Do You Ever Wonder Why

KOE

Do you ever sit here at the computer screen reading either a thread on here, or on lots of different places why people get animals then return overseas without them.

I always wonder to myself why dont they take them, I realise a lot do but there is the other percentage that dont.

Is it that they come here for whatever reason then get an animal for company then need to find somewhere for them when returning home.

I suppose I will still be sitting here years from now wondering the exact same thing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I have foster carers that look after rescues for me and they have adopted a dog and cat whilst waiting for their visa to be approved. If they don't get their visa approved they have 28 days to pack up and leave. They have already had their pets vaccinated and money put aside to take their pets back overseas with them.

It's often an excuse. They don't want the dog any more but know that is a socially unacceptable excuse.

This. Having a baby is the other big one, I know heaps of people who have successfully managed having a baby in a household with dogs but very few people will question someone who says they got rid of a dog because of the baby.

Agree with you SkySoaringMagpie. When I was pregnant with my first my GSD was 3 yrs old and I still can't believe the number of people that assumed I would re-home him.

It's often an excuse. They don't want the dog any more but know that is a socially unacceptable excuse.

I can tell you it certainly wasn't an excuse for me, it was one of the hardest and most heartbreaking decisions in my life :cry: We moved here last year from the UK where we were happily living in an old farmhouse surrounded by loads of space and 4 very happy dogs and 3 contented cats. Out of the blue my OH was offered a position in Perth and we thought long and hard about it and nearly didn't come due to the animals. In the end we brought 2 dogs and 1 cat with us, but made sure the others were all found excellent homes, including a 1000 mile round trip to take the cats to their new home.

We still cry about them now but know they are happy and settled in their new homes. When we return to the UK, the current gang will all be coming with us.

It's a very costly thing to do taking animals overseas, especially if they have to go through quarantine, and some families can probably just not afford it. It's easy to say they shouldn't have got the animal in the first place, but they may not have known they would have to go back.

So just saying that not everyone who re-homes their animals due to a move simply don't care enough about them......

It's a very costly thing to do taking animals overseas, especially if they have to go through quarantine, and some families can probably just not afford it. It's easy to say they shouldn't have got the animal in the first place, but they may not have known they would have to go back.

It is very costly but if you do make the move its going to cost you a lot anyway so why not pay that bit extra for your animals? It cost us about 10.000 AUD to bring over our 3 dogs and 3 cats when we came here but so well worth it! I know a lot of people that dont bring the animal because "its not fair to put the animal through the long flight or quarantine" etc but unless your animal is pretty sick its no excuse. And if the animal would be to sick to make the trip you simply wait. I wouldnt have come over myself if I wouldnt have been able to bring my animals. We had to say goodbye to 2 sheep, 2 goats and lots of chooks already which was hard enough.

When we were kids, we lived in PNG - and we had to leave our dog behind when we came back to Australia. She had had Distemper when she was 6 months old, and the cost and length of time she would have had to be in quarantine was financially prohibitive. We found her a lovely family who would send us cards on her birthday and at Christmas with updates as to how she was doing - right up until she passed away.

T.

There is nothing wring with responsibly rehoming a pet- crazy crestie did that. For a lot of people $10,000 per animal is not "a bit extra".

We have two inside dogs (french bulldogs) and everyone was stunned that we weren't planning on making them outside dogs when our son was born. I said that the dogs were here first and that their breeders would be horrified if I made them outside dogs.

We took our menagerie (1 dog & the kid's 2 cats) to NZ & back. Granted, that's not as expensive as crossing the world & quarantine requirements were easy, but still the equivalent of another couple of tickets. Wouldn't even have considered the move if they weren't coming.

Have never had a problem when renting either. I would get the list of local agents, sit down & ring though the list telling them what we had & what we wanted. Always found someone who was prepared to allow inside animals. Was handy that after the first time we had a good pet reference.

When I was doing short term contract work o'seas, had a lovely reliable couple who would come to house sit for the few weeks/months each time. They brought their cat to keep our cat company. Worked well.

As an aside, I think some people don't take enough note of that bumper sticker - 'A puppy is for life, not just for Christmas'. 10-15 years is a long commitment & life can change so much in that period, not always as you'd wish.

