Rally-o

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Sniffalot, I have downloaded the rule book but there is also going to be a DVD on how to do the individual stations , can't remember the name of the DOLer but it is not far back.

I can pm you their DOL name if you like.

My club is supportive but ahs no idea so it is up to me to get it happening. Resources like the DVD will be invaluable

That would be great if you could PM me their DOL name :D

Becks - it is lots of fun - for handlers and dogs. And when you know the stations, it's not too complicated. In Novice the dogs are on lead - and you can talk to them and pat them in the ring. You can also retry a station (at the cost of 3 points) if you or the dog have mucked it. You can do that up to twice in a course.

Rory and I had our first go at Advanced (off lead) in a mock trial today - happy to say we passed with 93 - which includied a retry on the moving down, since the lil big man decided that obedience downs were optional extras :laugh: . The mock trial was in the lunch break of an obedience trial - so they just had an Advanced course out, and Novice people could do it on lead.

Were you talking to her very much??? I was hard to tell

Yes I was chatting to her most of the way round, but not being overly silly about it. Just a few encouraging words. I was told that I need to talk to her, my reply was "I was!" ;) She knew I was talking to her, she was happy and waggy :)

She was certainly happy and waggy, RS - lovely. I think we formal obedience people do sometimes forget to talk to our dogs in Rally - although I find I get better with practice - and depending on the station. I had to do a lot of talking and gesturing yesterday to get the lil big man round the offset figure 8 exercise with TOYS as the distractors - it wasn't very pretty, but he did resist the temptation :rofl: .

Roll on January!

I also think with Rally I don't WANT to get in the habit of chitter chattering the whole way round. Then we'll get to obedience and she will wonder why she's all on her own! A few encouraging words and good girls and slight gestures for stations when she needs them is all I will give. I will give extra help when needed but if she's doing fine and is happy, I personally want to keep it all to a minimum :)

I agree with that RS.

Also I used the happy happy chitty chatter to get mine reved up. Not really what I am after in Rally.

So I think the odd encouragement or good dog will be good.

Although if there were I-squeaks or Cuz balls as a distraction then I think I would be in full steam ahead chatter to keep their attention!!

:rofl: OSS - they were those long rubber chicken sort of things yesterday - well, one rubber, and one soft toy - and Rory is such a toy boy - but yes, I agree with you - I tend not to do much talk unless I really need to. The dogs do seem to get the difference though - Rory did nice work (well, nice for Rory - not up to WA standards ;) )- in the Novice ob ring in the afternoon after the Rally - although his moving down was still a bit MIA. I think it's like other discipline mixes - the dogs 'get' the difference from the context.

hahahaha we can't all be geniuses!!! although I try. I often say my dog in handler inpaired!!!

Oh well rubber chickens wouldn't have been too bad he has never seen one of them.

I think it will be fun :) Going to start up training down here soon :)

Some clubs are starting to teach rally now and run mock trials, ready for the official start in January 2012. Don't know where you're located, but PM me if you like and I might be able to steer you towards a club. The rules are with the obedience rules on the ANKC website - but you really need to work with someone who can give you some pointers on how to perform the stations correctly, if you possibly can. And our rules are based on Canadian not American AKC rules.

just want to say congratulations Angelsun for all your hard work, you are a special lady who has worked so very hard for Rally O. Just read the new rules on the website and am absolutely delighted that verbal praise and pats are to be encouraged and not penalised.I have had some real concerns about this and dipped out of meetings. Well done Ms Angelsun..you are a star :cheer::clap::cheer:

Can anyone tell me if there is an RALLY O, AUSTRALIAN, DVD available for sale and if so, where to purchase it

I can not download videos or youtube clips on my current computer so I interested in buying a DVD that I can watch at home

I have official Rally signs, from USA, Australia and Canada

From my perceptual point of view, the signs are identical from all 3 countries The reference numbers for the signs are different

As a professional dog trainer and competitor in numerous dog sports, I am enthusiastic and eager to learn more and to get involved in rally myself as well as to offer lessons

I still need to claify some things

1-which signs people find most difficult to train and why

2-what are the methods people are finding most effective for training for the difficult signs

3-where does one begin to perform the exercise. Some signs seem to dicate starting a few paces BEFORE the sign,

What is the point of view on where to start