Caucasian Ovcharka

Africa

Hey ladies and gents,

I have read the posts from 2005 about these dogs, but i am still in love with them.

Does anyone know if you can get them in aus and if so who and where ?????

I am hell bent on getting one

Thanx

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx guys but can anyone tell me why ????

I have found a site to buy a pup from the us but they have to be 6 months old and spend another 3 months in quarintine.

Nonw i dont know if this is possible not that i want to do that to the poor dog, thats why i was hoping by some mirracle there

might be someone in aus.

The Ovcharka is very similar to the Central Asian Shepherd isn't it? Which there are a few breeders in aus.

But yes, they need a very experienced owner and not for the faint hearted.

They are livestock guardians- they aren't bred to be kept as a 'pet' (so to speak).

I'd think twice as to owning one just because you want something different.

Yes they are different, they are much more dominant and difficult. After owning a Central Asian and knowing first hand how challenging they are (and rewarding) I would NOT recommend a CASD or especially a CO to anyone other than an experienced livestock guardian owner. Looks are deceiving and yes they are absolutely stunning but in the wrong hands I would hate to imagine the outcome for the dog and community. CO's are bred for a purpose and are not just a huge fluffy puppy they are a dedicated guardian who takes that role very seriously.

I am prepared to wait for possibly years to get another CASD from my dogs breeder as I have fallen completely in love and am dedicated to the breed but they are a breed that you can never been complacent with and you must be vigilant with their training.

Genuine questions Africa but have you owned a livestock guardian previously? and why apart from their looks do you want a Caucasian Ovcharka?

Edited by casowner

I think Casowner's questions are very relavant.

I adore a lot of LGD's, particularily Ovcharkas but I will unlikely ever be able to have one simply because I am so not designed to own them. They are incredible dogs though.

honestly Casowner i cant tell you a good reason, I like different things as in i like the animals we get here but i want something different.

I live on my own and i read up about these gorgeous dogs and everything about them appeals to me i suppose thats the best

way to put it. Also i like big dogs and agfer a bit of searching i found the CO and read up about them and the more i read the

more i fell in love with them.

To answer your question no i havent before the closest dog i had back in South Africa was a Border Collie and a Rotti

Edited by Africa

honestly Casowner i cant tell you a good reason, I like different things as in i like the animals we get here but i want something different.

I live on my own and i read up about these gorgeous dogs and everything about them appeals to me i suppose thats the best

way to put it. Also i like big dogs and agfer a bit of searching i found the CO and read up about them and the more i read the

more i fell in love with them.

To answer your question no i havent before the closest dog i had back in South Africa was a Border Collie and a Rotti

I like different things too but that doesnt mean I should have them.Lets just say you were able to get one here.Theoretically speaking of course.if you are in a small suburban back yard.Do you think a breeder would sell you one?Their temperamnet is prbably vastly differnt to anything you may have experienced.They guard their space with serious intent and a dog that grows to 90kg and isnt under control wont be stopped.once upon a time I wanted one too and maybe one day I will but there are many dogs I would like to own first and some are already here.Why dont you look at a Boerboel.Another big dog that will guard and is already here .

The Ovcharka is very similar to the Central Asian Shepherd isn't it? Which there are a few breeders in aus.

But yes, they need a very experienced owner and not for the faint hearted.

They are livestock guardians- they aren't bred to be kept as a 'pet' (so to speak).

I'd think twice as to owning one just because you want something different.

If this breed was imported to Australia what would stop it getting into the wrong hands, there's so many breeds already in the wrong hands. :rasberry:

Africa- perhaps you could have an OS holiday,and spend time with some of these dogs 'in person' ?

Wanting to be the only person with 'something different' ..and having never owned one of these types of dog before ..Hmmm...

Unless properly socialized and trained, the Caucasian Ovcharka may exhibit ferocious and unmanageable tendencies. It is very brave, alert, strong and hardy. It does not accept people it does not know and it has a powerful urge to defend. Everything and everyone who belongs to the family, including children, cats, other dogs, etc, will be regarded by this dog as part of "its" family and will be respected and protected. This dog should not be left alone with children, because if play becomes too rough, the Caucasian Ovtcharka my feel the need to protect your child, and may do it extensively. It has no time for strangers, but it will greet family friends warmly. It can be rather dominant towards other dogs it does not know.

taken from HERE

On the purely practical.... trying to keep a 90kg cool in Australia could be a bit tricky!! Those coats are meant for snow and blizzards :rasberry:

Click ->AMAZING DOGS!! but definitely not something I would want !

because i want something different to what is here greytmate

Get yourself a unique artwork or something then, if that is the best reason you have. These dogs sound quite dangerous to the rest of the community. You have no idea what they are really like to be with, own, or live next to.

So, um, how much livestock do you need to have guarded? The breed was never developed for pet ownership or to be companionable to people. It was developed for protecting livestock. It's easy to fall in love with the idea of owning one from pictures, but the reality of owning one is very different.

stunning dog yes!

great pets no!!!

they are bred for a specific purpose unless as an owner you can provide that purpose you are being very unfair to the dog...as a trainer I cannot tell you how many dogs we see as just pets that were bred for and deserve so much more. Too often I see owners with a dog that is all wrong for them...the owners intentions are always good and loving but that is not enough and eventually in most cases the scenario ends in tears...

please think about what you want from a dog and find the breed that matches not just because it looks good and is different to anything else in this Country. There are plenty of stunning looking dogs that may suit your lifestyle if you are willing to do some research....good looks aren't a good enough reason to buy a dog

MM

there are several rare breeds in Australia (may not be rare OS) already that could use a dose of new genes, ones that also make terrific pets. :rasberry::laugh:

Some of these breeds only have a couple of dogs in the country. :rofl:

Africa I certainly appreciate that you have researched the breed online and like what you have seen but in reality I personally think that you would not be prepared for such a breed. You live on your own ok that is fine the dog will bond with you and your home but what about in the future when you introduce someone else into that home and you have a very large powerful guardian who may see that person as a threat. Do you have the training skills to handle such a powerful dominant breed and can you absolutely guarantee that dog will not escape?

I suggest you read the thread in Rainbow Bridge about the death of the Central Asian to see how the wrong people with the wrong breed of dog can end tragically.

I am not trying to put you off, well actually I am sorry but I will advocate for the Ovcharka breeds as I know how magnificent they are but I also know how challenging they are too. If CO's are ever in the country I hope that I would be able to own one if - I was able to dedicate to the training, housing, grooming etc. I second the belief that you should speak to Ovcharka breeders for more insight into their true nature and don't believe everything that you Google :rasberry:

Camels are nice and they are different I have 3 but I certainly wouldn't recommend them to someone who wants something different in their paddock either.

Just another quick comment but if I was to import one (which I am not) I would import one from their country of origin not the USA as the dogs in their homeland are still used and bred for their purpose of flock guarding.