Washing Dog Blankets

SarasMum

I hate washing the dog blankets. The german shepherd loses so much fur and the blankies are covered in it.

Do you use your normal everyday washing machine? Top or front loader? What do you do afterwards to clean the poor old thing out?

I have a fairly new front loader and I dont want to kill it by washing the blankets in there and bunging the thing up. Is it doable? They are mainly polar fleece ones.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wash their blankies first (polar fleece as well), then their towels, then our sheets, then our towels, then our clothes. Everything is put in the dryer after washing (load by load). I find that the hair is usually gone from the washing machine after the dog towel load and it doesnt really stick to our sheets, so by the time I go to do human clothes there isnt any dog hair in the washing machine.

PS - I have a top loader.

PPS - My dogs have short hair, but lots of it :)

I have 2 small dogs. So I just soak their bedding in a large bucket of hot water with eucalyptus wash. Then put on the line to dry in the fresh air. I don't use the washing machine at all.

BUT I might have to change that, if I owned larger dogs with bulkier bedding. Then, I'd be tempted to buy a second-hand twin tub as indigirl did.

Edited by mita

Old horse rug washing trick: Soak the blankets overnight in a solution of water with a good dash of vinegar, THEN wash.

Some commerical laundries have special machines for horse and dog stuff - might be worth looking around.

I use the normal washing machine, we also have GSDs and lots of hair. After a dog load, I let the washing machine dry out and then I vaccuum it and the next load is people towels or sheets. Clothes get washed after that and everything goes into the drier. I dont have much of a problem with residual hair on clothes that way.

+1 . . . but I'm not cosmetically inclined and don't give a hoot if there's dog hair on my clothes.

I just wash mine in the washing machine.

I also wash light horse rugs in there too.

I give it a quick rinse and spin and it's back to normal.

I use a large top loader.

I wash mine every few days in the washing machine. Until sometime today, I have been using a front loader. The front loader simply does not deal with the amount of hair and it gets clogged. I am reverting back to a top loader which is being delivered today. I then, more often than not, use the dryer as this removes a good deal of the dog hair from them.

I am not doing much for the environment I know :o but the dogs beds and blankets are clean and I have far less dog hair to contend with!

I run my machine, with just vinegar and no clothes in it, to clean it after doing a few loads of dog things.

We have a sheltie and her dog blankets and towels go into our frontloader each weekend. Usually after our people washes are done. It's been 3 years and no problems yet. I keep meaning to check the outlet hose/filter just in case but haven't done it yet!

Edited by kasoo

We have a bosch front loader here at work and it doesn't miss a beat, considering it is always dog hair blankets that we wash in it.

When using the top loader at home I just wipe it out afterward.

Really the best thing is tumble drying them each time - probably most economical to wash at home and take them all to the laundromat to tumble dry. You'll get at least 50% of the hair out that way.

We have a sheltie and her dog blankets and towels go into our frontloader each weekend. Usually after our people washes are done. It's been 3 years and no problems yet. I keep meaning to check the outlet hose/filter just in case but haven't done it yet!

I wish mine worked like that. It is 4 years old and I am already replacing it! I wished I had never decided on a front loader. I assumed it was because of the hair, but perhaps it is just the brand or a dud machine??? Either way, I am getting my new one installed today so I don't care. :dancingelephant:

I peg the dogs blankets, mat covers on the line and beat the cr#* out of them before I put them in the machine -a front loader.

Just make sure there is no human washing on the line first :D

I currently have a litter of 9 puppies..so my 9.5 kg top loader washing machine is getting a bit of a work out at the moment, with washing the vet bed & puppy blankets.

After each wash I usually have a bit of fluff from the vet bed & a little bit of hair, which I just wipe out before using it again.I am also putting some Dettol laundry sanitising rinse into the rinse cycle to keep everything hygienic. :)

I keep meaning to having a look into getting a 2nd hand washing machine for all the dog stuff..but never seem to get round to doing it. :laugh:

I battle with this all the time. I wash human stuff first then wash dog stuff then wipe out and rinse front loader. I do find that a long soak does really lift a lot of the hair and helps a lot. - will try the vinegar trick. Currently am final rinsing with eucalyptus wash.

This might be off topic and not helpful at all but I vacuum the sheet that covers their dog beds (and blankets) and THEN put them in the wash? Although... there are still a few stubborn hairs on there!!