Dingoes Destroyed After Fraser Attack

shortstep

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environmen...0426-1duel.html

Two dingoes that attacked a toddler on Fraser Island yesterday have been captured and destroyed, the Department of Environment and Resource Management has confirmed.

The three-year-old girl was hospitalised after being bitten by two wild dogs as she waited for a barge with her family at Hook Point on the southern end of the island about 2.45pm.

The toddler suffered puncture wounds on both legs.

The first dingo, which was captured and destroyed overnight, was a three-year-old male weighing 21.3 kilograms.

A dingo of that size on the island is considered to be extremely large. The average size of a male dingo on Fraser Island is 18.3 kilograms.

The second dingo was captured and killed later in the morning.

Terry Harper, general manager of the Department of Environment and Resource Management, told 612 ABC radio the incident happened without warning.

"The dingoes were out of sight in nearby bushes and when the child was away from the adults [the dogs] came in an attacked the child," he said.

"They managed to bite her several times on both legs before the adults nearby managed to scare the dingoes off."

Dingo expert Dr Ian Gunn said the attack appeared to be very unusual, even for starving dingoes.

"It just seems an amazing sort of situation to have two dingoes run out of the bush in broad daylight and attack a little girl in amongst other people," he told 612 ABC.

She received first aid treatment on the island before being taken to Gympie Hospital.

Mr Harper denied natural food supplies were dwindling on the island, which is renowned for its wild dingo population.

"The research that we have done shows that that isn't the case," he told 612 ABC radio.

"The dingoes on the Fraser Island are on average three to five kilograms heavier than their mainland counterparts. There is plenty of natural food around for them."

Advertisement: Story continues below Animal activist Jennifer Parkhurst has a conflicting account of the attack.

‘‘I have an eye witness report - the parents were down on the water edge waiting for the barge and the child was behind them playing on the sand. The dingoes were out on the beach,’’ she told 612 ABC.

‘‘The child went running into the bush and the dingoes chased after her. The eye witness saw what was happening jumped out of the car, ran screaming and yelling towards the child, and was able to chase the dingo off.

‘‘The parents were still unaware that this was happening.’’

Ms Parkhurst, the president of Save Fraser Island Dingoes, told 612 ABC dingoes on the island are in crisis.

‘‘It is unusual dingo behaviour and I can only say that the reason was something to do with the fact that the dingoes are in crisis on Fraser Island,’’ she said.

‘‘This is the time when juvenile dingoes get around a bit more. Unfortunately the pack social structure has been fractured on Fraser Island and the juvenile dingoes are kind of like teenagers without parents wandering around.’’

Ms Parkhurst said she was concerned the wrong animal could be destroyed.

‘‘One of the witnesses is very familiar with the tag ID system and he was quite was quite close to the dingo and he was unable to identify them,’’ she said.

‘‘I really don’t know how any particular dingo will be identified to be destroyed. I hope that the right dingo is identified.’’

Mr Harper advised all visitors to the island to be "dingo smart".

"Our ambition is to keep dingoes wild on Fraser Island which is a wild place," he said. "One of the implications of that is that people need to take personal responsibility for going to wild places and on Fraser Island that includes being 'dingo smart'."

Yesterday's attack was the second on the island in about three months after a Korean woman was surrounded by a pack of five dingoes on Eurong Beach on January 16.

The woman followed safety advice and responded assertively towards the dingoes, causing them to retreat.

She suffered only minor injuries.

Those who feed dingoes or leave food exposed on the island risk a maximum $4000 penalty.

Also

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/25/3200020.htm

Girl mauled by Fraser Island dingoes

Updated Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59am AEST

Ambulance officials say the dingo inflicted multiple puncture wounds to the girl's legs. (www.sxc.hu: Alex Maher, file photo)

Video: Dingoes maul girl on Fraser Island (7pm TV News NSW) Map: Eurong 4581 Related Story: Parks service threatens to destroy attacking dingo Related Story: Convicted dingo feeder fears jail threat Related Story: Island visitors accused of flouting dingo laws Related Story: Dingo numbers on Fraser Island underestimated Related Story: 'Flimsy' report doesn't mean Fraser Island dingoes healthy Related Story: Woman who fed Fraser Island dingoes fined $40k Related Story: Legal stoush brewing over Fraser Is dingo laws Authorities say two dingoes that mauled a child on Fraser Island, off the southern Queensland coast, will be tracked down and destroyed.

