My Hero Sally

sallyandtex

Well just wanted to share how lucky we are to have a great dog.

Sally doesn't usually bark. We live with bush all around, but pretty much in suburbia

A few nights ago, we needed the air con on at night (34 degrees at midnight outside!), so we had all the doors and windows shut.

Sally was outside as it is HOT.

About midnight, she started to bark. My hubby went out on the deck to do the "stop barking Sally!" incase she woke the neighbours.

She didn't stop.

My hubby then put his shorts on and went out the front.

He saw a police car and 2 officers in the bush near us with torches. Another officer in the car said they were chasing an escaped drunk driver who took off on foot.

Hubby went down to Sally who still was barking. Crouched in the bush was a man trying to stay still!!! She could sense/see him but couldn't get out over the fence...she was going nuts!

This alerted the police to his position and they pounced on him!

Just a proud Fur-Mum I am! :thumbsup:

YAY Sally, she is so friendly how could this be?? lucky she found him!

hope brandy would do this haha but she is a great blue tounge lizard detector not sure about people she loves them too much.

* edited to add we have a life saver if need be everytime our head goes under the water for a,long period of time brandy won't stop barking and macca will jump in to save us!

Edited by catherine.b

hope brandy would do this haha but she is a great blue tounge lizard detector not sure about people she loves them too much.

* edited to add we have a life saver if need be everytime our head goes under the water for a,long period of time brandy won't stop barking and macca will jump in to save us!

:whiteflag: Yes, our old dog Zac used to do that! But Sally doesn't bat an eyelid if we go under the water...strange and wonderful dogs different personalities.

And I wouldn't be too sure Brandy wouldn't alert you to danger, not something I expected from Sally! (Except to lick them to death :confused: )

Skye is a fantastic watchdog but her best attribute at the moment is being able to detect any bush cockroach that enters our property - and especially when it is inside :confused: . She waits for Mum to arrive with the trusty Baygon spray and we then rest easy again! Although she has been known to eat them as well :whiteflag:

We had a kelpie x when I was young that used to try this. He was terrified of water (he was the sole survivor from a bag of pups thrown in a river) and would sit well back on the dry bank while people and other dogs swam. If someone went under the water and didn't resurface immediately, he would hurl himself in to the water and clumsily swim towards where they disappeared from.