Would You Feel Uncomfortable Receiving A Birthday Present For Your Dog

Baileys mum

What a lovely idea. One of my breeders sent a xmas present every December and a Valentine's card in Feb - I certainly didnt expect it but always thought it was pretty cute; a bit nutty but still very cute.

Not from me. I was kind of hoping you'd forget that I bred her and I could quielty slip out of the country :laugh:

:D :rofl::rofl: You give much more than a chrissy present or VD card, Warley. Besides - I know where you live and one day I'm going to send you something much worse than a Pancake :rofl:

no I wouldn't like it very much

Why? Would it be an invasion of privacy for you?

I think I would like it, but I also understand why breeders don't.. It'd be an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

not sure I can give an adequate answer. It would feel weird is the closest I can come too. It sort of gives me the creeps. It is not something I would do for my puppy buyers. Closest I've got is to wish Paige a happy birthday on facebook. I can see myself sending out a happy birthday email but an actual card and/or gift - no I doubt very much I'll ever do that.

I did that for my puppies 1st birthday, I also sent them an Christmas card.

I'm in contact with all of mine so did not have the problem of leaving any out.

I made a montage of pictures put to music of all the photos I had taken, plus the ones the new owners had sent me.

I also included some toys, treats and a holiday voucher (reminding them when they go away the dog can stay with me)

I think it's a great idea.

I wow Sway I hope you don't mind if I copy your photo & holiday voucher idea, I love it, great ideas!!! :rofl:

Go for it, now to find myself a breeder who will do the same for me. :laugh:

Last year I had one stay for 6 weeks and another for 2.

I have a few booked in to stay this year already, I love them coming back home again.

Last year it took my husband 2 weeks to notice the black bitch walking around was not Sway :D

My lovely breeder (:laugh:) sent my girl a birthday present for her first birthday last year. A toy and some treats and a card. I thought it was great, but I am in touch with her regularly so it wasn't weird at all.

If I hadn't bothered to keep in touch then I probably wouldn't want a present. Hard to know though as I'd always keep in touch if possible...

If I had chosen not to keep in contact then I would find a present very odd and probably quite intrusive. If I had kept in contact I would find it very cool. I'd send just an email to those who haven't kept in contact, you could ask in the email if they'd mind you send something if you really want to.

I think it's an absolute wonderful idea

I would be thrilled to receive a small present from my golden retreivers breeders even the one that I haven't kept in contact with

Playing devil advocates here, but if for any reason they couldn't keep the dog I think they would think that the breeder does care about the dog because of the contact at the 1st birthday and we will ask them what to do

Sounds like a really sweet thing to do, I would have loved if my breeders did something like that.

Even the ones you don't keep in contact with, maybe you can put on the card that if they ever need any advice they can ask you anytime and you hope everyting is going well for them. I don't think it can hurt.

I try and send updated pics to my breeders about 3 times a year, for my Ragdoll cat, every year.

I send presents to some of my puppies, but I am in regular contact with them, and they are crazy dog people like us! :laugh: I sent them xmas emails too.

I would just send a card, e-card, or email, so you are acknowledging them. That way you open the door for anyone who wants to regain contact with you without coming across as pushy or creepy (to use someone elses term)

It is probably not an accurate representation of joe public to ask your question on here as I would guess that 99% of us would agree with you. (a bit OT, but on the radio yesterday they were discussing pets with facebook pages. i have quite a few doggy friends, and I'm sure it's not percieved as weird to DOLers, but the majority of the public ringing in just thought it was weird and the owners were loony!)

Just do whatever you are comfortable with.

I think it is a lovely gesture and will most likely be received very positively by all.

However, I would recommend you do a quick personal check on yourself to see if you are likely to be setting yourself up for disappointment if you do not get any responses from the other 3.

Just remember that we are all different and although you would be thrilled receiving the gift for your pup and would no doubt contact the breeder to say so and thank them, if you do not get this response, can you cope with that?

Now, I am certainly not at all suggesting you are like this, but there are some people that constantly give and give and spend their time being miserable and whinging to others when same is not reciprocated, as that is just the way they have to be.

I am sure you are not like this.

If the giving is purely out of the love of giving and not to judge responses or lack of, then go for it :laugh:

Expect nothing in return and if you get some lovely calls or emails then that is simply a lovely bonus.

This thread is actually really interesting following on from one where a lot of people said breeders have so little custumer service they cant even be bothered replying to a puppy enquiry. For those who would find it a bit weird, what if you just received a card or an email on your puppy's first birthday with a personalised message along the lines of - Hi to you and little rover on his first 12 months and hope you're going well bla bla. Would that be weird or would you feel like it was one of those generic xmas cards from LJHooker hoping you turn around and give them the listing back when you decide to sell your house?

eta would it feel weird to you as in a sales tactic weird?

Edited by raz

I did that for my puppies 1st birthday, I also sent them an Christmas card.

I'm in contact with all of mine so did not have the problem of leaving any out.

I made a montage of pictures put to music of all the photos I had taken, plus the ones the new owners had sent me.

I also included some toys, treats and a holiday voucher (reminding them when they go away the dog can stay with me)

I think it's a great idea.

I wow Sway I hope you don't mind if I copy your photo & holiday voucher idea, I love it, great ideas!!! :rofl:

Go for it, now to find myself a breeder who will do the same for me. :laugh:

Last year I had one stay for 6 weeks and another for 2.

I have a few booked in to stay this year already, I love them coming back home again.

Last year it took my husband 2 weeks to notice the black bitch walking around was not Sway :D

Cr@p that's funny :rofl: That would happen here too.

I'm always sending photos, videos, brags and updates to my breeders - I do warn them when I purchase a pup though :rofl:

Thanks dyzney, I'm certainly not sending my puppies presents expecting anything in return, but I want to do it because I still love & care for these pups that I brought into this world. :laugh:

If I hear nothing back from the other 3 owners ... then so be it, like I said I don't want to appear pushy or as someone said creepy, I probably will have no more future contact unless of course I hear from them again some time in the future.

I suppose by sending a present the owners still know I care for their dog & its a reminder to them that I'm still here to give them support whenever they need it.

I also know that alot of people like to just buy a good quality puppy, bring it home & not even think of the breeder again unless there is a problem...which I can understand as well. :D

I'm trying to look at it from the point of view of the people who would be creeped out. Have you and the buyers maintained contact since point of purchase, BM? 2 of my breeders became friends so they wouldnt creep me out if they sent Spot and Fluffy a card, squeaky toy, bag of biccies or whatever but one breeder I never maintained contact with and if she sent something out of the blue I'd probably think it was a bit weird as well (and I'd probably look at it as a sales tactic to get me to buy another puppy...not sure now).

Edited by raz

I think it is a lovely idea. For the people who haven't maintained contact, I'd give them something small and useful (eg a small toy). That way they won't feel embarrassed or creeped out (at least I wouldn't). If I got something big or exe I would feel like I "owed" the breeder something.

This thread is actually really interesting following on from one where a lot of people said breeders have so little custumer service they cant even be bothered replying to a puppy enquiry.

yeah there are breeders and then there are breeders aren't there? :laugh:

Maybe for those you don't have contact with you could just send a note with it saying:

"I hope you don't mind... just wanted to give pup a gift for his birthday... etc.