The three-year-old girl was bitten on the legs while waiting to board a barge with her family at Hook Point yesterday.

The dogs leapt from nearby bushes, biting both of her legs.

People who saw the incident chased the dogs away.

Ambulance officials say the girl suffered multiple puncture wounds to her legs.

Terry Harper, from the Parks and Wildlife Service, says the dingoes will be put down.

"We have many witnesses who have provided some very useful information about the identification of those dingoes and in accordance with the Fraser Island dingo management strategy the dingoes responsible for this attack will need to be humanely destroyed," he said.

Mr Harper says the girl received first aid on the barge and was taken to Gympie Hospital for further treatment.

"There were no dingoes in view and the child was momentarily between adults when two dingoes came out from the bushes and attacked the young child," he said.

Dingo expert Dr Ian Gunn says the attack is very unusual.

"I am devastated for the little girl; it is quite amazing to hear why two dingoes have run out of the bush in broad daylight and attacked a little girl," he said.

"It just sounds totally amazing to me and out of character of normal dingo behaviour."

In 2001, dingoes were blamed for the death of a nine-year-old boy who was found dead near the island's Waddy Point.

Dozens of dingoes were killed by rangers as a result of the incident.

Edited by shortstep

These people have got to remember that this is the dingos only home, they can't go anywhere else as they are on an island. The people keep going to this island and they know beforehand that there are dingos there, but the poor dingos end up being the bad guys because of a lack of supervision by parents. It's like swimming in the ocean and being attacked by a shark, then going out and killing the shark for attacking someone in it's own home.

These people have got to remember that this is the dingos only home, they can't go anywhere else as they are on an island. The people keep going to this island and they know beforehand that there are dingos there, but the poor dingos end up being the bad guys because of a lack of supervision by parents. It's like swimming in the ocean and being attacked by a shark, then going out and killing the shark for attacking someone in it's own home.

Completely agree.

I really think that places like Fraser where there is an abundance of carnivores should be treated a bit like an African wildlife park, you wouldn't go wandering on foot among wild lions and cheetahs etc so why do people think that wild dogs are any safer? I think the whole management strategy of the island needs to change people are suffering and the dingo population is suffering it can't continue like this.

From what others in population genetics say, the island is not big enough to support the dingo long term, that the size of the island will keep the population at about 2-400 and that is not enough dogs to be genetically viable over the long term.

I agree with the person who asked what the parents were doing, how absolutely silly to not be absolutely aware of exactly were your child is and have an eye on them at all times on Fraser. If you go there you are more than aware of the dingoes and the dangers they can present especially to children or lone people, you should always watch your kids, keep them very close and travel in pairs of adults at the very least. It is just common sense.

I doubt they could accurately identify the dingoes who were responsible for the attack from a few witnesses accounts, they are not very distinctive especially if you are not an expert on them. They propbably culled 2 innocent dingoes just for the sake of placating the public when in truth the dingoes should not have been touched and the parents should be fined.

A family friend of ours was attacked by dingoes on Fraser Island about 25 yeras ago- they broke her arm. Again they were waiting for the barge. Kids being kids she was playing in the sand about 5 metres from their car when the dingoes attacked. Parents were right there as were her two other sisters. She was about 8 years old too! Don't remember if they caught the dingoes, but we were super careful when going to Fraser Is after that!

I agree it should be treated like a wildlife reserve in Africa.

I was bitten by a dingo on Fraser Island about 25 years ago too. Again while waiting for the barge. I was at the back of our 4WD with my dad, we had been feeding the dingos (I know, I know) and when we ran out of food all but one went away. The one that stayed became very agitated and bit my hand. To be honest I am surprised that more people have not been bitten as they were very bold and would openly approach people, even allowing a pat here and there, but would become agitated when the food stopped coming.

One barge was delayed because there was a dingo on board! He was going from car to car hoping for a handout and they had a lot of trouble getting him off so they could leave for the mainland.

I am not surprised this happened.

The dingoes are not truly wild- they have regular close contact with people so are not afraid of them.

The parents should have been watching their kid more closely. I think it is unfair to punish the dingoes for acting naturally- attempting to prey on a weaker member of a pack.

People who go to Fraser Island should do so at their own risk- I agree with the suggestions it should be treated like an African wildlife reserve.

Totally agree.We humans are on their territory after all, but as usual the animal pays the price.

