Confused As To What This Means

Lhok

Hi

I've been doing some research lately into looking at breeders and sometimes in their ads they have CF registered breeder and no more information after that. Does someone have an idea as to what CF means?

Thanks

--Lhok

Helping a family member doing some research on Dachshunds and several of the breeders they have linked me came from Facebook and a couple from Gumtree. I have already told them about the various kennel clubs and Dogzonline to help them find a breeder. Another thing is that they are getting confused about just how much money they will need to save up for I believe they are looking for a standard long coat but I have no other information other then that and I'm not very knowledgable about Dachshunds either.

I've also been burned a couple of times by various people in helping them look for a dog too so I'm more then wary about all this.

--Lhok

First of all, Gumtree is probably the worst place to look for a puppy. Most reputable breeders don't advertise there.

There is a litter of long hairs at Dubbo listed here on DOL, so if you are looking in NSW, maybe start with them. Standards are a less common than minis so they may have a wait if there aren't any available now. No idea of price for a Dachy.

Best idea though is if someone on here with a lot of experience in the breed can make a personal recommendation, privately. Also try the Dachy breed thread.

First of all, Gumtree is probably the worst place to look for a puppy. Most reputable breeders don't advertise there.

Ummmmmmm......the OP's post is precisely why reputable breeders SHOULD be advertising on Gumtree!! I do and I certainly don't class myself as disreputable. How are people going to find GOOD breeders if the good breeders don't advertise EVERYWHERE??

I've always said that the BYBers and shonks will win if the good breeders don't get out there and rub shoulders with them and give the puppy buyers a CHOICE!

Obviously if the only breeders a prospective purchaser can find when they go looking are the less than reputable ones, then that is where they will purchase their puppies.

It's all about education and getting the word out there and that means going where Joe Q will be looking!

I intend to advertise there, already got a listing on the Trading Post. Nothing wrong with advertising there or anywhere else. It's how you vet the potenial buyers that counts not where the came from.

I intend to advertise there, already got a listing on the Trading Post. Nothing wrong with advertising there or anywhere else. It's how you vet the potenial buyers that counts not where the came from.

As a kid, my family got our purebred registered dogs from ads in the paper.

Ummmmmmm......the OP's post is precisely why reputable breeders SHOULD be advertising on Gumtree!! I do and I certainly don't class myself as disreputable. How are people going to find GOOD breeders if the good breeders don't advertise EVERYWHERE??

I've always said that the BYBers and shonks will win if the good breeders don't get out there and rub shoulders with them and give the puppy buyers a CHOICE!

Obviously if the only breeders a prospective purchaser can find when they go looking are the less than reputable ones, then that is where they will purchase their puppies.

It's all about education and getting the word out there and that means going where Joe Q will be looking!

This post makes an awful lot of sense - I know most joe bloggs will just hit up those sites and will probably not have looked on sites like DOL. I know people should be better educated if they are planning on buying a pup but wouldn't it be better that what they do buy is a healthy pup.

This is the post I put in page 2 of the current pet shop topic but it seems to be relevant here. I haven't been able to get the link working so have just copied and pasted it. I think its really important that breeders become pro-active with advertising and marketing.

It strikes me that registered ANKC breeders are terrible marketers! . Many of my clients have purchased pet shop puppies and the most recent was a baby shih tzu x something. It was supposed to be 7 weeks but I reckon it would be lucky to be 6 weeks old

Now these people are nice, average, well educated people who are not short of a dollar and wanted to get a friend for their other pet shop girl who is now around 4 years old. I asked them why they bought their puppy from a pet shop rather than a breeder and their response is fairly typical to what you get from Joe and Jane Public.

"We don't want to show so we didn't go to a show dog breeder" We don't want to do competition stuff so we didn't go to that sort of breeder either" We just wanted a nice pet so we went to a pet shop...why wouldn't you?, after all, look at 'Fluffy' she was from a pet shop and she's been a great dog"

Many, many people want a small, fluffy dog and the Maltese/Shitzu (deliberate sp ) fits the bill and thats what they see every time they go past the pet shop at the shopping center. Of course there is the impulse buy which is what they depend on and exactly what good breeders don't want to foster.

