Why Do You Like The Kinds Of Dogs You Do?

corvus

English Setters - The Gentleman by Nature... and they are. They can be calm, they can be gentle, they can be playful and they can be excitable. The first thing that attracted me to them is their gentle nature, which is not always biddable. For a Gundog, they can have a very independant streak, as can the irish and the Gordon setters, probably due to the way they were bred to work on the field. I find that i do enjoy that independant "make me" attitude that the setters have. As others have said with their spitz and houdn breeds, my setters do things (or don't!) that owners of other breeds (particularly gundogs) would balk at... but always, when I look at my setters they can look right back to me and I feel like they are looking deep into my soul. The love that an english setter gives comes in a variety of ways (although you question the love, when they are running full pelt in the opposite direction, with their selective hearing well and truly switched on), but the look is in their eyes.

Weimaraners - well... funnily enough, they are quite the opposite of the English Setter... the Ultimate velcro dog, their life is to be with you... they are active, biddable, with an attitude towards strangers, and you can do just about anything with them if you have the time and patience. They can be a little stubborn occasionally, but they are mostly willing to do anything you ask of them. They have a different type of intelligence to a setter (who are mostly smart because they question why they are being asked to do something, then they flatly refuse by walking away :confused:), and a real desire to know what you want of them. They are also quite sensitive despite their protective nature - you cannot generally be rough or lose your patience with a weim, they take it to heart, much more so than a setter (who would probably laugh at you if they could!).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Aust Cattle Dogs

They are robust enough to do anything with me. Swimming, horse riding, hiking. Innate knowledge about dangers such as snakes. They can look after themselves. Could cross a busy road with me on horseback and them following.

Smart enough to learn anything thrown at them, smart enough to perceive the world around them. Both mine could and have walked with me offleash through the city (bad I know- even worse when one was congentially deaf :confused: )

Enough drive to teach them anything, but not so much like other working breeds. It can be switched off - no ball at my feet 24/7

Sensitive enough to only need small corrections during training, sensitive enough to respond to my moods. Big furry cuddles if I was down.

The knowledge that they had my back. They had each others as well, with my male often moving my female out of harms way because of her deafness.

No phobias! No dramas with thunderstorms, fireworks..... no whinging and crying, no panicking if left by themselves.

Social enough to take to BBQ's, to a crowded beach, agility trials.

Loyal as loyal can be, these were the dogs that would stay with you in a crisis.

And most importantly I never felt like I owned these dogs, they had enough spunk to stand up for themselves. I truly felt like these guys were my friends and it was a 2 way relationship.

I know ACD's can get a bad rap, but wow, when given boundaries and leadership they are such allrounders. Confident enough that a dominant larger dog would think twice about starting something, securely confident enough that they didnt have to constantly display their social rank at the dog park.

Sigh...... I'd give anything to have made them immortal...

Edited by Jakemon

The first purebred dog I ever owned was an ACD. her name was Shadow and she was a great dog. I often wish I owned her now with the knowledge of training I now have.

Shadow was my shadow, she was the perfect Cattle Dog and held her ground, bit many people that tried to invade her space, like most good cattle dogs, she would let them in but not out, I remember coming home many times to the bailed up electricity man...bless her. The great thing about her, she never attacked, just bit and held.

When I no longer want to compete in dog sports, I will have another Cattle dog, hope it lives up to Shadow's big shoes. I don't mean to suggest ACD's can't compete, they can absoloutley, just not what I want ATM.

The first purebred dog I ever owned was an ACD. her name was Shadow and she was a great dog. I often wish I owned her now with the knowledge of training I now have.

Shadow was my shadow, she was the perfect Cattle Dog and held her ground, bit many people that tried to invade her space, like most good cattle dogs, she would let them in but not out, I remember coming home many times to the bailed up electricity man...bless her. The great thing about her, she never attacked, just bit and held.

When I no longer want to compete in dog sports, I will have another Cattle dog, hope it lives up to Shadow's big shoes. I don't mean to suggest ACD's can't compete, they can absoloutley, just not what I want ATM.

Goodness, PAX, that could have been me who wrote that. One of the reasons I chose a Dally is that I wanted something really different so I wouldn't fall in the trap of comparing another dog with my red ACD girl.

I dislike 'clingy',dependent dogs ...

I dislike dogs with heaps of drive /energy ..they make me tired :confused:

I like dogs who look robust and built for a purpose...

I like dogs who look straight and sturdy.

I like wiry haired or short haired dogs...

Mind you ..I am very much a cat person ... :confused:

Its so interesting the different breeds people love.

I think huskys and all the spitz breeds are so beautiful, but the more I've learned, the less I can ever imagine owning one :confused:. The idea of a really independent dog just doesn't click with me.

I love the idea of a velcro dog whos attached to my heels.

I adore my dog because he wants to be with me 24/7, but he doesn't fret when I leave him alone. He forgives me when I get frustrated, loves me even when im a idiot, and all around would run through fire with me if I asked him too. No matter what mood I'm in, when he come wagging up to me, his whole body going. I just wanna drop to my knees and hug him.