Kids shouldnt be allowed on fraser full stop i dont even know why the parents even took the toddler there :) dingoes are a dying species as it is and now two more are gone. I feel sorry for this child but in my opinion to a wild animal, baby creatures are seen as easy prey. Watch lions and wolves they would prefer to catch a baby animal because they are easier to catch. As horrible as that sounds and i hate to say it but its true you cant blame these dingoes because of their natural instinct.

Kids shouldnt be allowed on fraser full stop i dont even know why the parents even took the toddler there :) dingoes are a dying species as it is and now two more are gone. I feel sorry for this child but in my opinion to a wild animal, baby creatures are seen as easy prey. Watch lions and wolves they would prefer to catch a baby animal because they are easier to catch. As horrible as that sounds and i hate to say it but its true you cant blame these dingoes because of their natural instinct.

I don't think it needs to be as far as banning toddlers/young children, my friend went over Easter Weekend and her toddler came out just fine. It comes down to the parents being responsible about their children. If you don't want to keep a constant eye on your child then don't go to Fraser Island or leave your kids at home with babysitters/family because they need to be closely and constantly supervised.

I've been to Fraser Island twice on tours and the most dangerous thing was the first bus driver. An absolute maniac who ran private tourist vehicles off the road. We went so fast that we didn't see any wildlife at all.

A second trip a couple of years ago with a different company was brilliant and I was thrilled to see two dingos in the scrub beside the beach. It's such a pity that any attack results in the death of these wild animals. Why parents continually allow there children to wander away is beyond belief. As for those who feed the dingos, encouraging them approach humans for food - totally insane.

Time to stop shooting the dingos and start fining those who get bitten. The population is large enough to supports itself, far smaller populations of animals flourish just fine when left without human intervention.

Errm the genetic gene pool on fraser isnt in decline, Dingoes frequently swim between inskip and the isle, there is a problem on the isle ,see the council whats money, ergo tourists and a draw card is the dingoe, so much as they try to deny the fact, it's not not just the beach, 4 wheeling and the lagoon.

The biggest problem is the rubbish left behind, and people leaving scraps out for the dogs, dingoes are usually timid and recluse themselves from human contact but generation after generation have more or less seen them turn into pseudo "camp dogs'. loosing inhibitions. I am pretty much agreeing with those saying treat the isle like a game reserve.

Errm the genetic gene pool on fraser isnt in decline, Dingoes frequently swim between inskip and the isle, there is a problem on the isle ,see the council whats money, ergo tourists and a draw card is the dingoe, so much as they try to deny the fact, it's not not just the beach, 4 wheeling and the lagoon.

The biggest problem is the rubbish left behind, and people leaving scraps out for the dogs, dingoes are usually timid and recluse themselves from human contact but generation after generation have more or less seen them turn into pseudo "camp dogs'. loosing inhibitions. I am pretty much agreeing with those saying treat the isle like a game reserve.

The Queensland Government need to do more work with Fraser. Being such a big tourist attraction they need to make sure the amount of rangers during peak periods on the Island are higher than what they currently have, the only time we saw rangers was at night time when they were checking permits for camping. They also need to start kicking people off the Island for things such as feeding the dingoes or encouraging them in any way, or people who are not being responsible and leaving their children unattended, leaving food unattended, leaving rubbish and scraps. It does need to be treated as a wild game reserve as others have suggested which means much better management by Queensland Government.

Kids shouldnt be allowed on fraser full stop i dont even know why the parents even took the toddler there :cheer: dingoes are a dying species as it is and now two more are gone. I feel sorry for this child but in my opinion to a wild animal, baby creatures are seen as easy prey. Watch lions and wolves they would prefer to catch a baby animal because they are easier to catch. As horrible as that sounds and i hate to say it but its true you cant blame these dingoes because of their natural instinct.

I don't think it needs to be as far as banning toddlers/young children, my friend went over Easter Weekend and her toddler came out just fine. It comes down to the parents being responsible about their children. If you don't want to keep a constant eye on your child then don't go to Fraser Island or leave your kids at home with babysitters/family because they need to be closely and constantly supervised.

Yes, but unfortunately there are a lot of people out there without any common sense who do not properly supervise their kiddies. It may be a tough restriction but if it saves lives (of both the dingo and human kind)...

Not allowing children under a certain age rules out the scenario of the young child wandering off and getting attacked. Heck, I'm pretty sure one of the islands off Cairns in FNQ (Lizard, I think?) have an age restriction and that's only for quiet enjoyment of the island, nothing to do with predators.