Point And Shoot

huga

Somewhat inspired by Clicking Mad :( I have decided that I am going to use my little point and shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix) more often, for times when I can't use the DSLR for whatever reason. I think the way to use it successfully is to accept that it will never be a DSLR and embrace the short comings - like use the noise, avoid the flash, accept the shutter lag etc.

Feel free to join in - use whatever you like, a point and shoot, phone, whatever. Learn to use what you have to take some interesting shots. I will aim to use mine once a week.

So, here are some from the Roller Derby on Saturday night. It was DLSR-land, they were everywhere, so it felt good to go against the grain. It was also a drunken night out, so there was no way I was taking the D300 along...

There is motion blur and noise because I am allergic to the flash:

5194115000_b0bbc7e7a0_z.jpg

5194114896_3b8a244a8b_z.jpg

5194114764_4b3ea70a5d_z.jpg

Here are a couple of my point and shoot faves:

4372107829_322942358d_z.jpg?zz=1

4100063948_209ec882d2_z.jpg?zz=1

4099155261_5b4d1a70f1_z.jpg?zz=1

3409694405_b9558a4068_z.jpg?zz=1

More here.

Edited by huga

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of mine are point and shoot. Olympus SP-600UZ.

BUT, having said that, I don't use it on the automatic settings. Does that still count?

I hope so coz I use all sorts of settings on my compact (I'm not a fan of the term "point & shoot" unless it's a camera that truly doesn't have any controls at all and those are actually pretty rare) cameras to make them do what I want them to do as best as possible!

that's half the fun sometimes - making the most of whatever equipment you have in your hand!

All of mine are point and shoot. Olympus SP-600UZ.

BUT, having said that, I don't use it on the automatic settings. Does that still count?

I hope so coz I use all sorts of settings on my compact (I'm not a fan of the term "point & shoot" unless it's a camera that truly doesn't have any controls at all and those are actually pretty rare) cameras to make them do what I want them to do as best as possible!

that's half the fun sometimes - making the most of whatever equipment you have in your hand!

I use the term 'point and shoot' because generally, people know what I'm talking about. I mean any camera that has a lens that you can't take off.

I mostly use mine on auto, but do fiddle around with the settings sometimes.

I agree with making the most of whatever you have - which is why I started the thread. I also started because I hear so often 'You must have a really good camera!' and I know others hear the same, like the photographer just pushes a button and voila! :laugh: I'm sure it was Alicia who mentioned a photographer who won an award for shots taken on an iphone. A good photographer is a good photographer is a good photographer.

Edited by huga

I only have a point and shoot. My better one is a Kodak Z series, but I can't remember the exact model number right now, and the "chuck in my bag" camera is an Olympus.

This is my current favourite from the Kodak:

That's cool, Whiskedaway :laugh:

When I started out and joined the camera club I won competitions with a pont and shoot camera, it was literally a point and shoot, so that shoots the good camera thing out the window.

I just got another one from BigW, a waterproof, drop proof Lumix to carry around in my handbag, I took these at the Brittany specialty, it was pouring rain and the DSLR would not have come out in this weather, got some funny water on the lens effects :laugh:

5127602483_940870a141.jpg

5128210310_7d40c69f43.jpg

5127602141_967110765c.jpg

5128281152_a163cc264b.jpg

5133109754_a1b1bccec9.jpg

Edited by helen

I have a Lumix too after seeing the photos a friend took on his on the same OS trip as me. I have tried experimenting with the different options but a bad photographer is still a bad photographer! I have bravely let go of the flash for most photos but find myself fiddling so much with the zoom that the subject in question has usually moved on. My other issue is I now need seperate glasses for close up and distance things but no glasses for say working on a computer. I never to know whether to have glasses on or off and whether that is affecting my focussing. The saddest part is I studied photography in high school on a very good (back then) 35mm camera and have studied digital video at uni so you think I'd know something????? I think I suffer from pressing (the button) pressure.....

haha cool! I do love my Lumix! and although I take heaps I don't tend to show them off much, this thread may encourage me to get them out into the light of day :(

huga: I'm guessing you were referring to this photo from last weeks 52 Weeks shot of Jamie girl at the park?

5170967359_e82b10b349_z.jpg

I took it to New York with me last month, and actually regret I didn't get it out of my pocket more often, but here are a couple:

5177608225_c2117e4359_z.jpg

5177609095_662ac6a034_z.jpg

a couple of flower macros :(

5188898929_3bda6f8bba_z.jpg

4992333449_e3ce9f7ab3_z.jpg

and of course, long walks with the dogs where carrying a big heavy camera is out of the question, it's always worth it

4742221752_1c2672f765_z.jpg

4741583947_77864f15c8_z.jpg

I have even developed a daylight-with-the-lumix lightroom preset, not sure anyone really likes it, but I reckon it's cool ;)

4742214818_736e98aff0_z.jpg

and I tend to take cloud photos a bit with it too?

4327085427_b9420ab1bc_z.jpg?zz=1

:(

oh, and all time fav of my many phone pics is this one (yup my avatar :( )

4690065511_c78c9fa894_z.jpg

Great idea for a thread huga, I love my pana and still use it a bit for the more dirty outings, dogs, beach etc. Will pop some pics up soon. Nice shots everyone!

Edited to add, just curious for the ones who have panasonics what models do you have?

Edited by tlc

Yeah CM, that was the shot ;) But I had also seen the red/pink flower and loved that little bit of flare behind it.

Fantastic shots - love the New York at night ones. I've found the Lumix awesome for long exposures. I've barely done any on the DSLR.

ETA I love how you've made a preset just for daylight with the lumix :( Awesome.

Edited by huga