Hes got enough drive to go for hours, but he'll just sleep all day if I want :confused: <3

God I so adore my dog.

Edited by lovemesideways

Ray Coppinger asked the same to a woman on her UK estate, called Lady Richards who a lurcher, bred for working ability.

I have loved her reply since "We are fortunate in that we can afford to entertain (in every way) such a dog".

I love dogs that have a purpose and drive.

I like Kelpies because they are incredibly loyal, sensible dogs. They will work and work and keep up with whatever you want to do with them. They are also happy to snooze at your feet if nothing is happening.

I like their strength and athleticism and they are not needy. Very easy dogs to have around and take anywhere.

I loved my Afghan because she made us laugh constantly. She never needed me and snubbed me most of the time unless she felt like being affectionate. She was the least sensible dog I have ever had and fell into the creek and would get tangled in the bush and stand there helplessly. She was a complete drama queen but so beautiful to look at. She felt she was way above the other dogs and people with her nose in the air. She was a good worker though and would do beautiful obedience routines just for that little piece of food.

I like Corgi's because although they have short legs, there is nothing little dog about them. They tend to have good working drive and are very trainable. They will stand up for themselves and are also strong, sensible dogs.

I like their little size so I can have more of them :confused: and they can sit on the lounge without taking up the whole space.

I very much like the elegant beauty of the sight hounds, particularly the Greyhound, Whippet, Borzoi and Italian Greyhound. Very easy on the eye and such gentle dogs.

Like the bald look of the Chinese Crested, I like an unusual look for some reason.

I admire a dog with a tenacity of purpose which is why I love the terriers!

Great thread!

This is hard as i do like a lot of breeds.

I don't think i will ever own a golden retriever ever! They are the most stubbon breed i have ever had to work with but in saying that i think there owners that i have delt with let them get away with everything! As they do a have a bigger stubbon streek then most breeds and their owners just inforce it by letting them do what they want.

A smart dog is a good dog to me i don't really fancy dogs that just don't get it or take forever for it to click in when teaching them.

One with build in instincts hehe as they are facinating to watch!

I love a dog that is independant yet loves to give human affection but know when enough is enough, i love a dog that has plenty of character or clownish behaviour but in a second will snap out and be ready to work.

i like placid dogs when they are not working.

Not a fan of in your face demanding dogs, big or small

No matter how many dogs i have worked with the main 4 that just please me the most are these guys;

favs kelpie, rotti and aussie shep as well as those french bull dogs.

many working breeds do it for me

Edited by catherine.b

I love a wide range of large dogs, not small dogs as a rule, but have come to realize I am not suited to all breeds.

I think I am most compatible with large gundogs. I love their generally easy going natures and handsome athleticism.

I adore the calm, sweet, loving nature of my GR. She is always so happy just to be with us.

I think, if I am honest, that my personality is fairly similar.

I cannot be bothered with working breeds. Too intense and I don't want my dog to work but be a companion.

I owned a spitz- a Keeshond- when I was younger & found her a lovely easy companion, but I wonder if she was a spitz exception? I'm not keen on the general spitz temperament descriptions, I admit I like being adored! :thumbsup:

I not keen to have a terrier- too sharp for me.

And no more bullbreeds, I think they are beautiful but I can't hold my own against them. I'm too soft.

I like athletic looking dogs. I want a dog I can do things with(obedience, agility etc), Boxers can do just about anything. I like a challenge (hence doing obedience with a boxer and a sibe :thumbsup: ) and think gaining an obedience title will be so much more rewarding to me than if I had one of the more common competition dogs.

I want a dog that will protect me- so that I can walk at night and feel safe home alone. Bondi has a very convincing bark.

I want a dog that can just chill and entertain itself, but be ready to train/play/jog/walk the instant I'm ready- but I don't want a dog that will pester me for these things. I like a dog that follows me around the house.

I like a dog that I can let offlead and wants to stay with me. I like smoochy dogs, but ones that will give you space when told enough.

I cannot stand yappy dogs, or dogs that jump up.

I could not live with the tenaciousness of terriers, I will never own a terrier.

I could not own a hound, they are too independant for me.

For me the crazier the better. I tend to click with and enjoy the dogs that other people love to hate. I like the out there, in your face, confident dogs, the busy dogs, the dogs with drive, the one's that wreck things, jump on things and generally make a nuisance of themselves. That's the Staffords in general.

I find the more "emotional", sour, sedate, less active, low drive dogs a bore. Having said that I own a roller coaster of a Whippet and love her to pieces.

:thumbsup: Me too, i like the crazy special ones. The ones bred to work.

I also love the challange of a Terrier. Give me a little scruffy Terrier to train any day :).

ETA: I could never live with a spitz breed or a most Hounds, way to indepedant and at time aloof. Or most Gundog breeds, although i adore English Pointers.