It is very costly but if you do make the move its going to cost you a lot anyway so why not pay that bit extra for your animals? It cost us about 10.000 AUD to bring over our 3 dogs and 3 cats when we came here but so well worth it! I know a lot of people that dont bring the animal because "its not fair to put the animal through the long flight or quarantine" etc but unless your animal is pretty sick its no excuse. And if the animal would be to sick to make the trip you simply wait. I wouldnt have come over myself if I wouldnt have been able to bring my animals. We had to say goodbye to 2 sheep, 2 goats and lots of chooks already which was hard enough.

Happy for you that $10,000 is just a bit. For some it is a fortune.

For some animals the quarantine would be unbearable. If people make choices in the best interests of their family and their animals then we should be supporting them not laying guilt trips.

Not everyone has the same journey through life.

Best to responsibly rehome than dump on the RSPCA or elsewhere. I am taking mine back to NZ in four weeks. It will be a bit of a juggle to start as I start a new job where my Ruby isnt allowed to work and a pup and a cat. We will manage somehow. I wont have any furniture but I have purchased a large dog pen thats waiting over there for me.

I came here 12 years ago, and left my 2 behind aswell.

One dog was very old and on daily meds for incontenance, he was a rescue i had had since he was 12 weeks old, the rescue would have taken him back, but they said in reality he wouldn't get a home, and it was kinder to give him his wings, it was the hardest thing we did.

My other dog was an ageing BT, who my neighbour and good friend adored, and often took out for the day with him, he asked if he could have her, and she lived another 18 months before her health got the better of her. :(

I didn't have the money to bring them over, and secondly my vet said neither were well enough for him to sign the papers to let them travel that far.

There is nothing wring with responsibly rehoming a pet- crazy crestie did that. For a lot of people $10,000 per animal is not "a bit extra".

That was not per animal that was the total :)

We went to work overseas many years ago and in the first month there we found an extremely emaciated dog who we took in and looked after. At the end of 4 years when we returned here he came with us. It was VERY expensive to bring him back but I remember the conversation my husband and I had when we first took him in to live with us, I told him that if he was our dog then he was coming back to Australia with us no matter the cost. We saved the whole time we were away so he could come back with us. I always say he was the most expensive 'free' dog we ever had !

One of our adopters is moving to the UK in July - his elderly mother needs help, and you know how it is - these decisions need to be made.

They rang me a couple of weeks ago - "of course we're taking him - he's part of our family".

So due to their need to go quickly and the hoopla with rabies blah blah, they had two options - kennel the dog here for 2 months before he travels ot have him in quarantine over there for 2 months on arrival.

We all chose option 3 - he is coming to stay here for the two month before he can travel - an arrival they can pick hum up and take him stright home.

:thumbsup: to greyt adopters

Do you ever sit here at the computer screen reading either a thread on here, or on lots of different places why people get animals then return overseas without them.

I always wonder to myself why dont they take them, I realise a lot do but there is the other percentage that dont.

Is it that they come here for whatever reason then get an animal for company then need to find somewhere for them when returning home.

I suppose I will still be sitting here years from now wondering the exact same thing.

Yes. Spoke to an international student at uni last week. Keen on getting a dog and very excited about the pictures of poodle puppies (but only those in a teddy trim). Keen to get a dog, lonely student life without extended family present, but no thought at all as to what would happen to the dog when the studies were over.

I encouraged her not to buy a dog, and spoke to her about all of the opportunities to travel and live abroad she would miss if she had a dog to consider.

Edited by Greytmate

anniek that certainly sounds the best for the grey so glad they are taking him with them.

Really hard for people when they move overseas - have known a lot that did it (going out is easier than in as you can generally just pick them up from the airport and take them home with you) and all worked well and some that did it with not the outcomes anyone would have wished for them or their animals and some that just couldn't after they realised there dog would be in quarantine for a long time. Rehoming to a wonderful home is not the worst thing and is not always the second best option, sometimes it is the best option for the dog/cat even if it isn't for the owner and we have to realise that too.

Personally we would have trouble moving o/s, or just going on hols for that matter, as we have quite a few companion animals that are all part of our family.

Edited by Mags