The problem is many fold.

A biggie is that people are simply unaware that there is a difference between being registered with a State and National Kennel Club and the code of ethics that go with that, and a backyard breeder and some may even see breeders as puppy farmers.

What is the incentive to go buy a puppy from a registered breeder??? Bear in mind that Mr and Mrs Public have been told ad infinitum by the gardener, along with some vets and the media that pure breeds are full of health problems and cross breeds don't have these health problems.

Its all very well to sit back and say people are stupid and this type of forum is preaching to the converted but is there a solution? I believe there is and I think it needs to be in the form of education. We need to be mindful of what most people want and to try to use the media to make them aware of the advantages of buying a pure breed from a registered breeder.

BTW I am not a breeder but have a great respect for those that are.

Totally agree with you, Ellz - when I have a litter I advertise on ALL the online sites, as well as the local papers and the Trading Post. As you say, if the Registered breeders don't advertise there then the general public is only left with BYBs

I know this is off the original topic, but I also agree that registered breeders advertising in the trading post/ local paper/ gumtree is a fantastic idea.

To someone scrolling through the ads,they will be able to see how good of a deal they get buying from a registered breeders. The word has to get out there somehow

GOod luck with your search Lhok.

Have you looked at the breed clubs?

Here's the NSW Dachie club

http://www.dachshundclub.org.au/

There's a puppy list and also a list of contactable breeders who are members. Including 7 who are listed as breeding the standard long haired.

Worth a look if you hadn't already :D

I found what the OP is talking about.....the CF registered breeder. And it doesn't mean anything......it's a quote from the breeder:

'EVERY GIRL NEEDS A HANDSOME DARLING!' - CF

Registered Breeder of Miniature (Smooth Haired) Dachshunds

The CF is who the quote is attributed to, not a prefix for the "registered breeder".

I found what the OP is talking about.....the CF registered breeder. And it doesn't mean anything......it's a quote from the breeder:

'EVERY GIRL NEEDS A HANDSOME DARLING!' - CF

Registered Breeder of Miniature (Smooth Haired) Dachshunds

The CF is who the quote is attributed to, not a prefix for the "registered breeder".

Yay! I was curious too.

Off Topic (sort of) We got our first purebred, registered Cocker through an ad in the paper. First place we looked.

I'll have to talk to my family member, as they said they wanted a long coat standard. But the quote you found Gaylek comes from a mini smooth breeder.

Thanks for finding it out though.

I really should just give up trying to help people though as they change their minds quicker then they change their undies it seems!

--Lhok

In the past I have owned a number of purebred dogs but the three most recent dogs have been rescued. After loosing our much loved Toby - a Golden Retriever some 10 weeks ago we initially considered getting another rescue dog. As Toby was such a hard act to follow and we could not find a rescue pet that ticked all the boxes (emotionally and otherwise) my wife suggested another specific retriever breed.

I am fully aware of some of the health issues that purebred dogs have encountered over the years. I have witnessed neighbours and other dog owners in the area loose out emotionally and financially due to them purchasing an animal with major medical issues. I was very encouraged to observe that joints / hips are now accessed as well as the eyes being checked. Whilst searching for an animal I looked in a number of places. I certainly did not wish to deal with a puppy farm or a pet shop for obvious reasons. I did view adverts in the Trading Post and other Internet sites but I did not have confidence in the quality of dogs being put up for sale and discounted these sites.

I eventually stumbled upon this site which is dedicated to purebreds. I certainly understand that buying a dog that is advertised on this site is no guarantee of quality. I also feel that if you do your research, ensure that the dog and bitch have been thoroughly tested, purchase an animal that shows varied breeding lines with good show success historically and has been bred by a long term breeder you are on the right track.

We now have to wait another 4 long weeks until I can collect out puppies.

I'll have to talk to my family member, as they said they wanted a long coat standard. But the quote you found Gaylek comes from a mini smooth breeder.

Thanks for finding it out though.

I really should just give up trying to help people though as they change their minds quicker then they change their undies it seems!

--Lhok

If they did a search for dachsund breeder, that term would have come up on that particualr websites link.