Whelping Box Setup

Paptacular!

My first litter is coming up at the beginning of February and I had my whelping box delivered last week.

The box is 900mm x 900mm, so it should be very roomy for a pap.

My question is, I'm going to be getting a piece of foam cut for the bedding. Should I do the whole 900 x 900 square, or do you think I should aim for 2/3rds of that size and have a small area near the entrance of the box free and unbedded for when the pups start to wander?

As they grow I will be extending a penned area from the box so they have room to walk/play.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome. :love:

In my whelping box I used newspapers and puppy training pads to absorb the moisture/liquid during the whelping, and then after have the paper and pads covered by the vet bed. If you are using the vet bed don't use the rubber backed one as the green backed one lets the moisture through more effectively (and the urine eventually effects the rubber). Also, cut your vet bed to size, and have at least three lots so you can wash/change regularly.

Good luck with your litter!

I would expect that a piece of foam would get a bit gross after one or two weeks, unless you're planning some time of cover on it?

I, too, would get it cut to the whole area.

I preferred to cover the whelping box with newspaper and then towels on top of - easier to clean. Slowly the pups are getting more elaborate kinds of bedding as they get cleaner.

I would also be wary of using foam in the box if you are also going to have a heating pad on. It could give off fumes which could effect the babies.

I use a few layers of newspaper, then vet bed and for the first two weeks cover the vet bed with baby blankets. I am wary of using towels as little claws can get stuck in the towelling. I also make sure that surrounding the box is a puppy pen covered by sheeting to keep out any drafts.

I always have a little laugh when people say they use foam in the whelping box - I wish! No bitch I've ever had would allow a challenge like that to go untaken, a foam matress would be history in a very short time :rofl:

For the first few weeks I would cover the floor of the whole box with dry bed, once the pups are more mobile I make 1/2 the box bed and the other 1/2 newspaper and they quickly learn to move on to the newspaper to pee.

I use the eggcup foam (bumpy) in the box. I have a piece that fits the whole box and another that does half the box.

I wrap the foam in a qs quilt cover (place foam inside and wrap cover over a couple times), in winter I also place a piece of sherpa/vet bed over the top (in summer I find the quilt cover is enough).

When the pups are mobile I use the half foam for bedding and newspaper for the rest of the box.

I have never had a bitch dig/rip up the foam yet.

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

My whelping box doesn't have a floor in it and I put a foam dog mat on the floor, took up about half the box, with tarp over the whole area, then put the box on top, then newspaper, blankets etc. I figured my princess wouldn't thank me for making her lay on just a few layers of papers and a couple of blankets, pups or no pups to distract her :thumbsup:

I use the eggcup foam (bumpy) in the box. I have a piece that fits the whole box and another that does half the box.

I wrap the foam in a qs quilt cover (place foam inside and wrap cover over a couple times), in winter I also place a piece of sherpa/vet bed over the top (in summer I find the quilt cover is enough).

When the pups are mobile I use the half foam for bedding and newspaper for the rest of the box.

I have never had a bitch dig/rip up the foam yet.

Leanne

This sounds good actually, with the quilt cover. Although I think my Mum got rid of a bunch of old sheets and quilt covers not long ago. :thumbsup:

I have my Paps in a crate bottom in the whelping box for the first 2 weeks. If you don't need a heat pad, I would peg a towel over 3/4 of the top to help keep the warmth in. You will find the pups will squirm to where they are most comfortable.

I haven't had the issues Sway has with the Rubber backed Vet Bed. It has been perfect for my last couple of litters. It is too hot for some of the adults and they prefer different bedding.

My whelping box is a little larger (purchased 20 years ago for Collie litters). I have it 50/50 newspaper / Vet Bed. Its amazing how soon they will start to crawl off to the side to toilet after starting on solids at 3 weeks old.

For a small breed you might find Patter's set up better. I do something similar for the Lowchen.

I have a bottom of a PP40 which I line with paper and stack with blankets/dry bed. In winter I put a heat pad in and put the top on to keep the heat in (tho not needed for Darwin) For the first couple of weeks mum and babes stay in there all snug and comfy. Once they start moving around, the pups start to explore the area I have penned off around the crate which I have lino on with paper. They soon learn to sleep in the box and play/toilet on the outside.

This sounds good actually, with the quilt cover. Although I think my Mum got rid of a bunch of old sheets and quilt covers not long ago

I get all mine quilt covers from op shops, normally cost $2-$4, they wash easy and dry quickly.

Leanne