Letting Go Of Your Dog

Little Gifts

When one of my Rotti girls passed and we buried her in the corner of the back yard, the male that had paired with her sat on top of her grave for a whole week. We even had to bring him his food there... it was pitiful to watch him grieve for his girl. He was fine after that week though...

The girl above had a sense for when there was something seriously medically wrong with people too...

T.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope all went well, Greytmate. PS and lovemymutts.

Depending on what is wrong with dogs, in the last few days, they will follow you closely, and want to go everywhere with you. I believe they do know. I think everyone else knows too. For them it is simply a step from this life to the other, and I think they know about the other life - for us it is often major trauma.

And we miss them. That is normal. If we are satisfied that we did our best, we feel better.

Kirty, maybe get another opinion on the Dane? In most cases, you know whether your pet is in pain ... provided you have had some experience .. you have had.

Depending on what is wrong with dogs, in the last few days, they will follow you closely, and want to go everywhere with you. I believe they do know. I think everyone else knows too. For them it is simply a step from this life to the other, and I think they know about the other life - for us it is often major trauma.

And we miss them. That is normal. If we are satisfied that we did our best, we feel better.

Kirty, maybe get another opinion on the Dane? In most cases, you know whether your pet is in pain ... provided you have had some experience .. you have had.

With my boy, he didn't want to sleep in his crate or on my bed anymore. He didn't want to go in the bedroom. Instead he wanted to be in my parents' room. They were overseas at the time and that's when I got it. He was telling me he was waiting for them to come home. To me it seemed like he was going away from me but on his last day, he stuck to me like velcro.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It went smoothly, it was time for Goldie to go. Poor old Goldie still had her spirit but she was so tired and in a lot of discomfort, and probably a lot of pain. She was just a bag of bones.

Because our normal vet was away, we took her out to a greyhound vet near Gatton. She didn't even have to get out of the cool car, and she was put to sleep in my arms.

:):laugh: :D

:D

god, i am sitting here in tears

While i have lost a few pets growing up, I have only ever had to make the choice on 1 dog, and help make the choice on another dog

One was our SBT, Zeus, he was 14 and going down hill fast, I wanted him PTS a while before we did it, but Mum wasnt ready.

She just rung me one day and told me to come and get him, that it was time - I never asked her what made her say it was ok, but he must have let her know. I went to pick him up and he was happy to see me, walking fine, acting like nothing was wrong. We went to our vet, on the way in he collapsed while walking up the stairs, our vet who had been great, she says it like it is and will tell you if she thinks they have more time or not, she checked him out and told us it was the right choice. He was a grumpy shit at the vets :D , so they took him out the back and got him set up, with a line in, so we could sit with him and she could give him the drugs without us seeing him get upset - i am so glad that my final memories are of him sitting in my lap on the floor and just falling asleep. It was so peaceful, our vet also left us there for as long as we wanted, when we were ready, she gently took him and handing him to Pets At Peace.

the other dog was not mine, he was a 6 month bull terrier who was a spinner, with his owners we knew it was time, i also held him while he got his wings. It broke my heart, he was such a happy boy :)

I have also had a dog pass away on his own, duke was a 8 year old bulldog with heart problems, we had no idea his time was near, while he was old, there was nothing else going on, his heart was the same as it always was, he was his usual happy self and showed no signs of his time being near. My brother rung me in a panic, said Dad found duke not moving, i ran over and he was gone, he took the choice out of our hands, and honestly, i think it was harder than us having to make the choice... we had no time to prepare ourselves for losing him, it hit my dad hard :laugh:

so yes, i do believe they tell you when it is time, but sometimes it is just hard for us to be able to do what is needed. The thought of losing any of mine makes me sick, i have a 9, 7.5, almost 7, almost 6 and 2 year old, I hate that 4 of them are getting into old age and threads like this rip me apart thinking that time is going to go to fast and then I will be in your situation.

