How Do You Cope, When You Know Your Dog Is Dying

newfsie

You will know , he will know when it is time to leave the pack and go to Rainbow Bridge . :)

that darn Lymphona took my Old Biddy Dec 08 . :)

Hun all I can say is Cherish each and every day you have with the dear fella.

:)

Tobias looks like a lovely fellow. Beautiful photo of him.

U are an angel for rescuing him and doing ALL THAT U CAN to make his last months/weeks/days as easy for him as possible.

He is lucky to have u watching over him :)

When the time comes i'm sure he will be at peace in knowing that he had you there with him till the end :)

Such beautiful photos. They all look so happy.

Just remember Toby will be just fine with it all when his time comes.

I find it makes it easier to bear when we remind ourselves that we are the only ones that will suffer when we have to let one of our dogs go.

It is you who will have to deal with a broken heart. The pain is yours

Don't feel sad for Toby just be kind to yourself :)

Its a toughy but chreish the time you have and make it a happy time for him - lots of games, walks and cuddles. If he is naughty, don't be mad, life is too short to be mad at them.

Remember to take time to breathe!

When it comes time, you will know. I always thought it was a trite saying until I got to that point with my boy. When I looked at him I knew he was too tired and there was too much there for him to fight.

When he passes, expect to feel relief. It is a hard emotion to reconcile when you have just lost them but the emotional toll of caring for a chronically ill dog is immense - the up and downs of emotions, the constant vigilance of them, watching for the changes, medication etc etc. I was sad but there was a lot of relief but the grief did kick in later.

Sorry you are going through this but enjoy the time you have.

For me you just cope the best way you can I guess.

It is never long enough

You never have enough time to come to terms with it.

I woke one morning to a dog with a hugely bloated abdomen I was sure I knew what it meant and I was right. I had my girl due to hard work from myself and my vet for another month before I decided enough was enough.

His quaility of life is brilliant he is having a great time and he has no idea his time is going to be shorter than is should be. That is our burden to bear. You are doing the best you can for him, as hard as it is try not to think of the end or when it may or may not be, try to think instead when you get to the end of the day - that was a good one.

I know your heart is slowly tearing in two and it hurts :)

When he passes, expect to feel relief. It is a hard emotion to reconcile when you have just lost them but the emotional toll of caring for a chronically ill dog is immense - the up and downs of emotions, the constant vigilance of them, watching for the changes, medication etc etc. I was sad but there was a lot of relief but the grief did kick in later.

I can identify with this and you do feel a little guilty, but it is true.

Ah yes - the guilt at feeling relieved it is over - not only for the dog but for you can do your head in.

Ah yes - the guilt at feeling relieved it is over - not only for the dog but for you can do your head in.

Yep

But it is so hard, so da.... hard to adore this dog and watch him die.

You don't. You adore this dog and watch him live. And cherish every moment he gives you and makes you laugh and smile; every naval contemplating moment he shares with you. And you take a leaf from his book - the one that says "live for the moment" and which teaches you not to dwell in the past or dread the future.

:cheer:

I totally understand... I think we have all felt this - not only when with a terminal illness, but when a faithful old friend ages too quickly before our eyes. I feel this everyday with my Chloe. I rejoice everyday she is well, because I know that at almost 13 and with arthritis and Cushings disease - I don't have as long as I'd like. She's been my best friend for 13 years. I have no idea how I'll cope, but I take comfort knowing I have given her the best life I could possibly give, given her the best health care, and loved her more than any dog could ask for. And Newfsie, so should you with Tobias. Feel comfort knowing you are now giving him the life, happiness and love that any dog could need.

He sounds like such a special boy to have touched you so. I think Tobias has touched us all a little. Those extra special ones are few and far between, be glad that you get to spend time with such an angel.

I wish Tobias many, many more good days. I wish him much happiness and good doggy times in his remaining days ahead. But most of all, I wish all the best for you - who has given this lovely soul his second chance at happiness. I'm sure he will be forever grateful.

You don't. You adore this dog and watch him live. And cherish every moment he gives you and makes you laugh and smile; every naval contemplating moment he shares with you. And you take a leaf from his book - the one that says "live for the moment" and which teaches you not to dwell in the past or dread the future.

Yes we are cherishing every moment. Tobias is eating only what he likes to eat.........lamb hearts (five a day). lamb's fry and brisket bones (cut just the right size so he can manage them at the back of his mouth). He still loves to eat. No more medicines and no more chicken mince balls, which he thought were oridnary. Ywe went to the lake, he likes to paddle. But his lump is getting very large, but does not bother him. he just walks a bit funny. He sleeps well and still barks at those darn little ponies next door when they come to our fence :( Because he cannot figure what they are. he doesn't bother our horses.

Ditto this from me... those pics are of a dog loving and living life in doggy fullness.... how wonderful that this gorgeous lad has been gifted that opportunity.. we humans often cloud the present with the tears for what will happen inthe future... byall means prepare but remain in thepresent as do our wonderful dogs..

hugs to you the journey is never easy but it is filled with riches beyond counting

b;essings

H

I remember seeing stuff about this boy when you first took him on. It is horrible that there are people out there who abuse or neglect animals that to us seem to have beautiful natures. Remember that dogs live in the moment so what Toby does every day now is far more important to him than what happened in the past - he has pushed all that to the back of his mind. Yes it sucks that his life is going to be cut short but some dogs are amazing - I have one over 16 now full of cancer but still going like nothing is wrong. One day she will go downhill and it will be time but until then we make the most of what we have. That's all you can do with Toby. His time will come but it my not be for quite a while given what he has already endured. Until it does every day for him will be wonderful in your care so try and accept the joy he brings and deal with the sad stuff when you absolutely have to.

He's a beautiful boy - he is having a ball ..... that's all he knows :rofl: He will feel ill one day .. and then you will have to step back and do what you have to do for HIM, not you .

When he can no longer run /swim/cope with the pack .... when he is missing out on the fun, and his eyes get that faraway look ...the look that says"I am concentrating on something else... something mysterious....I haven't room for your world now..I am tired" then you will give him his well deserved wings and a chance to rest :D

:thumbsup:

I like to give my guys their wings when they can still crack a smile..and be interested in a car ride or a meal ..I refuse to let them be invalids .

Corvus wrote :

I will always treasure that moment when I felt all the pain leave her body. I only wish I could be guaranteed the same when it's my time.

Indeed ;)

I like to give my guys their wings when they can still crack a smile..and be interested in a car ride or a meal ..I refuse to let them be invalids .

Me, too. You know that phrase, 'to put a dog out of its misery'? Well, I don't want it to get to that 'misery' stage. I want them to be saved from sheer misery of existence.

So it's a matter of picking the time, even tho' it breaks my heart.

A vet who agreed with me, commented about his experiences with his own dogs & cats and their last times. He said he'd regretted sometimes, for the pet's sake, that he hadn't made the PTS decision a tad sooner.

But he'd never regretted making it too soon.