Edited by Clover

I was fascinated reading the thread about Malinois and GSDs by how many people like these kinds of dogs. Sounds like my worst nightmare. My last dog was quite sensitive to my moods and I hated it. We weren't good for each other sometimes. Lots of feeding off each other's states. I sometimes found it a lot of pressure to be her owner. My current dogs are more... buffered, for lack of a better word. They generally don't give a toss about what I want them to do. They do what they want to do and things like "The Tone" don't really work on them. Works a little on Erik sometimes, but if I get cross he takes off and there's no convincing him then. Just have to walk away, take some deep breaths, and come back with a clear head and a plan. I can do that. It's better for everyone. I find I am a lot happier relying on training and conditioning than on my dog's inherent sensitivity to me. I don't really get frustrated much when I'm forced to think things through and don't get that instant gratification of frustration resulting in behavioural outburst resulting in dog doing what it's told. So I like smart, steady dogs with a streak of independence. I like dogs you can't sweet talk or just take for granted they will gather what you want of them and do it. I like dogs that need a reason. I'm good at providing reasons, and it keeps me steady as well, which is what I like to be.

I would love to hear why you like the kinds of dogs you do. What about them suits your personality, and why are you good for them?

Please don't ever contemplate a Border Collie. You would go nuts trying to live with one.

I love that my Borders can practically read my mind and constantly read the most sublte body language. Obedience trialling is challenging because you have to be so careful to not accidently give them a wrong signal but once they get you trained properly, it gets easier. :rofl:

From a purely practical point of view I wanted a medium size, highly trainable, multi purpose breed. I wanted a long, easy to groom coat without a doggy smell and didn't want a flat face, short legs, docked tail, a drooler, floppy ears. I didn't want an independant dog or one with a tendency to fight with other dogs or hunt anything. My colour preference was black, white or combination of both. Hence the Border Collie.

Edited by dancinbcs

I'd always grown up with big dogs, and am really not keen on small dogs (having spent too much time at dogs shows as a toddler) and my husband had daschunds. We also wanted something small- medium, as we don't have a big house or yard.

I wanted to get into dog sports properly, so I wanted something trainable and eager to work, but with an off switch. My list included a lot of the smaller gun breeds, the lappie and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. From the moment we seriously looked at the Cardi's, pretty much everything else was left behind. I love that they have the lovely, laid back 'big dog' temperament in a medium sized body with short legs. I love the fact that they're smart, with a twist of independant thinking (sometimes too much, when she comes up with her own way of doing things in comps!). I like that they are a capable watch dog, with a good deep bark, but not yappy, that they are aloof with strangers, but quick to be friendly after a proper 'introduction'. And we both love their sense of humour - its a weird quality in a dog, but definitely present in the Cardis! :rofl:

I love my Mini Fox Terrier. She is the most faithful, adoring little dog. She is bold and brave and has a demented streak. She makes me laugh with her antics. She's a cuddlebum.

I love my BSD. Blonde, beautiful and brainless, but he is very smart! He is loyal, obedient and gentle.

English Setters - The Gentleman by Nature... and they are.

I WILL own one of these one day, when I don't require a full on Gundog like my beautiful Labs :( Received my free Eukanuba puppy book tody with voucher and the first page I flick to has an English Setter puppy :rofl: They are just beautiful dogs and I must own one in my lifetime :hug:

English Setters - The Gentleman by Nature... and they are.

I WILL own one of these one day, when I don't require a full on Gundog like my beautiful Labs :( Received my free Eukanuba puppy book tody with voucher and the first page I flick to has an English Setter puppy :rofl: They are just beautiful dogs and I must own one in my lifetime :hug:

My son had an orange belton ES. He was absolutely gorgeous.....very dumb but so lovable. Also the laziest dog ever, he was never up for a walk or a game, he'd alwas rather just be laying around snoozing. He was my grandpuppy and I loved him, loved his big slobbery cuddles, loved his fuzzy spey coat, loved his total lack of intelligence.......highlighted against the collective brains trust of Aussies.

He was PTS a couple of months ago, he developed epilepsy which, despite being carefully managed with medication, got worse and worse and the seizures got longer and more violent. So, so sad, it's a breed I came to really like via my grandpuppy. He was a sweetheart.

I'm not keen on the general spitz temperament descriptions, I admit I like being adored! :rofl:

Oh, they'll adore you, but that doesn't mean they'll do what you want them to or care if you're not happy with them. :(

I have had SBTs in my life since i was 8, when i moved out, it was a matter of when not if, i was going to get one.

Kaos is crazy, loony, drives me mad, but god she makes me laugh, She is happy all the time and has that stupid smile or some crazy look on her face at all times! I think the SBT is the most attractive dog out there.

As for Bull Terriers, I fell in love with their looks before I knew anything about them. Once I started reading up on them and seeing how crazy and funny and pig headed they are, i knew I needed one in my life ASAP! :rofl:

I love strong, solid dogs (and cats actually, Sumo fits into that as well!) and think they are stunning

While I want a DDB next, I know I will always have SBT and BT :(