Desexing

LozaBalgo

Hi Again All,

Just looking for advice.

We are getting a labrador retriever in 2.5 weeks and I have just rang the vet to organise his 2nd lots of vac's.

When asked if he was desexed I replied that I would wait until about 12 months on the advice of his breeder and her vet.

Now my vet said to me there is a new law or policy (not 100% which one she said) that if you do not get your pup desexed before 5 months it will cost double.

Now I am not worried about the cost at all. I just want to know what the best time is for the health and well being of our beloved pup, Paddy!!!!

Also, the breeder has just let me know he has an undershot jaw..... has anyone had any experience with this??? We are not showing him, so not concerned about that just if there is anything extra we need to do to keep him safe and healthy.

Looking forward to your replies,

Laura :laugh:

The best time for humans' convenience is 5-6 mths . The best time for a growing puppy is around 12 months . I have only known vets charge by weight - so, yes, you would probably be paying a lot more for a 25/30 kg dog, as opposed to one about 1/2 that weight :laugh:

Is the vet talking about the cost of registering the pup with council?

If not, find another vet.

LISTEN TO YOUR BREEDER. They know what's best for the breed they love.

Edited by poodlefan

TBH I think it's a really good incentive directed at Joe Public. I personally, would of course find another vet, but I can see that this also has a big positive too.

TBH I think it's a really good incentive directed at Joe Public. I personally, would of course find another vet, but I can see that this also has a big positive too.

I think its got every possibility of convincing Joe Public not to desex at all.

Or register entire dogs.. but that's nothing new.

Edited by poodlefan

Sounds like the vet who told my puppy buyers that if they did not desex their bitch before 6 months old she would get cancer and die. They rang me terrified!

No way the price should double. I would find a new vet too.

yup find a new veterinarian. Doubling after 5 months is a con and it's not the law at all. My boss used to be like that about dogs over a certain age, I asked what about people who purchase older dogs and be responsible? Not their fault it's not done earlier.

Vets seem to be getting really bad on both education and customer service.

I wouldn't pay for a vet that charges any more because of a dog's age/size. I "shopped around" for a vet that I was comfortable with, and who I feel had fair prices.

I would find a new vet. My vet took it as a given that James would be done at 6 months but happily dropped the issue when told that he wouldn't. I really would not be happy to be given a "5 months or double the cost" ultimatum.

My labrador boy was just done recently at 14 months :cry: His breeder recommended anytime after 9 months but had it not been for his upcoming council registration renewal I probably would have left him until at least 18 months or possibly not had him desexed at all.

I would not be neutering a male lab any earlier than 12 mths preferably 18 mths. I had my female bc spayed at 14 mths old after she had her 1st heat. The only extra costs involved were meds when she had an infection not related to the spay & triple council rego costs because she wasn't spayed when she had to be registered at 6 mths.

As to the undershot jaw, I'm not sure I'd want a pup with that. Did you have a choice of which pup you were getting? If no one gives advice on it here, when you find another vet, ask for their advice.

I have 2 BC's Laura, A male & a female both of them are desexed . Got them both done at 6 mths of age. Sonny is almost 3 now & Stella has just turned 6 mths. Don't know anything about any new law. My vet didn't mention anything about that to me & I only had Stella done on Tuesday of this week. Desexing prices goes on the weight & sex of your puppy as far as I know.

Both my furry kids also have under shot jaws. If you are buying your puppy on limited register as I have you can't show them anyway. I was a bit concerned at first about it when I went to see Sonny but after it was explained to me by the breeder that it doesn't hurt/worry the dog in any way, it certainly didn't bother me. And neither of mine have had any problems with it what so ever. I thought it might effect their eating, but it certainly doesn't effect my two. They can eat everything & Stella would if I allowed her to. :heart: You wouldn't know to look at them there was anything out of the ordinary either, unless you opened their mouth. Also my Sonny's jaw almost corrected itself. He started off with a gap of roughly 5mm. A males bottom jaw continues to go until they are about 8 mths of age. His only finished up short by about 1/2 mm. Stella's was a bigger undershot than Sonny's, 7.5mm maybe, but hers is improving everyday. Girls bottom jaw continue to grow till there about 12 months according to my vet. As long as it is an under bite & not an over bite, their can be big problems with over shots apparently & also make sure the jaw is not twisted in anyway. The way I look at it is if my pups didn't have this imperfection then I would not of been offered them & the absolute pleasure of owning them cause the breeder would of kept them to show herself. It is a genetic thing. Both mine have very similar blood line, Sonny's dad is Stella's grand dad. In the end it is entirely up to you. Hope I have been of some help. :heart: If you need to ask me anything else , feel free to email me.

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

It was definitely the costs on the desexing, not council rego.

I have two vets to choose from one in Alice Springs, (11 hours away) or one in Kununurra (9 hours away).

The first one I asked was Alice Springs as I did not realise Kununurra was so close and my 3 kidlets board there in Alice.

So I have rang Kununurra and they do not recommend getting a female done till after 7 months and a male till after 9 months.

They are happy for me to wait 12 months and have no idea why Alice Springs told me what they did.

I think it was like someone mentioned: for the average Jo who may let their dogs have too many litters.

So I am happy with this now and have already booked my 2nd lot of vac's with them.

As to the undershot jaw, I am not sure of the gap. Will have to ask the breeder when I pick him up (only 15 days and 3500kms to go!!!!)

The pup still needs a home and he is already a part of the family even though he is not here, so we are happy to care for him and take on board any costs involved.

I am adding some pics...... I cant even tell that he has something wrong, he is toooooo adorable!!!

Cheers,

Laura.

post-39772-1304686093_thumb.jpg

I think its got every possibility of convincing Joe Public not to desex at all.

Or register entire dogs.. but that's nothing new.

YOu're right, I didn't think of it that way - instead of people getting in quick to save it could absolutely put them off over the 6 mo mark.