Some Breeds Less 'smelly' Than Others?

jacqui835

For some time now, I have had my heart set on having a GSD, perhaps a white one, as my second dog. However today whilst we were discussing it, my partner brought up the shedding issue again. He has always been keen just for us to get a second red doberman, only a female this time, but I don't want two dogs that look almost identical, and he doesn't like black and tan dobermans (he just worries that it will be received differently). So we have decided that if we get a second dog, it will be a different breed.

Anyway to the point, my partner said he was worried that a GSD would not only shed more and make our house a lot hairier than what we're used to, but also that it would bring that 'doggy' smell that our dobe has never had. Even if he hasn't been washed for several weeks (which is pretty rare to be fair), he never smells doggy, or makes your hand smell after you pat him. Don't get me wrong, he can get dirty but his coat seems to be almost self-cleaning and he just doesn't seem to produce the doggy smell. His parents were the same, and I remember we noticed this and were really happy about it, since both of us had had stinky dogs before. My partner actually grew up with standard poodles, and although they might not shed, they certainly have that doggy smell! I guess now we've been spoiled and we are in agreement that we would like another dog that smells like our current one. Has anyone noticed other breeds that don't have that doggy smell?

In particular we would be interested in the working breeds with similar temperaments to dobermans -ie dominant, energetic etc. I also want to add that of course we loved all of the dogs we've had, but I love that with my current pooch I can hug him in my work clothes and whenever I want, have him in the bed under the covers etc and no-one can tell just from smelling me that I even have a dog, or that a dog even lives in our house even though he spends most of his time indoors. Just means now that we're both working full-time in professional type roles we get to spend a little more quality time with our pooch.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to diasagree with you about standard poodles smelling "doggy" I have had multiple poodles (standards and now a mini too) for the last 15 years and have never had a problem with doggy odour. Our house and cars do not smell "doggy". I really notice the difference when I visit friends with different breeds and have had several family members comment on the lack of smell with some surprise. Just my experience.

Good luck with the search for a new baby.

I definatley agree with frufru, all poos I have met and know have no doggy smell what so ever!

Mine are x breeds half poo and no doggy smell. You cannot even tell we have dogs in the house.

You wouldn't consider another standard poodle?

Edited by tlc

my samoyed does not have that doggy smell but if he gets wet he smells of wet wool :thumbsup: which is so much worse then doggy smell :laugh:

bit of baby powder fix's that LOL (when he dries)

but he is not you type of dog from what you are looking for but i love my fluffy cuddles. not when he yips but lol.

ahh love my sammie

My GSD has skin problems and he reeks! :) Not very nice to have in the house. That combined with the shedding (seriously I get a whole dog's worth of hair off him every week, despite him missing hair from skin problems) is making me not very keen on getting another one.

Poodle person here....never had a doggy smell with my dogs either. I would suggest visiting some poodle breeders for a refresher smell. I cant think of a larger breed dog that doesnt have an odor other than poodles. Portuguese water dogs? Not sure.

I don't find poodles to be overly smelly either. Some of the poodle crosses can be more smelly.

The worst breeds for smell imo are the double coated ones, in particular Goldens, Labs, GSDs, malamutes etc.

However, I find smell more to do with how well cared for the dogs is- if they are allowed inside, how regularly they get bathed. I bathe my labrador once every two weeks because she gets itchy and bathing helps soothe her skin. She doesn't smell, but she would if I left her for weeks without a bath, especially considering she swims every day.

Honestly I have met smelly dogs of pretty much every breed- including dobes. Its all about what you consider smelly and what grooming.bathing you do.

Hmm this is really odd, because I met his family's latest poodle and it was as stinky as any other dog. Dan says all of them have been the same, and he's had 3 in his life so far. And they washed him like once a month, which is about how often we wash our dobe. When you patted the poodle, your hand was left with that oily, smooth sort of feeling you get when you pat most dogs - if anyone knows what I mean, hard to describe lol. They have all been standard pedigree poodles, all black and all with papers so I'm not sure what's going on there...

