Buying A Main Registered Dog

Pretty Miss Emma

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you contacted the breeder you got your current dog from? He/she already knows you, and may either be willing to help you out in getting a puppy from them, or may be able to give you a reference to another breeder who would then be more willing to let you have a pup on main register. I would think going back to the same breeder (assuming you were happy with them and like their dogs still) would show your interest to them, and they already know you so would be more willing to help.

Very hard to get a BC from a known kennel on the mains register in your name only. Start stalking breeders, lol. The BC breeders seem to be particularly thingy about it.

I am even considering getting an Aussie for a show pup as I reckon I will have more chance getting one of them!

Very hard to get a BC from a known kennel on the mains register in your name only. Start stalking breeders, lol. The BC breeders seem to be particularly thingy about it.

I am even considering getting an Aussie for a show pup as I reckon I will have more chance getting one of them!

I think you might find that an aussie could be harder to get as a show pup than a BC - most of the breeders seem very intent on keeping breeding stock under their own control and generally sell on limited.

This just seems to be a problem with may breeders these days - like they are scared of letting others in....... which is such a shame as it is harder for new people to get involved for the future.

I think you might find that an aussie could be harder to get as a show pup than a BC - most of the breeders seem very intent on keeping breeding stock under their own control and generally sell on limited.

This just seems to be a problem with may breeders these days - like they are scared of letting others in....... which is such a shame as it is harder for new people to get involved for the future.

Only the buyers can fix this limited register nonesense and the way to fix it is not to accept limited register pups, don't buy them and the breeders have no option but change their ways. If the breeders can get away with these stunts, they will continue to pull them and it's up to buyers to sort it out instead nodding their head allowing breeders to restrict their rights of owning a pedigree dog.

Only the buyers can fix this limited register nonesense and the way to fix it is not to accept limited register pups, don't buy them and the breeders have no option but change their ways. If the breeders can get away with these stunts, they will continue to pull them and it's up to buyers to sort it out instead nodding their head allowing breeders to restrict their rights of owning a pedigree dog.

I disagree ab. The kind of breeders who don't give a damn where their main register puppies end up are really not the kind of breeders I want to be buying a show quality puppy from at all, or any puppy for that matter.

If breeders are putting potential puppy buyers through hoops and taking damned good care not to place top notch potential breeding stock with unknown strangers, then I feel those breeders are much more likely to take care with health testing and thoughtful breeding/rearing for quality etc. And that is the kind of breeder I would want to buy from.

I know people though ;)

Hi,

I'm hoping people who are either breeders or who show their dogs may be able to give me some information.

This is planning for at least 12 months away (realistically probably longer). When I got Kenzie she was listed on the limited register, not a problem for me at that point because I wanted a pet dog to do obedience and agility with. She is wonderous and doing really well in these areas, hopefully will actually compete this year and do well. So being on the limit register is no problem.

However, as I'm sure many of you have experienced, I am falling more and more in love with the breed. I am thinking when I get my next puppy that I would like to try and get a main registered one so that I could show it (along with the other dog sports that I enjoy). Do I want to breed? In all honesty, I don't know. It is a lot of work and that is something that I would discuss with the breeder anyway.

It seems to be quite difficult to get dogs on the main register. And I am somewhat particular about who I would be getting a dog from, I have seen DOL listings wher eif you pay more then the pup is main registered. I would have thought the decision to main register a dog would have been more about how it conforms to the requirement of the breed rather than paying more.

But as someone who is not part of the show community I feel that it is difficult to try and start establishing a relationship with a breeder so that they would have confidence in helping get a main registered dog and in showing it.

So, I know there aren't really questions here but I'm hoping you can see where I'm coming from and give me any advice/pointers/explanations/etc. Like I said this is some time away, but I also understand that if you were a breeder you would want to have some sort of relationship with the person who will be showing a dog under your kennel name.

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me!!

:rofl:

Hey stranger :rofl:

I dont think you will have a problem at all getting a puppy. I wish I got more puppy enquiries from people like yourself!

Kisses to Kenzie and Emma from Flash and Rain

Hi there PME

Just want to add, being that it could be around 12 months away, i think this will only increase your chances of getting a pup to show. You have plenty of time to build a relationship with the breeder you choose, learn about showing, maybe even handle some dogs if the breeder you like is willing to let you help out. You have heaps of time and I think you'll be given plenty of good opportunities :rofl: good luck!

So breeder should sell pups all on main even if they don't meet the requirements of main & mislead there owners into thinking the pup they have is suitable for showing when it obviously isn't??

People need to remember you don't have entire litters of show quality/obedience champions/agility champions.

You don't always have litters of the sexes everyone wants or the colours or the markings.

Many are simply wonderful pets for various reasons.

I wouldn't buy from a breeder who places everything on main & it isn't about restrictions but selling a pup suited for each registry the best they can.

