TerraNik. While nowhere NEAR well-trained yet, Akira earned me a compliment on how well she behaved at obedience last week (until she decided to go hunting for food, anyway). She is the naughtiest dog in the world the rest of the time. :rolleyes:

Well behaved.

I do basic obedience with them, but that isn't why they are such lovely dogs. They don't tend to exhibit many undesirable behaviours because they are typical greyhounds. Their breeders can take the credit for their good qualities and bad, not me. :rolleyes:

Well behaved.

I do basic obedience with them, but that isn't why they are such lovely dogs. They don't tend to exhibit many undesirable behaviours because they are typical greyhounds. Their breeders can take the credit for their good qualities and bad, not me. :laugh:

Same with my guys.

Though Lilly getting super excited about breakfast at 5am at the moment (and trying to convince me to feed her every 10 or 15 mins after that) is neither a sign of being particularly well behaved nor well trained! :rolleyes:

Edited by CBL

mine is both. she is a naturally well behaved dog and she has been trained.

:rolleyes: Jaxx is THE most well behaved and well trained little girl ever!! I'm in awe of her (and in love!)

Most of my dogs have been 'well behaved' no thanks to me :(

My current two are well trained, get the viz at doggy sports etc and she is wonderful, terrific recall etc. all the time....

HOWEVER she is pretty naughty, excitable etc. at home. (my fault of course) the spin is an angel, but if she sees 'prey' her ears switch off :D

I only let her off for a run at the beach as she cannot go anywhere there, although when there is low tide she has chased birdies almost to Fraser Island :laugh: :D no joke!!!!

so now I have 2 'badly' behaved dogs, one who is well trained. One day I'll get it right and have a well behaved well trained dog..... just have to be trained myself first :(

Despite barking at other dogs and making a mess of any paper and shoes left around I think my dogs are well behaved :laugh: I mean they could be a lot worse. I don't think there are a lot of dogs that can be left inside the house all day 5 days a week without causing a fair bit of damage :rolleyes:

Definitely not well trained haha

I'd say my big mutt is naturally well behaved (most of the time) but he is a pain in the butt when it comes to training. He likes to just lounge around the house and get pats.

My young working breed is well behaved (most of the time) because of training. I don't even want to know what she would be like if left in a backyard with not enough training or exercise :rolleyes: She's very easy to train and biddable though.

My dogs are both well behaved.......to a point.........and trained. Benson hascway too many brains for his own good though, and while he's not naughty, he's constantly thinking and working things out. This can make for an interesting companion. I gave up doing formal obedience with him because he's too much of an independant thinker.

He's very nicely behaved though.

Dusty doesn't have half the brains Benson has, so she is better at obedience. I can see her trying to work out what I want and I can often see the penny drop when she gets it. She would rather die than get in trouble so she's extremely well behaved.

Isaak is just a big cute puppy who lives to please. Sometimes he's naughty but that's cis he's a baby and doesn't know any different. As he gets older and his training starts to kick in, I expect he'll be as well behaved as the others.

I believe part of the reason for their good behaviour is that they are included in our day to day lives. If we only played with them once a week and they lived outside, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as good as they are.

Pepper is generally well behaved... and she is generally better behaved at home with her immediate family than in public with exciting people and dogs to annoy. She has moments of appearing very well trained to the casual observer, but those moments often only last as long as the treats. The training could be a lot better!

Or you could have a well trained dog that's not well behaved :laugh: Great in the ring, naughty outside of it! :rolleyes:

Yes, mine is well trained, but not well behaved. :D

2 of mine are well trained - one is well behaved, the other is a little turd.

The third is on the way to being well trained (only six months) and will follow in the footsteps of her naughty 'sister'.

I like the naughty ones.

Gus is relatively well behaved, which can mean he appears well trained.

You know the adage, never chastise a dog for not responding to a command unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that he KNOWS the command, and is just not obeying out of wilfulness?

Well being only six months old, I can't tell if his occasional refusal to sit or lie down is because he doesn't know the commands, or just doesn't feel like it beause he's in his selective deafness period...

>__< Confusing...