Thundershirt For Dogs With Fear/anxiety Etc

helen

Huge storms here yesterday as well. The thunder & lightening was an absolute belter. Mish's 2nd wear of the shirt. I reckon the length of time between barks was longer from the last time. In the old days, the poor old thing would be shaking like a leaf. The old girl only really got revved up because Spirit was barking ....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huge storms here yesterday as well. The thunder & lightening was an absolute belter. Mish's 2nd wear of the shirt. I reckon the length of time between barks was longer from the last time. In the old days, the poor old thing would be shaking like a leaf. The old girl only really got revved up because Spirit was barking ....

I have high hopes as my boy always tries to get as close to us (or to our other dog, which is very out of character) as possible during a storm, and he is comforted by touch. He doesn't bark, but he paces, pants, and his eyes glaze over he is so stressed :thumbsup: Have just ordered one, I will report back as well!

I prefer not to discuss Spirit's breeder in an open forum thanks. ;) Spirit is my responsibility now that I own her, so I have to fix the problem, which we're doing very nicely with her Thunder Shirt. :)

That's fine, no probs :) , but as long as people understand that showing and describing the behaviour you have to contend with from a GSD on an open forum is NOT the behaviour that a genetically sound GSD exhibits or what a prospective GSD buyer should expect when essentially choosing a breed of iconic unflappable confidence and strength. As a GSD owner, lover and enthusiast myself, I hope you can understand my feelings that what you have posted doesn't portray the breed in the light inwhich they are supposed to be :)

All breeds have dogs that don't fit the breed description. There are dogs within every breed that aren't quite mentality right.

There's not need to be protective of the breed you love....being realistic is more the key as well as education.

This dog seems to have a great owner who is happy to work through the dogs emotional instabilities.

I have high hopes as my boy always tries to get as close to us (or to our other dog, which is very out of character) as possible during a storm, and he is comforted by touch. He doesn't bark, but he paces, pants, and his eyes glaze over he is so stressed ;) Have just ordered one, I will report back as well!

This shirt should work well for your dog then. :)

This dog seems to have a great owner who is happy to work through the dogs emotional instabilities.

Thanks SAS. You know me in RL, so you know how much I love my fur kids & know I'll always do what it takes to give them the best life possible. :)

I find thundershirts work really well in a variety of situations with my dog.

the only problem I find is that my other dog keeps taking it off! this limits the situations I can use it in.

I had it on him during the big big storm the riverina experienced yesterday evening (it went for hours, with lightening, thunder and hail) and he was able to just lie on his bed and relax. if I didn't have it on he would have spent a lot more time hiding under my desk, or under the kitchen table.

Wow! These sound really interesting and I think I'll definately have to give them a go for my two. They hate thunder and are very noise reactive. I look forward to hearing how those of you who have already bought them go with them.

my dog made herself physically sick with last nights storm and basically had to sit on me, so i only had about three hours sleep. will be interested in hearing any updates, as she is also extremely noise sensitive to the little athletics guns (little athletics are held in the park behind me) and i generally have to move her to another house and she is scared stiff, and hides under the office desk at this other house

that must be such a good feeling to achieve so much with her

I noticed they reckon it stops lead pulling. Brittanys are notorious lead pullers. Might have to borrow my friend's and give it a test run LOL

If you find any difference with pulling, let me know and I'll give one a shot. Akira is awful on lead.

Actually, I should probably try one anyway and see if there's any improvement with her fear of men.

Edited by whiskedaway

I noticed they reckon it stops lead pulling. Brittanys are notorious lead pullers. Might have to borrow my friend's and give it a test run LOL

If you find any difference with pulling, let me know and I'll give one a shot. Akira is awful on lead.

Actually, I should probably try one anyway and see if there's any improvement with her fear of men.

Perhaps your dog just needs to be lead trained?

Perhaps your dog just needs to be lead trained?

Would you like me to list everything we've tried and what our obedience school has said about Akira's pulling? Even THEY have given up on her, yet she can walk perfectly on leash in our yard because there's nothing to overstimulate her. I am certain her problem is excitement, hence why trying to calm her down would probably be very useful.

Oh dear another item I need to consider for my girl (I've been trying to stop spending money) - might make me feel happier when she is at home during a storm and I am at work worrying about her. She doesn't like storms very much like lots of dogs.

After reading this thread and looking at the Thundershirt site, I ordered two for my dogs yesterday. Neither like storms or fireworks, but Emmylou is substantially worse than Indiana. When I'm home during a storm I can put them in their crates, which works, but I worry about what happens if I'm not home - particularly as I'm going back to work next year. I'm also curious to see if the thundershirt will help Em with her general reactiveness, especially things like the way she yaps and bounces around prior to a walk, lead pulling (like others, we've tried all sorts of things), seeing other dogs on walks and her excitability around visitors and children.