I just had a potential epiphany though; maybe it's the diet that makes more difference than the breed. Our dobe is fed almost all natural food, and I think his parents were too and none of them smelt at all, despite his parents actually being dirty enough to leave your hand coloured. Our earlier dogs were always fed supermarket dog food, and always smelt, even like right after a bath. This gives me hope because maybe I can have a nice smelling GSD.

Does anyone else have a dog that eats a natural diet and doesn't smell?

PS I think Samoyeds are beautiful dogs but probably not the right sort of temperament for us, big dominant working dogs are one thing but I don't think we could handle a spitz lol

I have a GSD fed half raw half premium dry food and she does not smell doggy, although her breath sometimes smells like horse poo :)

She is groomed once a week and bathed every few months.

Could the inlaws STD Poodle have ear issues? that can make them smelly.

Not sure it is a breed based issue - my last dane had no dog smell at all. He could go 6-8 weeks without a bath and then it was only because he had got dirty etc. My current dane smells and needs baths every 2 weeks.

I have a dog with a GSD-like coat (probably GSD x) and he does not smell doggy. He does shed rampantly though.

My Aussie does have a slight doggy smell and needs baths more often. It doesn't bother us though.

We babysat a poodle x schnauzer for a while and he smelled horrible.

I do warn you thought that white coats get everywhere. White shows up on everything. Black work clothes are constantly coated in the things. Black hair doesn't seem so noticeable...

Hi all. My recent experience with my beautiful GSD is that there is minimal doggy smell in the house but the fur definitely prevents my girl having a cuddle before I leave for work in my suits. She has been crated inside since we got her at 8 weeks. She was given free rein of the house at 13 months mainly because she outgrew the xxl crate I got her. We live in a two bedroom townhouse. I have an extremely fussy mother (fortunately that gene skipped a generation) who visited us regularly during Abby's first twelve months and commented often on how unusual it was that the house didn't smell doggy. However, she hated the fur from Abby on her clothes. So to help your musing; no I do not think my GSD smells but she constantly sheds so the constant cleaning of the loose hair helps in minimizing odours as do timber floors and regularly washed throwovers on furniture. A bit of extra effort but well worth the joy of owning a GSD.

My GSD has skin problems and he reeks! :) Not very nice to have in the house. That combined with the shedding (seriously I get a whole dog's worth of hair off him every week, despite him missing hair from skin problems) is making me not very keen on getting another one.

Kavik, I had a GSD who had skin problems and she stunk. I put her on Lamb & Rice for about six weeks and she came good. She was fed Nutro Lamb & Rice the rest of her life and we never had any problems. You may have already tried this solution but if you havnt its worth a try.

I would suggest that maybe the Std Poodles he has owned in his life were either fed very poor diets, had ear issues, or both.

None of the poodles I get in to groom smell at all.

Keeshonds dont smell unless they get wet. In fact my Lhasa's dont smell either.

My Cocker Spanieal did smell very doggy (no she did not have skin, ear or flew issues) just that her natural healthy shiny coat smelt *doggy* GSDs do shed and that can be an issue but have never noticed that *doggy smell* from my friends' Newfies or Gsds but only my lovely Cocker :)

Generally I think smelly dogs are those that are not fed a diet that suits them- I say this because I had two of my dogs become smelly and oily when I changed from one super premium kibble to another. Since I swapped them back to the old kibble, and gave them a bath they have stopped being smelly.

I have one kelpie that has not been washed in well over a year. She has been herding, been out in the rain etc and comes in at night- most people comment on how nice she smells and how good she feels! I have been intending to wash her for months, but someone else always steps in something or is being shown and needs a wash etc. She is fed a good diet- mix of raw and good quality kibble and no problems.

There are plenty of GSDs at shows that are wonderful to cuddle- perhaps start there looking for nice healthy parents who smell and feel clean and go from there......

I find Poodles have a certain smell - although some of the time it is probably coming from their ears. I have a hyper sensitive nose though so if there is a smell, I will smell it!