Docking

nightgrace6

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My breed was traditionally docked and to be honest I liked the look of a docked tail on a GSP ..... my OH and I differ in that opinion completely

but I'm used to the longer tails now on them cause thats all you see really

(although I threaten the younger boy with docking his tail with a pair of sisscors every now and again cause he has a thinner and more deadly tail than the older boy does .... and I do bruise easily! )

* edited to add - the last bit ... was a complete joke .... I promise :)

Edited by FionaC

Hi, I am an owner of a docked breed. I got my dog 9 years ago already docked. Everytime I see the same breed with a tail they just don't look as appealing to me. I guess I just got use to seeing mine without a tail. I like the appearance and thats the truth.

My husband on the other hand doesn't mind the tail look he says theres is no difference.

edited to add that no one so far has said they thought is was crule.

I did have a discussion with one of my children who asked why Mambo doesn't have a tail?

Edited by Fleuri

The simple reality is it doesn' t matter now with the Australian rules one plans to buy from over seas .

I prefer docked but we now breed with tails just the way it is now.

What do i say to people nothing ,if they bring it up i don't respond it is an area that i prefer to agree to disagree

I have two previously docked breeds, the Irish Terriers used to have about a 1/3 removed and the Aussies the whole thing.

I prefer the look of both breeds docked for sure, but have gotten used to the longer tail on the Irish and I don't even think about it now.

The Aussies have a bob tail gene so we often get bob tailed puppies in a litter. All of mine have so far been bob tails but I'm sure it won't be long before I have a tailed Aussie. I prefer the bob/docked look but I don't mind a nice tail on an Aussie Shepherd. By nice I mean a full tail (we can get any length tail from almost nothing through long bobs, half tails, nearly complete tails and full tails and I don't like the look of partial tails). And I don't like tails that curl up over the back like a spitz. There's a bitch here who is shown occasionally with a gorgeous tail, her owner knows I would steal her if she gave me half a chance! :)

Is docking banned in Australia recently?

I don't own docked breed at the moment but i bought giant schnauzer puppy in 1997 just after tail docking was banned in 1996 in Finland. It took just a while to get use to the look, but i preferred my dog as a whole package.

Thanks for the replies... I have had 3/4 of the people I have seen since I've had my pup call me cruel and disgusting..I am sick to death of it.

I too prefer my breed without a tail but wouldn't hesitate to get one with a tail because its still the same breed.

Thanks for the replies... I have had 3/4 of the people I have seen since I've had my pup call me cruel and disgusting..I am sick to death of it.

I too prefer my breed without a tail but wouldn't hesitate to get one with a tail because its still the same breed.

I have a Frenchie (naturally no tail) and have also been called cruel etc. People are stupid :)

I own a breed that was traditionally docked (Field Spaniel). We love their tails and love their thumping.

As a look thing only, some of the breeds I prefer without a tail, the Dobes, Rotties, Boxers, Schnauzers, etc.

*I have been in such deep crap over this subject* :laugh:

So I decided to keep it simple :(

As we all know - there is more to a dog than it's tail, but what a difference the tail does make to the whole package.. :)

I have 3 Rotties, 1 docked, 1 with a beautiful thick correctly set tail and 1 with an "ok" tail but still within the breed standard. I much prefer the look of a docked Rottweiler but have to move on.... IF the dog is blessed with a lovely thick tail that is correctly carried (naturally) they look bloody fantastic, unfortunately not all Rottweilers are blessed with such beautiful tails and IMO it can ruin the look of an otherwise beautiful dog. (as I said IMO :D ) :laugh:

Edited by Andisa

Three of my four Aussies are tail-less, two of them NBT's and one docked. I like one of the NBT's and not the other because she has a short stub with a kink in it which sticks up. The other NBT has a short straight stub that he carries down and it's a much nicer profile.

My little docked girl came from WA and was docked before the ban was in place there, she has nothing at all. I actually prefer the nice NBT than nothing.

My tailed boy has a long partial tail, he has no white tip so I'm assuming it's a partial tail. I don't mind the way it looks, it suits him and he carries it nicely, but he hates it being touched so grooming it is a drama.

I kind of prefer Aussies without tails, but some of them have stunning tails and some have really awful natural bobs. I would love to see more tailed Aussies in the ring, the judges need to see them and learn to disregard the tail, no matter what the carriage.

i love the look of my breed (schnauzer) with a tail. i also get plenty of comments on how much more in proportion and good looking my dog is and many people think that is because he has a tail.

i wouldn't want him or any of my breed docked, i think they look much better with something at the end to balance out the big beard at the front!