Dog(s) Ate Dark Chocolate

Staycalm

Before I write anything I want to stress that we have rung the vet...

One of the dogs has pinched the remainder of a 200g block of dark chocolate (about 2/3s of the block) from my bedside table and munched into it, possibly while I was picking my daughter up from school. There is a chance he/they started eating it while I was home for an hour after work, before I left, as after I got changed I didn't go back into the bedroom and I think I would have noticed. I think the window of opportunity is from 1.30 to 4pm.

Alfie is 9 years old, 10kg and definitely smells of chocolate. Gracie is about 3 and weighs 26kg. She seems to smell slightly of chocolate.

The vet has said to keep an eye on Alfie for vomiting and for signs of being unwell. At the moment he seems quite normal. If anything starts to change we will take him in.

Anyone had this happen? What was the outcome?

Loki in his lifetime has eaten an entire box of Tia Maria Chocolates, 2 packets of Tim Tams, a block of Old Jamaica, half a block of Marble, half a chocolate cake and 6 easter eggs... all by him being a sneaky sh*t, and nothing has EVER happened to him. Not that I am saying nothing could or would happen, and I would still never GIVE a dog chocolate, but it isnt always bad news.

Fingers crossed they are both ok :)

The darker the chocolate the more cocoa and teh more theobromine . Milk choc easter eggs/choc biscuits etc are thing layers of usually poor quality.. not much chemical in there to hurt a dog....

Definitely keep an eye open .. hope they are both OK.

My girl has climbed a bookshelf for chocolate... who would have thought it wasn't safe up that high?? She has been fine no matter what sort of chocolate she has had (amongst which she has stolen cadbury favourites, choc covered coffee beans, and a flatmate left out a massive block of dark forest once - I think she may have been annoyed I didn't replace it although I was more annoyed she left it out despite knowing not to leave food out, especially chocolate!). I think it is the lactose content that is the worst bit? I don't know about the actual chocolate content (although no doubt it is probably not good for them).

From Dogs and chocolate

Why is Chocolate so Poisonous?

Chocolate contains a natural occurring stimulant called theobromine found in the cocoa bean plant Theobroma cocoa, the bean that makes chocolate. Theobromine is the poison as it affects the central nervous system, as well as the heart of the dog, throwing their system into panic which often manifests in the form of epileptic seizures.

About 6 months ago my girl, who is about 25 KG, ate amlost 2 family blocks of milk chocolate.

I called the vet, and based on the amount she ate they advised us to bring her in. They made her vomit and gave her some charcole (I think) and kept over over.

The problem you have is you would not know how much eat ate. I would definetly keep a close eye on Alfie.

About 6 months ago my girl, who is about 25 KG, ate amlost 2 family blocks of milk chocolate.

I called the vet, and based on the amount she ate they advised us to bring her in. They made her vomit and gave her some charcole (I think) and kept over over.

The problem you have is you would not know how much eat ate. I would definetly keep a close eye on Alfie.

Yeah I must admit I'm a bit worried. I may have to take them to the vet just for my own peace of mind...

It really depends on the dog. My 15kg Sibe would be at the vets quick smart if she ate that much chocolate, but she gets horribly sick from a small chocolate muffin which has hardly any real chocolate in it (a few choc chips) and has a bad belly in general. Our old Vizsla used to pinch chocolate all the time and unwrap Easter eggs and never had an issue in her life.

chocolate toxicity calculator

Just did a quick calculation on this (put in 150g of dark choc for the 10kg dog) and it says severe toxicity- I would be at the vets if I were you.

ETA= the 26kg dog should be ok, but i would be worried about the 10kg dog.

my 25kg dog has eaten a whole block with no harm done to her.

Edited by aussielover

According to my Emergency Med notes, a 10kg dog would have to eat 200-400g of dark chocolate to result in serious illness/death. Obviously though not all dogs follow this rule and some can be more sensitive than others. It would be too late for them to have an emetic, but if you were really worried you could insist they keep them in for obs just in case.

I came home the other day to find two chewed up packets of dark choc licorice bullets. I called the vet and was told to bring my two in (25 & 30 kg).

Both were vomit induced. I was surprised to see the less naughty, less food obsessed dog had eaten 80-90% of the packets.

I was beside myself when I found the packets. Best $100 I spent for peace of mind.

When my dog recently ate some dark chocolate, about 150g, it was too late when discovered to induce vomiting (over two hours). The vet (who I had just seen for another matter 1 hour before!) advised to watch carefully and get her to drink as much as she could to get it through her system. Gave her lots of fresh chicken stock, lots of big wees but all ok otherwise.

ETA my girl is around 16 kilos

Edited by Jigsaw

We are back from the vet. He had a good look at the two of them and is happy they aren't showing any signs of being affected by toxicity. He things that the larger dog is more likely to have eaten the bulk of it as Alfie might have been showing signs by now.

He's advised me to feed them as normal so that the foil they might have ingested will hopefully move through their gut ok. He's just got me checking their gums periodically and to look for signs of excessive vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Hopefully my heart rate and stress levels can come down now... :(

Both the dogs have pulled up fine this morning. No vomiting or diarrhea :thumbsup:

Still, never going to give them opportunity to get their greedy jaws on any more chocolate again, so I hope they enjoyed themselves this last time!!