Ok, She Can't Be Toilet Trained...

Kirty

My lovely rescue dog Wally has been great until the last couple of days. He's weed on the carpet 4 times after going outside for weeks. I don't know if it was the rain we've had as he's also doing poos on the back doormat. I closed off all the carpeted areas so he just went on the bathmat. I just don't get it. He was totally trustworthy for so long. He sleeps on my bed and I'm afraid he'll get up overnight and wee in the bedroom. I had him trained to wee on command at bedtime, but now he refuses to even come outside. I'm baffled. Lucky he's so gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Toilet training is frequently an issue. I've sent an email to all those who've requested it.

posshutt - I wish you'd pm'd me when you started having a problem. I have some suggestions for you - has your backyard got Bindiis? Has there been a storm? Many dogs don't like wet weather so I put my naughty one on a lead and just go into the driveway - it can be wet and although he won't go in the garden, he still likes to mark his territory in the driveway or roadway area. I don't let him get away with not going when it's bedtime, it's important to make sure they've gone or you will have an accident.

Always be patient, if they start acting up when you thought you'd succeeded with training there is usually a reason why. Start the method again, it's all about reward and praise and dogs happily respond.

Toilet training is frequently an issue. I've sent an email to all those who've requested it.

posshutt - I wish you'd pm'd me when you started having a problem. I have some suggestions for you - has your backyard got Bindiis? Has there been a storm? Many dogs don't like wet weather so I put my naughty one on a lead and just go into the driveway - it can be wet and although he won't go in the garden, he still likes to mark his territory in the driveway or roadway area. I don't let him get away with not going when it's bedtime, it's important to make sure they've gone or you will have an accident.

Always be patient, if they start acting up when you thought you'd succeeded with training there is usually a reason why. Start the method again, it's all about reward and praise and dogs happily respond.

[/quote

Hi Dogmad,

I went back and had another look at your emails that you sent me about toilet training. I used them successfully when Wally first arrived. I think you're right about about the wet weather. It POURED all Friday night and Saturday and he started doing it then. Took me a while to realise it was really Wally. I've got two other dogs here at the moment and I knew one of them HATES the rain.

My back yard is small and has only lillydale topping. No garden or grass. I had to walk him up to the nature strip last night to get him to go and have started your method again as of this morning. I'll also be keeping him out of the carpeted areas while I'm not around. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to wee on tiles. He used to go as soon as I took him out and said "Do Wees". Now he just looks at me like he's never heard those words before.

I'm amazed at those lovely pics of Pia with the kitten. Just beautiful Kirty. What a lovely dog he must be.

Every dog without medical/mental issues can be toilet trained, you'll just need to find a method that works, I personaly take them outside every hour whilst I'm home and then watch them like a hawk when they're inside.

http://k9pro.com.au/ has an article/toilet training program on his site that is similar to what I use.

Hi Kirty,

If Pia was an inside/outside before you probably just got lucky with her being clean in the house rather than her being toilet trained. Now she is inside completely it shows that she really has no idea about it all.

Go back to basics & start again. She will learn! From experience some of the females around this age are the hardest to train but I've never known one that hasn't learnt with time & patience.

Great photos but we've always known what a lovely girl Pia is.

She is definitely a very special dog. :laugh: She is so gentle with all of our animals, even the rabbits and tiny kittens.

But no, that is not her bed. That is my 3yo daughters bed. Pia had just joined us for stories at bed time. :eek:

When we got Jindi at 7.5 months of age she had never been house trained. After coming home time and time again to messes (thank goodness for wooden floors), I thought she was never going to be housetrained...

However, back to basics I went, outside on the hour, treat. When caught going inside, growled and taken straight outside, treat. If too late inside ignored, taken outside and treat. When walking ignored if toileted on cement or dirt, only treated when going on grass. (Lots of treats in the early stages).

After a while she started to hold on until we got home and I'd have to take her straight out and treat. If I was too slow, she'd go inside.

Then, she got to the stage where as soon as we came home, she'd go straight outside and toilet and I'd wait until she was almost finish and then rush out and praise her immensely.

Now, she's so much in the habit, that as soon as we come home she greets us and then rushes outside.

It's just a matter of consistency and getting into a routine.

And yes, she is beautiful.