What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

I've only ever had one non-human name and that was Pip (Pipsqueak). The rest have been Gabby, Tess, Lucy, Hugo, Jemima, Maggie & Harry :)

Lucy gets "Lucille" and Maggie gets "Marguerite" anyway :rolleyes: :o

Edited by Pheebs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with human names for Dogs :) But they can be quite funny when saying them out loud. Especially when i'm calling Mitchell and Rebecca, or Martin and Colin to get them in the hydrobath, and saying good boy Colin lol :laugh: I much prefer human type names than the common Bella or Mia. Martin gets me everytime, he is a tea cup sized choc poodle! I've even had a corgi named Steve and i wasn't sure if it was the dogs name or the owner = the dog was STEVE haha :rofl:

Not a fan of it myself, but each to their own.

I try to have names that are a little unusual or different and that I haven't heard before. Although in saying that I often hear of a pet called that after I've already decided that's what their name will be.

I must admit Acheron is a good one, nobody seems to know how to pronounce it. When we were at the vets recently the nurse and the vet both said "Ack-eron?"

I have had people not believe that he would answer/respond to a name like that, but he does :)

My animal companions have all recently gone through human names.

Most recent is my boy Mikey, short for Michael.

It was the name I would have used when I did have a boy later in life, but for now, he's totally rocking it.

:D

I must admit Acheron is a good one, nobody seems to know how to pronounce it. When we were at the vets recently the nurse and the vet both said "Ack-eron?"

I have had people not believe that he would answer/respond to a name like that, but he does :)

Hi Dobesrock, how is it pronounced?

My old girl was called Kerry and within a year of getting her one of my bro's was engaged to a Kerry and another was dating a Kerry. Family member didnt like the girls (horrid gold digger type girls with many kids from different fathers.) was prone to calling out 'Kerry!' at family gatherings and when the girls would turn around he'd say 'no, wait, I meant the bitch. No wait, I that's all of you. The one that eats pal'

Worked though. Kerry-dog was around till 20years 11 months, the girls were gone in no time.

It did put me off giving pets people names though. Thankfully I've not met a human called doofus!

Given the latest trend in people naming, if we can only name our dogs non human names, we'll be very limited!

Hmmmm.....anyone named their puppy "Apple" yet?

Yep, I'm FB friends with a woman who has the most magnificent Akita called Apple. She's a stunner.

Hmmm...wonder if she'll get a second dog and call it Moses. ;)

Nup, her second dog is a boy called Max :laugh:

All my dogs have human names. Maggie, Ella, Shelby, Jayde, Mia, Ashli, Buddy and Indi. My cats name is Angel and many of my guinea pigs have human names.

I have 30 of them! LOL.

wow 30! How do you remember all their names? I started naming my sheep...but now I have 16 and have given up naming them as I keep forgetting who's who.

Years ago my sister had a dog named 'Funny Face'. Maybe we should start a topic ' weird dog/pet names'?

Hi Dobesrock, how is it pronounced?

It's pronounced 'Ash-er-on'. The 'c' seems to through everyone off :laugh:

My 2 have human names, Mason is my adult boy and Gibbs is my puppy, he is named after NCIS Gibbs :)

I love the name Gibbs! :D

Highly considered it for my dal.

Along with Dexter and Skylar! xP

My old frog's name was leroy jethroe :)

Dexter and shrek are on my future names list. I want shrek to be a clydesdale but I need to win lotto first :laugh:

Lots of my animals have people names - Maisie, Pia, Toby (girl), Stevie (girl), Champa (male dog but named after an Indian friend's Mum - don't ask lol), Penny, Tommy, Josie, Darcy, etc. :)

Have some weird ones too - L.A., Rockling... :D