Do You Let Your Dog On The Bed, And Do You Let Jump On And Off Themsel

Isabel964

I was wondering about dogs and beds. I suspect alot of us allow our dogs on the bed. My question is more about the dogs jumping off the bed - as this can't be good for some legs....especially smaller dogs like Westies and French Bulldogs amongst others. But how do you allow a dog on your bed but get it to wait for you to let it off the bed, or I suppose the better option is we could train them to use steps?

What do you do?

I used to allow my papillion to jump up and down from beds, sofas and cars (before I knew better), then he ended up with several slipped disks in his back from doing that exact thing :laugh: . After that I put wooden boxes at different heights along the bottom of my bed so he could use them to climb up, and with alot of patience and treats (and trips to the vets) managed to train him not to jump down off the bed even when he was excited. Easy part was getting him to climb up them, just had to lure him with food a couple times but it took alot of time to train him not to jump down. Had to set him up, be on the bed with him, have someone ring the doorbell/call him and correct him if he tried to jump, praise with food when he used the steping blocks.

I dont allow my Sibe/Amstaff up on my bed unless CALMLY invited as I dont want them to damage their backs in excitement either. They slowly clamber up on to the bed instead of jump. I would never let any future small dogs jump up on furniture, they would have to learn to wait to be picked up, would hate for them to go through what Tyke did.

We lift Merlin and Dexter up on the bed and down, Dexter can almost jump up but Merlin doesnt even try :laugh:

We also lift them both in and out of the car

We have a Dachshund here at the moment and well he cant reach to jump up on the bed so we lift him up and also down. We have steps to the couches so he uses them and then usually waits to be lifted down

Poppy is a CKCS X and is much bigger than the CKCS breed standard. She's 12kg and much taller than the standard CKCS.

She's been jumping up and down from our bed and from our lounges for as long as I can remember. I think for her size the jumping is fine! :love:

Mine doesn't jump on/off the bed. He waits to be picked up.

I dont think the thought of jumping onto the bed has ever crossed his mind. That said, I'll have to keep an eye on him when we move house, we bought a new bed that's much lower than our current bed - might be easier for him to jump up.

The dog might be athletic - but jumping down repeatedly from a height like that will ruin their fronts - no matter how well constructed they are.

I think doing stuff like agility and flyball would be potentially be more damaging than jumping on and off a bed and plenty of dogs do those sports and remain sound.

My two small dogs jump up and down as they want and I have never had any issues with this. They also use my lounge suite as their walk way in the lounge room. Both little dogs sleep in my bed with me. My big dog also jumps on and off the bed when he likes but sleeps on his own sack bed.

Boonie (lab) jumps up if he's not feeling lazy.

He likes to use the getting off of the bed as a stretch though - slowly puts front feet down and drags himself off leaving his back half stretched to full until the last moment then plops them off. Really looks like he enjoys the stretch - holds it there for a bit longer sometimes to get the full effect.

I'm worried about my Westie. She jumps off the bed all the time - she sleeps on it most nights. But I would have a hell of a time training her to use the steps...I'd have to get someone to ring the doorbell etc like julzjc did. Same thing with the couch (she thinks its hers).

Question: I am concerned about the jumping down bit. Should I be equally concerned about the jumping up part too?

My dogs do get on the bed. I have a chihuahua that will use the blanket box at the end of the bed as a step. But at times she will fly off the bed so maybe i should get her trained in her exit.

Aussielover - I get what you are saying about dog sports and repetitive actions. But what about a little dog? I have a chi who jumps 15 to 20 cm.. She doesn't leap off any contact equipment as she has to make the contact. So with little dogs like her - a big leap off the bed which is much higher than 20 cm could be more damaging than agility jumps maybe?

Particularly as when she comes off the bed she is standing up on the bed and if excited she jumps very straight legged off the bed.

But if I thought it was too dangerous she wouldn't be allowed on the bed. I feel slack now - better improve her box steps skill.

Given that our dogs shoulders are at the same height range as the beds in our house; jumping on and off the bed is no issue.

However; if we had a smaller breed, i would be worried about the pressure from jumping off and onto the floor.. and what it would do to their fronts.

Dont let them do it!! :grouphug:

Shoulders can go out of alignment if they slip when they jump down, not so bad if they jump down onto carpet rather than wood floors/tiles but regardless you may not notice your dog "out" in the shoulders, they will just start taking shorter steps with their front legs because it will cause them pain to walk full stretch. Adrenalin will see them run around and play just fine but after years of taking shorter steps, they will end up with muscle wastage and endless problems with pinched nerves. Save the cost and pain and find an alternative!