Good luck, and whatever you decide, it is the right choice

I made the promise to my heart girl that I would not let her suffer or lose her dignity just so I didn't have to be without her. She had a mamory tumor removed at 8 years old and the vet told me she could be with me for 12 months or maybe less. I was lucky and had her for another 6.5 years. She started to really slow down over a period of four weeks - nothing major until one night she started vomiting & couldn't keep anything down even water. I sat up the whole night with her trying to make her comfortable.

I was at the vet first thing in the morning. He told me it didn't look good. I made the decision to give her her wings :cheer: She peacefully went to the bridge in my arms. It was the hardest thing I have every done.

Six months later on my way home, my mum rang to say her brother was not well. When I saw him lying there, I knew it was his time. My dad was so upset, crying & saying he didn't want him to go. But I had to say "he is tired, he has reached 15 years old, never been sick, has had a wonderful life, has travelled to most states & met lots of people who love him too. It is not fair to make him suffer just so we don't have to say goodbye". He had my mum and I with him when he made his journey.

You seem to see it in their eyes - sometimes I think they try and stay through the pain for our sakes. I know my heart girl will always be with me in spirit and I am lucky that both of them live on through their children & offspring.

Sorry for your loss Greytmate :D

Thank you Jed, I know I will have to make a date within the next month & it kills me. :cheer: My old boy has always been loyal & followed me but I have noticed that he has been following me alot more lately. I know he is tired & I will do the right thing by him.

My old girl Kassy, a Lhasa Apso (cross?) is 17 and I fear the end is coming rapidly. She's not unwell and still has her dignity and a good quality of life, but she's slowing down, sleeps a LOT and is very, very thin. She seems happy enough, I keep hoping she'll just pass away peacefully in her sleep, while she's still like this.

My vet has been flooded in and I wasn't keen on having life and death discussions with a locum so we have a new appointment for Ricky for tomorrow now. She has been ok but spending most of her time just sleeping in the air cond. Still gets panicky if she isn't with someone. Has been eating and drinking and going out to toilet and also had a bit of a play with me and Stussy on the bed this morning. I've had to come to work today so she is being babysat at mum and dad's. I'm off tomorrow though so we'll have all day together again.

Greytmate I'm very sorry about Goldie. Big hugs to you.

One of my co-workers had to pts her old dog on christmas eve. She's always supporting all my fund raising for rescue and I'm hoping that when she is ready she might actually become a foster carer for rescue dogs.

We are pretty sad around here at the moment, but we are glad that Goldie is finally at peace.

This was a very long time coming, she had been living with cancer (spindle cell sarcoma) for five years, and then lately I think her heart started to have to work too hard. She had a scarred respiratory passage as a result of an earlier illness, that made her breathe very raspy when she panted. She was fine breathing with her mouth closed. Over the years this had become a lot worse and towards the end she had to be kept constantly air-conditioned so she didn't have to pant and she could breathe easily. She has been partly incontinent due to her cancer treatment for the last three years. She can't really hold on for more than half a minute, if at all. She has also had arthritis for the last couple of years and has been on metacam.

About six months go she went off her food and started building up with fluid, and we thought she was going to die. But we treated her and she recovered and went back to her happy, playful self. But she got fussier and fussier with food and wasn't eating enough to sustain health. She gradually lost a lot of weight.

A few days ago the fluid started building up again in Goldie, and an increase in fluid tablets didn't reduce it. Poor Goldie just lay on her mat in the air-conditioning all day on Sunday, she didn't want to get up at all, and she never wagged her tail when I patted her. She did get up a couple of times that evening, but she looked distressed. The fluid tablets made her very thirsty, and I was giving her water all day on Sunday. She ate some roast chicken, and I gave her dog treats, which she would take, but only eat if one of the other dogs looked at her.

On Monday, she didn't get up at all, except to go to a cooler spot, and she didn't wag her tail when my friend arrived.