I have now co owned 15 dogs ,Multi BIG or Multi BISS or BIS winners & have enjoyed wonderful success in the ring & gained a great deal of trust from the breeders who have allowed me to take on these dogs & from other breeder who wish i would take these.

I have never had issues getting a show dog .

Pretty miss emma just be honest about what you want,be willing to learn .

The biggest issue many breeders have had is selling pick pup only for people to decide they can't be bothered showing & then all parties miss out on a good dog being shown.

As dog sports is also a keen thing of yours look at breeders who either compete in both or have dogs in there breeding with dual titles .

Many of the BC breeders seem to enjoy having dogs out there in both fields & if showing ended up not being your thing but you still where happy for the dog to be shown your breeder may show the dog & you can enjoy from the sidelines & compete in your obedience sports

PME,

Talk to the breeder whom you got Kenzie from. If they do not have anything going, then they may be able to point you in the right direction on who to enquire to get a puppy from. They maybe even able to put a good word in for you with another breeder and act as a reference.

There are an increasing amount of BC breeders who are breeding for breedings sake and would not know a show quality pup if it tripped them over. The DOL listings are getting full of people with prefixs breeding as that is the only real requirement to advertise on there.

If you want a show dog, then look at show breeders. Go to some dog shows and see what type and style is winning. It will also give you a good idea of who to start approaching. If your current dog is not desexed and is of quality, see the breeder about upgrading her to Main Register. Maybe offer to show one of their dogs for practice.

Co-own.. Buyer beware!. Some are great, others can be a disaster. The only advice I can say is make sure you are comfortable with the person and the conditions. Some co-owns can be really fair to both parties, some can be really one sided in favour of the breeder. Make sure there is in the co-own agreement, as many contingencies as you can. Both parties need to open to the other and clear on what is going to happen if X or Y happens.

When my breeder asked me if I wanted a dog to show or not, I didn't know the answer to the question. I started coming to dog shows and got hooked. They saw that I was committed, and so now have my show girl, and a great friendship with my breeder.

One issue that came up for them with one of their recent litters was someone saying that yes, they wanted something to show, that they were definite about that and that they wanted, actually, the pick of the litter. They didn't get the pick of the litter, the breeder did, but there were 4 puppies in that litter all outstanding and able to be shown and they got their pick of the other 3. They still kept saying that yes they would show. They have not set foot in the ring in the 4 months since that dog became old enough to show and have not been in contact since. All a ploy to get the 'best' dog in the litter. Is a pity as a really beautiful puppy, that could have gone to another show home isn't out at all. Has meant that the breeder is thinking long and hard about letting puppies go to new 'show' homes now.

Stories like this could be why some breeders are reluctant to sell their show puppies to new people.

All the best in your search though...

I would always want a show quaility dog but that doesn't mean I'll be outcevery weekend showing it. My pup is 9 months old, he's been shown 3 times and one of those shows was the breed speciality show.

Once he's matured, grows a neck and his bum looks in proportion to the rest of him, he might see the inside of a show ring more often.

For me, it's having the option to show, not necessarily dedicating myself to the cause.

A lot of good advice given here. I actually started out a lot like you. I got a pet, took it to obedience, fell totally in love with the breed, and as people at my club also showed, thought I would like to do that too. you are off to a great start if you have done this and also joined the breed club as you have started to become a 'known entitiy'.

Basically it is all about trust and building relationships.

Get yourself out there. Start asking questions. Start learning. Let people get to know you.

Find a breeder or breeders whose dogs you like and whose attitude and practices you like. Make friends with them. Learn from them. let them become mentors.

If you make your intentions known with them, and you have gained their trust and respect, the right dog will come along. However, you may need to have PATIENCE! Wait for the right pup. Note that you may find it easier to get a nice dog than a bitch. While I started with a bitch myself, I would recommend a dog for most people starting out as it is a good way to enter into the show scene. You can always get a bitch the next time around if you have really caught the 'bug' ;-) .

My experiences to date with co-ownership have only been good. My rule though is to put all contingencies in writing and be clear what you both expect from the relationship. This includes with friends - especially with friends as a good contract protects your relationship. Talk about the 'what-if's' up front. Try and think of anything and everything that could go wrong write them down as you think of them and then discuss them so you can include all the if-thens in writing.

Have fun!

Thankyou so much for all your advice and thoughts so far! It has all been very useful and gotten me thinking hard. :thumbsup:

Something I hadn't thought out in depth was the show vs performance dog thing. I think I need to do some more thinking about this. And I think the reason I haven't as yet is just because in my head everyone would be doing the things I do with my dogs (and we love doing them!!), so it didn't really enter my thought process that some lines are breed for their performance not just their conformation. Need more thinking about this!!! I love my dog activities!!

I disagree ab. The kind of breeders who don't give a damn where their main register puppies end up are really not the kind of breeders I want to be buying a show quality puppy from at all, or any puppy for that matter.

