Washing Dog Blankets

SarasMum

I use the normal washing machine, we also have GSDs and lots of hair. After a dog load, I let the washing machine dry out and then I vaccuum it and the next load is people towels or sheets. Clothes get washed after that and everything goes into the drier. I dont have much of a problem with residual hair on clothes that way.

I do the same, I have heaps of dog washing every day with 10 plus dogs and usually a few puppies as well (rescue)

I will never forget the first time my dogless girlfriend saw me vacuuming the washing machine :laugh: I had forgotten that not everyone has the need to do this :o

Edited by Cazstaff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just throw them out once they get grotty :o

It probably sounds very lazy but.. washing so many dog coats and blankets has mangled our washing machine and on more than a few occasions, the laundry has flooded when dog hair has clogged something up. The blankets we buy for our guys cost only about $20 each (for a queen-size, coral fleece blanket- very warm and soft, I actually have one for the couch) so it just seemed easier to us to toss the dirty ones, rather than risk breaking the washing machine again (which costs a lot more than $20 to repair).

The dogs' pajamas and coats still have to be washed because they're more expensive/difficult to replace so the aim was to at least cut down on the amount of dog stuff that goes in the wash every week. We stopped buying actual dog beds entirely as they're just awful to keep clean enough, you can only fit one greyhound-sized bed in a load (which is a massive waste of water) and then they take days to dry, assuming you get decent weather.

Ideally, it'd be a cheap washing machine just for dog stuff but there's just zero room in our laundry for anything else (and having it in the garage would require having the plumbing put in) so for the moment, buying new ones is the best option.

I throw mine out too.I get all my greyhounds blankets from the local Op Shops.Really nice pure wool blankets at a bargain price(and your making a donation as well)As my two have turned my backyard into a muddy racetrack I would be washing every five minutes!I do have a problem with static electricity in their polar fleece pj's.Does anyone know how to stop this as the poor things are getting zapped.

If I threw them out, I'd be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year on blankets given how often I wash them. :laugh:

I am loving my new top loader. Its as big a house and I can shove everything in. I've only had it since last night and I have alredy done 3 loads. Ahh, such a joy to wash again! :thumbsup:

I actually just throw them out once they get grotty :o

It probably sounds very lazy but.. washing so many dog coats and blankets has mangled our washing machine and on more than a few occasions, the laundry has flooded when dog hair has clogged something up. The blankets we buy for our guys cost only about $20 each (for a queen-size, coral fleece blanket- very warm and soft, I actually have one for the couch) so it just seemed easier to us to toss the dirty ones, rather than risk breaking the washing machine again (which costs a lot more than $20 to repair).

The dogs' pajamas and coats still have to be washed because they're more expensive/difficult to replace so the aim was to at least cut down on the amount of dog stuff that goes in the wash every week. We stopped buying actual dog beds entirely as they're just awful to keep clean enough, you can only fit one greyhound-sized bed in a load (which is a massive waste of water) and then they take days to dry, assuming you get decent weather.

Ideally, it'd be a cheap washing machine just for dog stuff but there's just zero room in our laundry for anything else (and having it in the garage would require having the plumbing put in) so for the moment, buying new ones is the best option.

I throw mine out too.I get all my greyhounds blankets from the local Op Shops.Really nice pure wool blankets at a bargain price(and your making a donation as well)As my two have turned my backyard into a muddy racetrack I would be washing every five minutes!I do have a problem with static electricity in their polar fleece pj's.Does anyone know how to stop this as the poor things are getting zapped.

I get that problem too. I accidentally zapped Kiff right on the end of his nose after pulling his pajamas off, the poor thing avoided me for a few days after that :o

I think (don't quote me on this one) fabric softener can help cut the static. And obviously air drying them, rather than just tossing them in the dryer helps too.

If I threw them out, I'd be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year on blankets given how often I wash them.

We spend about $60 a month replacing blankets, the greyhounds tend to keep their bedding quite clean, provided there's no way they can drag it around (I cut a notch in one corner and tie it in place to stop them taking their blankets out for walks). It's not ideal but after the last laundry flooding (that took more than 15 towels to soak up), the idea of washing them is not appealing :p

Front loader for us, front loader for the dogs the dog one gets used most.

We had a boarding kennels in the Yarra Valley for 10 years and got through 3 big top loaders mind you

they worked hard especially at Christmas.

I'm actually really glad someone posted this thread because washing dog blankets is a huge problem for me here. My mum has this thing where the washing machine is for human things, the fridge is for human food etc. and our local Laundromats don't allow pet things to be washed in them.

It's been interesting to read that people haven't had any problems with dog hair but that most of you seem to prefer top loaders. We've got a Bosch front loader here (apparently front loaders are supposed to be better for skin allergies?) but I'd never dare risking mum's wrath by washing dog blankets in it!

Does soaking the blankets work well enough to wash them and if so, which washing powders would be best to use? I've used eucalyptus wool wash in the past but would this kill germs/bacteria/dust mites etc?

Other than that, I'm just frequently buying new dog blankets but Zeus also gets a mix of our old blankets too. He's currently got our old mattress protecters (mum's just recently discovered fitted ones!!) and some cheap fleece blankets I buy from either K-Mart or Top Dollar. I don't mind buying blankets but I'm just now thinking about how I'm going to wash his new dog bed.

I have an 8kg top loader.

It's one of those ones without the bar in the center and a lint trap at the top.

I use single bed doonas cut in half for my dogs and it washes them fine. I only have to replace the beds if they get torn, rarely because they are too dirty.

Glad to help :) oh and the fabric softener and not putting them in the dryer helps as well as someone else suggested :)

Yes Hardys Angel so I will put the fab soft in next time,don't have a dryer so have to line dry.Luckily they have a very extensive wardrobe(step away from ebay :laugh: )Between the two of you problem solved!Thank you both :)