What Do You Do In The Dog World?

Leelaa17

I am really curious to know what everyone does as a career in relation to the dog world, or whether they are just pet owners.

For example, I am just a pet owner. But I am interested to know what qualifications people have, what jobs they have, what their hobbies are in the dog world. Like are you a behaviourist, dog trainer, breeder, vet nurse, vet surgeon, or just like me, an owner!!

:love:

First i am a pet owner :eek: But also run my own Pet Sitting business, I am a Qualified Behaviourist, I dont get time to do much with this but do help out from time to time, I am 2IC in a pet supply store and badly want to get back into obedience! I have also been a Team Leader at a local Boarding kennel, was there for about 2 years :)

Oh, i have also worked in a rescue (feels like such a long time ago!) and help out when I can here, i have fostered for the PACERS and plan to do that again if they need me (cat only, cant bring another dog into my house )

I'm currently completing my degree in natural medicine for animals.

Am a qualified small animal massage therapist & pet nutrionist

Previously worked for Guide Dogs SA as a puppy training assistant.

Also was one half of Shar Pei Rescue Australia but taking a rest from dog rescue for a few months.

I own two amazing Shar Pei girls & am currently hand raising a litter of kittens (their mother was killed when they were only 1 week old & are now 4 weeks old)

Edited by PeiPei

My first doggy job was working in a Sydney PP store. I have learnt a lot since then!

I have been a dog and cat groomer for 14 years but last year I had to have surgery on my ulnar nerve due to damage after years of grooming. Unfortunately that was the end to my professional grooming career. I have had a very successful salon in Sydney and two in Brisbane. Now I just get my fix by grooming my Shih Tzu, Daisy, poor thing probably has a breed identity crisis with the amount of different breed cuts she has had since I shut my salon. :eek: I now just groom friends dogs and teach new groomers but I would like to maybe go back to the grooming competition ring after my arm heals.

I was an obedience instructor at my club in Sydney but haven't really got involved with the current club I am a member of here in Brisbane.

I also had a doggy bakery business about 10 years ago and would make dog biscuits and sell them to my grooming clients, at the markets and at the local pet shops. It was fun coming up with the ideas (and my dogs loved being taste testers :) ) but I didn't get much money for the time I put in, so I gave up after about 18 months.

I currently show Golden Retrievers and am loving the show ring.

I am now at Uni studying media and still have the tag as the crazy dog lady. Once you've been involved with dogs I don't think you ever shake that. :love:

I'll just stick to the last 6 years...

Undergrad in Animal Science. Discovered the joy of research in my Honours year with a completely self-driven cat behaviour/welfare project in animal shelters.

Now doing a self-driven PhD in canine/feline-human relationships in animal shelters. Lecture on cat/dog behaviour/welfare at my own and other Universities.

Compete in obedience and agility with my Dalmatian. Dabbled in showing but not enough hours in the day!

Train my young field-bred ESS for retrieving, obedience and agility. She is only 9 months old so not yet competing.

Sucker volunteer carer for foster kittens (mum "Seven" plus her 7 Deadly Sins at the moment :love: )

Deliver monthly seminars on cat behaviour for the public.

Like Staranais - not a lot of free time :eek:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Showie... 3rd Generation

Trained Vet Nurse

Used to teach Show training

Have titled a Standard Poodle, a lowchen and gained nearly all but the last 6points for an Afghan

Handled... Beligan shepherds, Poodles (all sizes), Lowchens, Havanese, Bichon, Great Danes and Papillion

Part-time groomer

Ex committee member of an all breeds club

Wants to learn Agility, so i can jump threw hoops :eek:

Dog owner, photographer, showed in the past, grew up with family breeding & exhibiting dogs. Training for ET atm. I'd love to get into agility in the future, but time is a factor.

I'm a small animal veterinarian, I've been posting here since I was a student at university and this is may main out of work contact with 'the dog world'. Since then I've worked solely in small animal practice. I've since done a postgraduate course in Behavioural Medicine and I'm currently doing a Masters in Veterinary Studies. I own two dogs that I adopted from Monica's Doggie Rescue, have recently avoided being suckered into bring another dog home from work.