If breeders are putting potential puppy buyers through hoops and taking damned good care not to place top notch potential breeding stock with unknown strangers, then I feel those breeders are much more likely to take care with health testing and thoughtful breeding/rearing for quality etc. And that is the kind of breeder I would want to buy from.

That's a reason breeders use to justify limited reg if the potential buyers are silly enough to buy it. If the breeders want that level of control which they are entitled to have by all means, don't sell them in that case is the way I look at it :shrug:

I think its a crying shame that more breeders won't sell a Main Register pup to a newbie show home. Bo Bengston (legendary US Whippet breeder and judge) was interviewed a while back. Amongst other comments he said this:

Well, maybe a couple of things I am proud of related to my dogs. I don t breed much but I like to take a chance on newcomers, and that s worked pretty well for everybody. I counted for this interview,

and at least 45 new Whippet fanciers got their first champion in this breed from Bohem [bo's kennel]. Most of them showed their dogs to the title on their own, too. It s great getting phone calls from someone who

just won their first points or finished their first Whippet that you sold them as a puppy!

That's 45 folk who showed dogs to title and no doubt more than a few of them went on to become breeders. THAT IMO is one hell of a legacy to a breed - a whole new generation of exhibitor/breeders and an example that would be matched by very few people in this country. Bo is not a large scale breeder by the way.

All very well for folk to bang on about breeding only for the betterment of the breed but if the only dogs that ever go on to reproduce are the handful you keep in your name, you're really not bettering the breed greatly.

Bring on more chances being given to people to exhibit and become the next generation of breeders. Keeping everything on Limited Register that leaves your kennel, selling only your rejected dogs as "show prospects", refusing to allow your dogs to be used at external stud and refusing to sell to show homes isn't bettering the breed much at all.

Sure, you might get burned but hey, someone took a chance on you once. Lets see a few more chances given.

Edited by poodlefan

Having Toy Poodles and knowing how exploited this breed is by puppy farmers, I NEVER sell to someone on full register to someone that is unknown to me. I care about my dogs and the pups. I sure as hell never want one of my beautiful bubs to end up in a breeding box for the rest of it's life. If I don't know you, I will only offer you co-ownership, to protect my bubs from a life of misery. Even if you are a member of the breed club, you have to prove yourself to be someone I can trust. It's not about safeguarding my lines, it's about protecting the dogs.

Just because someone is a registered breeder, doesn't mean they care about the animals themselves. A lot of registered breeders in Toy Poos are puppy farmers themselves, and I do my homework and I know who not to sell to.

Also, I would never sell a dog for show unless I would put them in the ring myself. Anyone who is quick and eager to sell on full register, you must be wary of. They are intersested in the almighty $$$, not the dog.

In the big scheme of things, I am only relatively new myself and found it difficult to find a breeder to sell me my first "show dog". I advertised on a site that I care not to mentiion, but I did get my first show dog this way. I knew nothing about lines etc. but got lucky and got my foundation bitch from what one might refer to as a registered back yard breeder. Lucky for me (because I didn't know shit from clay back then) I got something that had nice lines and was of a quality to put in the ring. i have had one Lady who is a member of my breed club wanting something to show, BUT, because I don't really know her, I offered co-ownership, which she wasn't interested in.

There are many top showies that co-own, there's nothing wrong with it. Have a look at the top winning dogs, you will see quite a few that are co-owned.

I have also sold a bitch on co-ownership which I have since put in the Lady's name because I now TRUST her. You have to prove yourself to be a trustworthy person. Be open to Co-ownership, so long as the contract is fair, and if you are really interested in showing, DON"T EXCLUDE BOYS!!! You are more likely to get a boy, than a girl as your first show dog, because a lot of breeders can't keep too many boys, AND it is a lot easier to title a boy as there are many more girls in the ring than boys.

I hope you find a show puppy, and I wish you all the best, be patient, ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT!!!!

Oh I forgot, yes I do sell a dog for more on full register. My prices also vary depending on colour and sex, it's to do with supply and demand. Yes, I want the best price I can get according to the market value at that time.

Thankyou so much for all your advice and thoughts so far! It has all been very useful and gotten me thinking hard. :rofl:

Something I hadn't thought out in depth was the show vs performance dog thing. I think I need to do some more thinking about this. And I think the reason I haven't as yet is just because in my head everyone would be doing the things I do with my dogs (and we love doing them!!), so it didn't really enter my thought process that some lines are breed for their performance not just their conformation. Need more thinking about this!!! I love my dog activities!!

A well bred dog should be able to do both. Some of the top "show" kennels have dogs in performance homes doing extremely well. There are also some top kennels that compete in both conformation and performance arenas.

A well bred dog should be able to do both. Some of the top "show" kennels have dogs in performance homes doing extremely well. There are also some top kennels that compete in both conformation and performance arenas.

Agree. My dogs dad is a Grand Champion and has herding titles. I do like to see titles on both ends of a name when I look at a pedigree. I am after a balanced all around dog. One that can be a nice pet and have a go at whatever sport I feel like.