Whelping At Shows

Nevafollo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there is a rule because isn't there a rule about taking pups to shows under a certain age?

However if the bitch decided to whelp early (as can often happen) it could be quite unexpected and best to finish the job in one spot, regardless of where it is, than dash home in what often is hours long drive, leaving a bitch to whelp in the back seat or a trailer.

It does happen....I almost got caught with a bitch that was due late the following week....took her with me to keep watch, when I set up my stuff on the Friday evening....was at the show on Saturday and my son was on whelp watch, only to call me to say she'd started...clearly she didn't read the gestation calendar I stuffed in front of her nose after the mating was done!

There is a rule in Vic

VCA Penalty Guidelines

3. Abuse of Animals

3.1 Physical abuse at or in connection with an event by individual 1yr/$500 Life Suspension

3.2 Physical abuse at or in connection with an event by a Club Lose event for 1yr/$500 Lose event for 5 yrs/$500

3.3 Neglect endangering wellbeing of an animal by individual 12mths/$300 5yrs/$500

3.4 Neglect endangering wellbeing of an animal by club Lose event for 1 yr/$300Lose event for 5 yrs/$500

3.5 Cruelty to an animal 5yrs/$500 Life Suspension

3.6 Whelping bitches at an event site 12mths/$300 5yrs/$500

:) I do not think there is ANY excuse for having a bitch in whelp at a show.....

If you have mated a bitch, then you should be well aware of the pending litter and NOT attend shows, or she should be left at home in care of a responsible adult....

I am sure the Canine Council would have a very dim view of this also....... :eek:

I have seen a few litters born in the parking lot of shows both in Canada and the States...no, it's not really allowed either, and yes, it's frowned upon....however...why would it jeopardise or create Council havoc if done by a competant person? We see PLENTY of morons attempting to whelp bitches in their homes, only to have catastrophic problems due to inexperience.

I'm not saying I"m in favour of a bunch of bitches whelping at shows, but I"m also not going to say that the moment I mate a bitch, she and myself remain home with her wrapped in bubble wrap. As I mentioned, I got almost got caught once....24 hours.....and recently we had a litter where the bitch was a week to go, gave no signs of any impending labour/delivery and whelped her first pup on the back porch with the gang watching. It was only the squeek of the pup that gave indication (as it was dark) At least at a show, perhaps there would be less chance to go hide under a porch or in some far corner of the yard if an early whelping happened.

I would say, that no fingers should be pointed too harshly in the OP's situation as no one here other than perhaps them, knows the circumstances of the whelping.

I have seen a few litters born in the parking lot of shows both in Canada and the States...no, it's not really allowed either, and yes, it's frowned upon....however...why would it jeopardise or create Council havoc if done by a competant person? We see PLENTY of morons attempting to whelp bitches in their homes, only to have catastrophic problems due to inexperience.

I'm not saying I"m in favour of a bunch of bitches whelping at shows, but I"m also not going to say that the moment I mate a bitch, she and myself remain home with her wrapped in bubble wrap. As I mentioned, I got almost got caught once....24 hours.....and recently we had a litter where the bitch was a week to go, gave no signs of any impending labour/delivery and whelped her first pup on the back porch with the gang watching. It was only the squeek of the pup that gave indication (as it was dark) At least at a show, perhaps there would be less chance to go hide under a porch or in some far corner of the yard if an early whelping happened.

I would say, that no fingers should be pointed too harshly in the OP's situation as no one here other than perhaps them, knows the circumstances of the whelping.

With a week to go I would have NOT gone to any shows, but that is just me, when I mate a bitch I would expect NOT to go !!!!

No other dogs other than those entered should be on the grounds anyway, so rule broken there...

I know these things happen and I also know of people having 2 /3 weeks old litters in the trailers, before missing a show...

Not good practice I think.....

JMO

Edited by Mandalay

I'll face the firing squad.

We did it once.

She was in the car in the back with me for the 4 minute drive to the show grounds. It was a small show, less than 50 dogs and she never left the trailer once we arrived. Great puppies too. Not an issue with any of them and mum was comfortable and whelped freely. If it had been an ordinary show we wouldn't have considered it but it was a specialty we didn't want to miss.

*flame suit engaged

In my world there's one rule, once mated - no shows.

It's appalling to think of bitches in whelp and actually whelping at a show, for dog's sake its a dog show - not life & death if you miss a couple.

fifi

edited to add words

Edited by fifi

So, some of you would also think that once a woman is pregnant she should not leave the grounds of her home other than for check ups.

Come on now, plenty of pups have been born under the house in the dirt and mother and pups have done well.

Plenty of babies also born in vehicles on the way to hospital.

Whats wrong with being born a show ground. Plenty of experienced people to lend a hand and who's dogs aren't vaccinated.

Watching the many posts that have been on DOL - I am compelled to comment......

Firstly, It absolutely staggers me that there are people on DOL who know of others who have had bitches whelping at shows or even taking litters of pups only weeks old to shows.

Secondly another thread here is that breeders agree with the idea of breeding half brother to half sister or father daughter etc..... In fact numous people on this thread are stating that they have these matings already happening or expecting anyday.....

Are these the people who are considered the experienced and respected breeders of our dog community. The breeders from the 70's and 80's were prepared to line breed say 3:3. and it was completely frowned upon to consider things closer. These older breeders produced type and substance as well as good temperaments.

There have been many times on DOL when we have seen how the 'showie' community are extremely judgemental about those who breed but do not show.......

Draw your own conclusions........

I wouldn't show a bitch once the pregnancy was confirmed (eg 4 weeks) and I totally respect the actions of those who don't show after mating. As far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible to take a bitch out of her home environment (except to the vet) in the last few weeks of pregnancy. If you can't get someone else to show your dogs that week then you just don't show. It's not like you don't have AT LEAST 9 weeks to plan and not enter shows. Sometimes I think people's determination to show takes over their common sense and their pet's welfare.

I can't imagine having a baby at a friggin dog show and I wouldn't expect a bitch to either. They deserve peace and quiet away from the noise and attention. I can't imagine a place further away from noise and attention than a dog show.

I wouldn't show a bitch once the pregnancy was confirmed (eg 4 weeks) and I totally respect the actions of those who don't show after mating. As far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible to take a bitch out of her home environment (except to the vet) in the last few weeks of pregnancy. If you can't get someone else to show your dogs that week then you just don't show. It's not like you don't have AT LEAST 9 weeks to plan and not enter shows. Sometimes I think people's determination to show takes over their common sense and their pet's welfare.

I can't imagine having a baby at a friggin dog show and I wouldn't expect a bitch to either. They deserve peace and quiet away from the noise and attention. I can't imagine a place further away from noise and attention than a dog show.

I agree, I'm totally stunned to be honest