Anyone With Experience?

MyMia

Hello everyone :thumbsup:

Long time reader, first time posting :confused: Not sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move this somewhere else.

I have just gotten a puppy who is deaf. She is just a beautiful girl and i love her, but didnt know she was deaf when i got her. So am now a little overwhelmed about what to do. I was hoping that there might be some people on here who have some experience with training deaf puppies? Or know anyone/ or anywhere in SA that i could go and talk to about training? Will most trainers at dog clubs know how to train me to help her? Would she even be accepted to train at dog clubs? She is a mix breed, so i just mean the local clubs that do training, not the pure breed clubs.

I hope that people can understand what i wrote, lol. I just have so many questions and am not sure where to go.

Don't panic. She can be trained fairly easily (don't try clicker though :thumbsup: ) and most clubs should be able to adapt their methods to a deaf dog. Just ask around the clubs near you.

The important thing to do is get her focused on you, so that she will watch you for signals. You will need to use touch or vibration (foot stomp on floor etc.) to get her attention at first. Still use voice when working with her - not because she can hear you, but because most people have clearer body languauge when they are speaking at the same time. I have no idea why that is the case.

If she's like some deaf dogs I've known, when she is feeling naughty she will deliberately look away so as not to be told what to do!!!! :confused:

If you start a thread in the training forum, you should get lots of advice.

You will be able to teach her using hand signals, body language as this is the way dogs learn before they begin to know what we are saying to them. I have seen a dog doing k9 freestyle & he is so focused on his handler & so willing & happy to do it that he is a joy to watch, although not deaf from birth.

Wow, thanks for the super quick replies :thumbsup:

I know i probably overreacting, but i just wanna give her the best life possible. I want to teach her the right things straight off. I will e-mail a few local clubs and see what they say.

Its funny cause i was looking at clicker training before i realized she was deaf, cause i love the whole 'positive reinforcement' aspect of it. Im hoping i will find something similar for her instead.

The winner of the Novice Obedience Dog class at last years Sydney Royal was a deaf cattle dog trained by a lovely lady from Armidale.

Dogs cope fine being deaf, the owners just need to have clear and consistent hand signals. :thumbsup: Also heavily reward the dog for being attentive to the handler.

Wow, thanks for the super quick replies :thumbsup:

I know i probably overreacting, but i just wanna give her the best life possible. I want to teach her the right things straight off. I will e-mail a few local clubs and see what they say.

Its funny cause i was looking at clicker training before i realized she was deaf, cause i love the whole 'positive reinforcement' aspect of it. Im hoping i will find something similar for her instead.

I have heard of a small pen light or laser pointer being used as a clicker. The kind where they are only on when the button is held in. I have seen some cheap key chain type 1s at various times in Cheap as Chips and Reject Shop.

I think positive reinforcement is a very good way to go for a deaf puppy. Many corrections the dog can learn to avoid as it receives a warning before the correction. Many of these are based on hearing - a beep of a collar before it shocks, the rattle of a check chain before it is checked, even a verbal "steady" or "ah-ah". A dog that is deaf can not pick up on these cues and alter their behaviour. Also the dog needs to really want to look at you as it will rely on body language and hand signals for so much more. Positive reinforcement that comes from you will make the dog keener to look to you.

There used to be (and could still be) a very active training group on yahoo groups called deafdogs. Also try googling deaf dog training and I think there are articles out there. Some strategies I have heard of are a vibrating collar being used as a clicker or alternatively like a "pager" to get the dog's attention, flicking an outside light on and off a couple of times as a sign to come inside, if living with floor boards the use of tapping on these for different things. I am fairly sure I remember reading about use of scents for deaf dogs but I can't remember how or why. You do need to be careful to approach from an angle they can see you and be careful of how you wake them as they tend to go into a deeper sleep.

I would also suggest that you try and look into some private training first. Good luck.

I'll put my hand up too. It is doubtful that you will get a lot of help at obedience - unless you find a trainer who has experience with deaf dogs, or is very open minded. I'd ask though.

First trick is to keep the dog's attention on you. Difficult with a pup - use touch, get the pup to look at you, reward. Do it often, lots of rewards.

Then teach it to come.

You can use the vibration on the floor to get the dog's attention. EVERY single time you get her attention, reward and praise. Remember to smile. I never realised they know when you are smiling, but my deaf dog used to smile back when I smiled at him - every time. A smile was as good as a treat to him. At first I thought it was an accident - nope, he deliberately smiled if I smiled at him. Sometimes, he'd smile first, and if I didn't smile back, he would be dejected.

