Another What Breed Do You Think He Is?

rastus_froggy

I have seen this dog around a fair bit lately with a very elderly gentleman walking him (or rather being dragged by the dog). This evening when I was leaving work he was being dragged by so I went and had a chat with him. Apparently the dog belonged to the gentlemans friend who fell ill went to hospital and never made it out again, so he took on the dog.

He was told that the dogs mother was a pure kelpie but they have no idea on the father.

Any ideas?

28032011001.jpg

28032011.jpg

His name is Browny and is the most adorable dog, but definately not the best thing for a man in his late 80's.

Update on page 2

Edited by rastus_froggy

Some sort of bull breed X.

I normally wouldn't advocate a head halter but in this mans case it may help. A harness will allow the dog to pull harder and the chain, when tight, is useless so maybe next time you see him you can suggest it and help him out so he doesn't get dragged around so much? or a no pull harness??

What a great person to take an obviously energetic dog on when he friend passed.

if mum was a kelpie dad was definately some amstaff/pigdog look at the head and the body

remember there are tri coloured staffs and kelpies, just because a dog is black and tan doesnt mean theres rottie or shepherd in it.

Some sort of bull breed X.

I normally wouldn't advocate a head halter but in this mans case it may help. A harness will allow the dog to pull harder and the chain, when tight, is useless so maybe next time you see him you can suggest it and help him out so he doesn't get dragged around so much? or a no pull harness??

What a great person to take an obviously energetic dog on when he friend passed.

He told me he has a halti but he is unable to get it on the dog, so I was giving him a few pointers on how to introduce it to Brownie, then he asked me if I was interested in helping him to do some training as he had been looking for someone, so I am going over tomorrow morning, gee I'm a sucker for a gorgeous dog :laugh: and I think this guy has done such a great thing to take Brownie on, I would hate to see him hurt if he were pulled over.

Will let you know how it goes.

I had my first session with Brownie and wow isn't he just the biggest bundle of energy!! He was so excited when I went into his yard he would not accept treats of any description he was just so overwhelmed that there was someone in his yard who was energetic enough to play with him.

After he settled he began taking treats - I got the halti on and gave him treats, repeated this process a few times and he was ok with it. I hooked the halti to his regular collar with the extra attachment clip and lead him around with his lead attached to his regular collar, he did very well.

I am going back again tomorrow to repeat these steps again. I pointed out to his owner that this process will take time and that he wont be walking him on the hatli for a while yet.

He was such a good boy I gave him a full size antler to chew on when we were finished :D

His owner mentioned that he has to keep his kitchen blind down so that Brownie can't see him as if he can see him he barks continuously :cry: it is a sad situation in SO many ways, this dog is not the ideal dog for this gentleman, he has SO much energy and is such an intelligent boy. He really needs someone very active to give him the exercise he needs, but if I can just help to get his walking more managable for John I am sure he will get walked even more than he does now.