Pushy Puppy Enquiries !

Libertybrook

I have had several enquiries for BC's pups over the last few weeks,

most have been great lovely people etc, when I explain that we wont be having another litter until probably next year, ( we have only had 2 litters in the last 5 years) what the conditions of the sale are, and when we have a confirmed litter it will be advertised on my website, etc,

but I have this one couple who have come back again and again with an email, telling me they want pick of litter, which dogs on my website will be used for the litter and when can they get one, blah blah blah, :(

are they long coated?? do they actually work???

when I said yes

they are long coated BC's and yes they can work two from my last litter are out on very large working sheep/cattle properties and doing very well, I know this cause one is local and will be trialling this year and I catch up with her owners everynow and then, lol.

but not every dog will turn out to be good working dogs, just as not every puppy will turn out to be a good show dog, agility etc etc, :D

maybe I am just too polite sometimes, do I keep replying to their emails?, or do I just ignore them, I mean we often see on here people complaining that breeders never get back to them and then come on here and other places and bag breeders in general. :mad

its just so annoying......... :o:)

tell them to keep an eye on your website and that it is pointless to continually keep contacting you until there is a confirmed litter. Maybe they are just being super keen and think if they are in your face all the time they will get 1st pick. Also tell them you always choose which pup goes to which home as you know the pups best and there is no guarantee of working ability.

Are you saying they are telling you what dogs to use for the litter they want pick puppy from?

If that is the case, I would politely tell them that it is up to you and only you what dogs/bitches you plan to use and go from there.

If they get too pushy, I would delete and block them. But I'm nasty like that :)

Don't you just love some puppy people.....not!

I agree with Rebanne, tell them to watch your website for any updates and that YOU will be picking the pups, if they aren't happy with that, then you should suggest that they go elsewhere. Pushy people get no where with me. :)

Are you saying they are telling you what dogs to use for the litter they want pick puppy from?

If that is the case, I would politely tell them that it is up to you and only you what dogs/bitches you plan to use and go from there.

If they get too pushy, I would delete and block them. But I'm nasty like that :)

I agree with Benshiva. Delete and block.

I've only had to do it twice, but I guess I am nasty too because one was my 2nd cousin! :o:(

Sometimes it can be a fine line for puppy people to walk, too patient and passive and the breeder may think they aren't keen or don't know the breed, too proactive and specific and you risk being pushy and seen as a know it all !!

I know in my early days of looking for a breeder I was worried about being either of those and tried to walk the middle ground.

Its not easy dealing with pushy enquiries, but sometimes a person just knows how much they really want a pup from a particular breeder and do more than everything to get there !!!

fifi

I find it hard to be rude to people and even harder to tell people no...

since I don't know how many i am having (although it's confirmed) and I have a lot of enquiries for boys, I tell people that although there may be some still for sale, puppies are matched to homes based on temperament and requirements and so there is never a guarantee that there will be a puppy for them. Most people seem to accept this and the keen ones email me occasionally with questions or asking about my bitch. People who don't want/understand that their puppy is selected for them aren't worth my time.

I also have a blog on my website and so I tell people to visit this if they want updates.

Just be honest ,if you don't want to sell to them then don't string them along ,You don't have to say an outright no

The litter hasn't been planned yet,pick puppy isn't for sale( i gather it isn't??) & to watch your website for further details

Pushy people get wiped off our list ,there is a difference between keen & over the top

thanks guys,

I just dont like being rude to people, have told them NO they wouldnt be getting first pick, and that there are a number of people who are already on a list,

I sort of got the feeling they are the types that if the puppy didnt come with a 100% guarantee that is was a

BIS/WORKING/AGILITY champion etc they would whinge form here to eternity,

so I think I will just give them the line,

litter hasnt been plannned / confirmed and give them someone else names :)

Ah Libertybrook I hear your pain.....I still have a person who wants a pup from my current litter but is making all sorts of demands....am at the point of cancelling her off the list and keeping the pup until the right home comes along....she wants to argue why the pup has to be on the LR, wants to argue when it can be desexed, isn't satisfied with my health testing, wants to know why an 8wo puppy can't be hipscored...and the list continues....I have until now tried to be polite - and this is since she changed her mind several times from bitch to dog, from yes taking pup to no need to wait......the more I type the more I realise I just don't want to deal with this woman LOL

edited to add that she just called again - still wants the pup (Lord help me) BUT I'll have to keep her here for another few weeks as she is going on holidays.......have said that may not be acceptable and I will need to ponder on it...unbelievable.....

Edited by Fit for a King

Ah Libertybrook I hear your pain.....I still have a person who wants a pup from my current litter but is making all sorts of demands....am at the point of cancelling her off the list and keeping the pup until the right home comes along....she wants to argue why the pup has to be on the LR, wants to argue when it can be desexed, isn't satisfied with my health testing, wants to know why an 8wo puppy can't be hipscored...and the list continues....I have until now tried to be polite - and this is since she changed her mind several times from bitch to dog, from yes taking pup to no need to wait......the more I type the more I realise I just don't want to deal with this woman LOL

edited to add that she just called again - still wants the pup (Lord help me) BUT I'll have to keep her here for another few weeks as she is going on holidays.......have said that may not be acceptable and I will need to ponder on it...unbelievable.....

Your patient ,they would have got the flick a long time ago

There is this great little folder called "junk"

Well said Mystiqview. There is only so much that you can take if they dont get the picture, then I would block them.

I use a hotmail account for my webpage and anything to do with puppy listings. I have had problems previously having my normal email address on DOL and other websites with spam. I know DOL has finally improved the system against bots, but Hotmail has a great junk folder.

For my normal email, I use an external mailwash program. I can delete, bounce and blacklist emails from the server before downloading them.

I agree.. while I attempt to assist.. some just need to be ignored. Let them annoy someone else..