She did wag her tail when I put her lead on her to take her to the vets and she trotted happily (but shakily) out to the front lawn, went to the toilet on command, and jumped in the car all by herself. She was very excited about going out.

She was very quiet on the trip to the vets, and we had cooled the car right down so she wasn't panting.

Now Goldie is gone, I am sure we did the right thing, but it sometimes it's hard to know. Goldie never seemed to give up at all, but she couldn't have been happy living like that. She had stopped rubbing her head on the couch and biting at the cushions in the last couple of weeks.

I'm going to really miss her, and will write a tribute to her in the Rainbow Bridge forum when I am ready. :thumbsup:

This is the hardest thread to read, but also the most loving.

There's that point where I know the next step for our dog is misery that won't go away. Breaks my heart to recognise it. But I won't let them suffer.

They get held & surrounded by love in their last moments. And always they've been trusting & calm & snuggled in.

The time I find appallingly hard, is getting thro' the night before the day of the vet appointment (usually our vet will do it at the home). I just hold them as they sleep.

Haven't read the whole thread but in my experience, I now can tell when it's my pets time to go.

I lost my kelpie who i had grown up with days before my 16th birthday (she was 20) and I was devestated, I'd had her since I was 3 years old, she and I went everywhere together. But she started deteriating and I had to make the decision, which was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I hated myself for a short while for putting her to sleep (it was my first animal that had to be PTS rather than passing away themselves), I felt so terrible that I had done it. But my vet came and sat me down and told me what I knew deep down. Tiny had kidney failure, liver failure and her heart couldn't take much more, I had saved her dying in agony and let her go while she could go with dignity.

*hugs* PS - No matter the outcome, I'm sure all us Dolers will be here for you :thumbsup:

Edited by Everythings Shiny

Sorry for your loss Greytmate :laugh:

Thank you Jed, I know I will have to make a date within the next month & it kills me. :thumbsup: My old boy has always been loyal & followed me but I have noticed that he has been following me alot more lately. I know he is tired & I will do the right thing by him.

This thread has made me cry, I'm sorry for those who've lost loved pets recently...

I think I'm about to make a decision soon as well :D :( Bit of denial going on in our house... she's not *there* yet, but I don't think it'll be long :(:laugh:

Edited by Bundy's Mum

I'm feeling a little like I've been run over by a truck today waiting to see the vet. We've had our appointment now and the outcome is that we are playing the waiting and watching and just enjoying each others company game now. Seems Ricky may have had a small stroke on the weekend. She also has very large tumours under each armpit which are what is affecting her walking.. Heart sounds good for her age, lungs slightly congested (which is the cancer spreading). No temp and not in any pain. Her appetite has also increased and she has only lost half a kilo since her last appointment. The vet said that while she has multiple serious health problems going on she wouldn't recommend pts yet based on the quality of life she still has. And yes I bawled like a big baby at the vets. I really thought she'd say to me that her organs were shutting down and it had to be done then and there.

We went for a walk before her appointment and she pooed and peed to her hearts content. Loved being in the car. Loved saying hello to the other animals at the vet and is currently right under my chair here snoring.

This is the part about being a dog owner I hate. I'll have to calm myself down now and be vigilant but not a worry wart and just get on with life for now.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and support. Big hugs to those of you going through the same thing. It sucks.

Puppy Sniffer. You will know if the time is right. Don't doubt your dog, she'll tell you. You will see it in her eyes, she will ask for your help. Don't worry about anything else. Just do what you know is right for your dog.

So true. The day my old girl was to be PTS, she gave me a look that I will never forget. :rofl:

It's hard. You will know when the time is right.

Hugs.

Edited by Cody

So sorry about Goldie, Greytmate. When they go, there is always a huge hole, and Goldie left an enormous one. May your heart heal.

Puppy Sniffer - when I read your second last post, I thought Ricky would be with you for a while yet. Thinking of you.