Docking

nightgrace6

Is docking banned in Australia recently?

I don't own docked breed at the moment but i bought giant schnauzer puppy in 1997 just after tail docking was banned in 1996 in Finland. It took just a while to get use to the look, but i preferred my dog as a whole package.

It was banned in NSW in 2003, Im unsure on the other states

I dont like docking, I did work placement at a vet and had to hold a litter of pups when they were done...nope, not for me :D

My JRT is also docked (2001 pup, and she was docked before I picked her out or she would have had a one) I swear she gets a phantom tail sometimes, I hate seeing her try and bite the tail that doesnt exist

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*I have been in such deep crap over this subject* :(

:laugh: You and me both! :laugh:

Look, I love the Rotties and the Boxers and the Dobes and a few others with their tails docked. And I know I am not alone there.

Some of the longer coated breeds with a fluffy long tail flopping around, well, under all that hair, does it really matter? I don't have to pay too much attention to it, but the groomer does.

The breeds with the natural bobtail gene have at least got that avenue, but breeders do need to be careful with how they breed.

But at least they can tell people that they can buy a dog, with or without a tail! Stuff the stupid law and its supporters, nature has it covered in some breeds.

At the end of the day, the tail must be what is best for the dog. Not what it is best for the critics to moan about.

Souff just loves to see some know-it-all scowling at a dog with a short tail.

I had one such person raging on at me last year and I told her the truth - that the dog had broken the tail and that the amputation cost $330. She didn't believe me and still said it had been docked. Whatever! "Go get the RSPCA and I will get a copy of the vets bill for you."

If people have got nothing better to do than to go around criticising the length of puppy dogs tails then I suggest that they get on a plane and go to a country where they can do something useful. :D

Souff

edited for S&G

Edited by Souff

I like the look of a cropped tail on Dobes/Rotties etc, however my current Dobe has a tail and I actually really like it. IT is such an expressive part of his body and can and does tell me alot about his mood. There is nothing nicer than seeing your dogs tail wag or when they are focused on something and it is up at attention, curling over his back.

For those that think it is 'weird' or 'just doesn't look right' that is simply because you are used to seeing such breeds without them and in time will become used to a tail. If you would choose not to own a breed of dog simply because you can no longer have it's tail docked then I would say you must not truly love the breed at all (JMO). (Just adding that when I say 'you' I mean people in general, not anyone in particular) :D

I really like Old English Sheepdogs with tails, they have a whimsical, almost fantasy-like look about them and their lovely tail curling up adds to that magical look.

:D I have had OESD with no tail and currently have 2 with tails ..... and i would agree with GayleK on the tail

Tell them to simply pee off and mind their own business - you didn't do it anyway. Give it another 6 months and she will be big enough to tell them that she was born prior to the ban. A small white lie that shuts them up really quick.

And good on you for holding out for an example of our breed the way they should be. DOCKED :D . I hate our tails :laugh: .

How do you like your breed with a tail? Are you still breeding? Do you prefer it with a tail? What do you say to people that think its cruel?

Hate it with a passion

Didn't breed just exhibited and will never own a traditionally docked breed that is not docked

Can't stand the tails, so much so see above.

I ask those who think it's cruel have they ever seen it done by someone who knows what they are doing (breeder).

Love my toy poodles with their tails. That is the way they were born & the tail expresses a lot of what a dog is feeling.

I see absolutely no point in removing healthy parts of a dog unless there is a very good reason.

For cosmetic purposes is not a good reason.

its a huge debate and everyone feels differently, I have been debated with and screamed at and at the end of the day it ruffles my feathers especially when its half the friggen office I work with! I am getting tired of people preaching to me and I am open to a civil conversation about what people think but I would love for people to just accept my point of view and agree to disagree. I have partly blamed the rspca for the backlash...

Personally, I think the conversation (so far) has been pretty reasonable with no one having a go at anyone for their opinions. In the past, I have seen many a cat fight over the topic, LOL, so it's nice when you can get your point across without being cut down or yelled at.

We have one tailed Min Pin here and one docked - the docked girl (Mischa) has had hers done way too short, if you don't know her personally you can't read her moods at all! Cleo looks good with a tail, much more expressive and it adds to the prancy Min Pin gate. :D Having said that, Cleo is shorter and more solid than Mischa, who is taller and more willowy. I find it hard to imagine what she would be like with a tail.

I do prefer dogs with their natural tails. :laugh:

We have one tailed Min Pin here and one docked - the docked girl (Mischa) has had hers done way too short, if you don't know her personally you can't read her moods at all! Cleo looks good with a tail, much more expressive and it adds to the prancy Min Pin gate. :laugh: Having said that, Cleo is shorter and more solid than Mischa, who is taller and more willowy. I find it hard to imagine what she would be like with a tail.

I do prefer dogs with their natural tails. :laugh:

We don't have that issue with Aussies, they wiggle their whole butts and in some cases the whole body in several different directions at once. No doubt when a NBT/docked Aussie is happy! :D

We are well and truly used to tails on rottweilers now, and really appreciate a good specimen of the breed with a natural tail. We wouldn't go back to docking now, we like the tails and enjoy having our dogs with them.

Is it cruel, no, definitely not - not when done correctly.

The only dog I find a bit strange looking with a tail is a Pembroke Corgi. I think its because they are so low to the ground and their tails tend to be quite thick and bushy, so it makes them looks twice as long. But I think they carry the natural bobtail gene, so not all would have tails.

We have one tailed Min Pin here and one docked - the docked girl (Mischa) has had hers done way too short, if you don't know her personally you can't read her moods at all! Cleo looks good with a tail, much more expressive and it adds to the prancy Min Pin gate. :laugh: Having said that, Cleo is shorter and more solid than Mischa, who is taller and more willowy. I find it hard to imagine what she would be like with a tail.

I do prefer dogs with their natural tails. :(

We don't have that issue with Aussies, they wiggle their whole butts and in some cases the whole body in several different directions at once. No doubt when a NBT/docked Aussie is happy! :D

Haha, that is so true! Especially Holly! She has a massive wiggle. :laugh:

Dobes....I like the look of the docked tails,but I don't have any regrets now we have them with.I am used to the look and they now seem much more natural.

Maybe coincidence,but the agility of our tailed dogs is very much better and I think the tail helps as a "rudder". I have never seen another dog like Moss on her feet,unless its a Foxy. :D

My poodle had a tail and althou I like the look of docking in some dogs - I didn't feel strongly enough to have it done.

The property I worked on had a rottie and he had a lovely tail. But looking at the size of it ,specially at the base, glad no one cut it off.

I listen to others (DOLers)more now as I did't know much about dogs but I was really surprised that there is such support of docking. Obviously it is more complicated than I thought. :D

I have never owned a traditionally docked breed but my brother has always owned boxers and his last pup came from NZ because he wanted a docked tail - also have friends who bought their boxer from a BYB so they could get the docked tail

I have never owned a traditionally docked breed but my brother has always owned boxers and his last pup came from NZ because he wanted a docked tail - also have friends who bought their boxer from a BYB so they could get the docked tail

Isn't that the scary thing though? that ppl will go to BYB who will dock inhumanely, because breeders - who previously did it properly - now won't because they are decent, registered breeders?

I had a docked Rotti and love the breed tailless ... that said, it wouldn't stop me from owning the breed again with a tail.

Although my mastiff x has his tail and its a weapon of mass destruction and he does hurt him a lot as it whacks around, so sometimes I look at him and think would he be better off docked. Its contentious!