Studied undergrad zoology

Became a science teacher (and started putting animals into classrooms asap!!)

Volunteer/casual at RSPCA as animal attendant, behaviour/training assistant, education officer (which also means beautiful Miss Em gets to come and be an education dog on those days!)

Little animal foster carer (kittens, reptiles, pouch young in the past) - aka sucker!

Delta Pet Partners pet therapy

Train in obedience - hoping to compete later this year

Train and compete in agility

Volunteer obedience instructor

And all round dog (and almost all other animals) lover!!!! At school the kids call me the "animal lady"!!

I am a Vet Nurse and I am just about to open boarding kennels in about 3 - 4 months time.

I may also be doing public speaking with one of my dogs at primary schools promoting responsible pet ownership if she passes all the tests in the next few weeks. I do obedience classes on Sundays and occasionally show my Newfie.

Full time mum to a nearly 2 year old, housekeeper, cook, cleaner and gardener.

Used to work for Frozen Puppies Dot Com which was a well known Canine Fertility Clinic.

Breeder of beautiful Border Collies

Slave to one spoilt Whippet

Show our dogs

Also show, Beardies, Corgis and Pomeranians consistantly for others (thanks to the owners for entrusting these gorgeous dogs to me xx)

Occassionally show other breeds when required

Hubby does Agility/Obedience and about to get into Herding with our dogs

Give private show handling lessons.

Oops forgot Trainee Working Dog Judge

Edited by benshiva

I'm a dog owner & an Animal Management Officer/Animal Attendent at a low-kill shelter ;)

How long have you been working there Maverick? And i love the fact that you work at a low kill shelter! That is fabulous!!!!!!!!! :D

4 very rewarding years :)

They took me on when I left school in year 9, then employed me the day I turned 16.

I'm also a foster carer, mainly for kittens but I have the odd dog or litter of pups in between :)

Dog Related History only - animal related there is too much and very varied

20 years Grooming (including 10 years training)

Senior Trainer Lions Hearing Dogs

L3 Supervisor AWL

Veterinary Nurse

Retail 8 years (animal)

Owned and trained by a CAO Livestock Guardian (RIP Jake :D )

Past member of Dog & Cat Management Board Forum

Past Member of Dept of Health Legislation (Animal related) Committee

Past Member of TAFE SA Veterinary and Applied Science Management Committee

Past State Coordinator for PIAA

Edited by casowner

Owned and successfully shown, bred and trialled Border Collies since 1983, breeding and handling numerous Champions and Obedience titled dogs, a Grand Champion, and a couple of Best in Show winners. Also dabbled in agility, herding and tracking and now occasionally handle Japanese Spitz.

Dab hand at puppy stacking so am often asked to help assess litters and stack them for photos.

Served on the committees of All Breeds and Breed clubs, with over 25 years devoted to the hereditary diseases sub-committee of the BCC of NSW, which has been instrumental in having two DNA tests developed for our breed. My main dog interest is health and genetics.

Written published articles for dog magazines, educating breeders about DNA testing, BC grooming and Traditional Chinese Medicine for dogs.

Previously worked for the AWL on reception at the main shelter in NSW, one of the original pet food warehouses, a grooming parlour and have instructed in obedience and show handling.

Currently working as a Pet Educator and completing my studies to become a Web Designer.

Edited by dancinbcs

Guest Willow

Ex shelter worker (RSPCA)

Former committee member of rescue group, and also foster carer

Qualified Vet Nurse

Ex doggy daycare worker

Dog trainer (both private & for RSPCA & local vet clinics)

also neighbourhood "crazy animal lady" which is unqualified & unpaid, but I seem to get all sorts of wierd wildlife & domestic animals "gifted" on me....for some reason the locals here think I'm a vet, despite my assurances that I'm not!!!!

At the moment, I'm taking a break from the dog world (other than to be a pet owner) and am concentrating on my own skinkid breeding programme :D

I have a BA Dip Ed.

I work as a Groomer.

I also run my own business doing dog show catalogues.

I have been showing & (very occasionally) breeding Keeshonds for 19 years, and Lhasa Apsos for 15 years.