Use your hands to pat and stroke. Often

Teach all the usual commands by signal. I used to slap my leg for come.

A laser pointer is a good idea.

I used a torch at night - shone it on the boy, and he knew that was come. When he was off lead, he would regularly look at me for the signal to come.

He was a fantastic dog - he was wasted not doing obedience, so keen and happy to please. A really fantastic dog.

Edited to add - no negative training, unless she does something absolutely outrageous and not training related. Catching her eating your curtains is probably one. Other thing is, don't feel sorry for her. If you are a deaf dog, you have no idea that other dogs can hear, so you don't worry about being deaf. And the more trained a deaf dog is, the happier he is. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jed

Hi,

You might want to start on this web site.

http://www.deafdogs.org/training/

Lots of pages to read through with lots of ideas and advice.

You may find some support at this web site

http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/

Also this might help, videos of training deaf dogs

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=deaf+dog...ved=0CEkQqwQwBw

There is lots more on the web to give you ideas on how you might want to train your dog.

When looking for a school make sure they use only positive training methods, and you might sped a little tome on the web reading about positive training you can make the judgement if what they are teaching is positive.

Just some veyr quick tips for right now. If you touch your dog to get its attention then I suggest 2 light taps each time - anywhere but on the head. If you only do one the dog may be unsure if you just bumped into it so always two so it can differentiate. I don't recommend your dog be off leash until she has visual recall because you can't call her back if there is danger. So I'd avoid that for the saftety of your dog at present including in your driveway, near roads or on walks. Be careful around other dogs as your dog wont be able to hear them giving her back off growls. If you have timber floors at home stamping your feet will get her attention. I still talk to deaf dogs as I think they still respond to the positive body language and expressions.

The key is having that dogs focus on you wherever possible so it can learn and follow hand commands. I have a deaf dog (due to age) and recently met two wonderful deaf ACD's who were very obediant (one only a young pup). One thing I've noticed though is if a deaf dog gets in trouble from their human they can make a hell of a racket. Tell your neighbours your dog is deaf in case it gets out of the yard or in case it kicks up a stink sometime and they think you are trying to throttle it!

Good luck with your girl!

Lots of good advice also get a remote vibration collar. When you have trained her to it, the vibration replaces your voice to get her to recall or get her attention. This would be the first thing I would be doing with a deaf dog. Highly reinforce her looking at you.

We have a not quite completely deaf dog (but just about!) at dog club she is trained with hand signals and is about to embark on her first trial. She is a Stafford

Be careful about using Laser pointers. Make sure you NEVER shine it towards his eyes. They are very dangerous items.

I know of some people who have successfully used pulse collars/harness. Do not confuse with shock collars. As the pulse is very very low and not used in a shock sense. Think of it as a vibration from a mobile phone.

Has the puppy been confirmed deaf by BAER testing? If not, then I would look at getting this done. They lightly sedate the pup and put electrodes just under the skin around the head and run frequencies. At the end of the test, you will know if your dog is completely deaf in one or both ears or how much hearing is lost.

Talk to your vet about BAER testing. I know it is done up here in Qld through the Uni Of Queensland (UQ) small animal clinic. Deafness is sometimes associated with the white gene and often pups who have a lot of white or are white dogs can suffer from deafness.

Cosmolo has some experience working with deaf dogs. I'm trying to remember the DOL name of the owners of the dog. You'd never know she was deaf, she responds hand signals, don't think they use fancy lights and things.

If I can find the DOL name I'll let you know.

Found it!

The DOLer call name is Fattima. Their deaf girl truly is wonderful and well adjusted, perhaps drop them a PM.

Hello everyone :)

Long time reader, first time posting :) Not sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move this somewhere else.

I have just gotten a puppy who is deaf. She is just a beautiful girl and i love her, but didnt know she was deaf when i got her. So am now a little overwhelmed about what to do. I was hoping that there might be some people on here who have some experience with training deaf puppies? Or know anyone/ or anywhere in SA that i could go and talk to about training? Will most trainers at dog clubs know how to train me to help her? Would she even be accepted to train at dog clubs? She is a mix breed, so i just mean the local clubs that do training, not the pure breed clubs.

I hope that people can understand what i wrote, lol. I just have so many questions and am not sure where to go.

Many years ago my friend had a deaf Dalmation who competed well in Obedience with the use of hand signals. Dogs are very adaptable, I have another friend who has a young dog who is totally blind and has been since birth and he copes very well in a multi dog household where he is the special love of his human mum. You can probabaly find some books on the internet to help you deal with things like training and living with a deaf dog. Good luck with her, I'm sure she won't disapoint you.