Small, Bold And Active Breeds?

corvus

I'm a bit shy of lap dogs, though. I HATE having them expect to sit on me

ANY dog can (or desire to be) be a lap dog as you describe- same as any dog can be trained to NOT jump up/sit on people. Oh - people can also be trained to not pick up dogs /let them jump up . ;)

Dogs only 'expect' to sit one someone if they have been previously allowed to .

Poodles do want to be with you. You'll never go to the toilet alone again.

However they don't have to be ON you. As long as they can be close by most are happy.

And yes, the chestnut colour is called red. Personally I like the blacks, browns and whites. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you seen Millie in the new ABC show Kingdom, with Stephen Fry. I reckon she'd be perfect, not sure what she is though, some type of terrier I suppose.

Parson Russell I think - she's gorgeous!

I like poodles too. :D

I'll throw in Lakeland terriers.. definitely small, bold and active :thumbsup: Lovely dogs, try meeting some at shows, they are adorable...they come in red and also with a black back. I had reds..

Adult weight should be around 7kgs. They are terrific all rounders and mine lived very happily and well with chooks, sheep, kids from newborns to adults and many cats. :) I have nothing negative at all to say about them. Wonderful breed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OHs cousin has tenties and they win at endurance titles, agility, tracking etc. Little champions!! Keep up for 20ks no problem at all, but they are kept fit!

have you seen Millie in the new ABC show Kingdom, with Stephen Fry. I reckon she'd be perfect, not sure what she is though, some type of terrier I suppose.

Parson Russell I think - she's gorgeous!

she's lovely isn't she, and plenty of leg for Corvus' requirements.

she's lovely isn't she, and plenty of leg for Corvus' requirements.

Erik seems to have plenty of leg for Corvus' requirements! He thinks he's built for any terrain. He might not look it, but he's actually very agile and never seems to get tired. He can cope with most things the environment can throw at him, including swift river crossings. I'm glad, because I'm usually too busy watching my own feet to be carrying him as well. If we have to lift him down a drop we generally have to lift Kivi as well. Valls are a freaking awesome small, bold and active breed. Just closer to medium in weight than small. Something as tough and agile as him but half the size would be about right. As long as I don't have to teach it not to sit on my lap the second it becomes available. I gave up trying to teach Alex the MinPin. He was very persistent about it. It makes me short-tempered.

• 4 months later...

I would say English toy terrier, my ETT will go all day and is much fitter and more agile/nimble than my staffy x's. We go for small hikes but while going for daily walks I throw ball with a ball thrower while walking and the ETT will chase that for an hour without even panting. He also competes in agility all day without a single pant whereas the other two get tired much easier even though they do the same amount of fitness work. He is also exceptionally flexible - once he jumped the apex of an aframe in agility with too much speed, overbalanced and did 3 somersaults down the other side :eek: I expected him to be all hurt and scared but he jumped right up and kept running without looking back, finishing the course with ease. Then next time he did an aframe there was no sign of fear or caution at all. I really think an ETT would suit your situation. And they are very tough dogs for a little dog, not lap dogs unless you let them be/ask them to be. :)

Another vote for the Schipperke. It ticks all your boxes. The females are around 5kg, they're a Spitz breed with similar independence, just more biddability. Mine does not want to cuddle often, runs all day, it a bloody mountain goat on rough terrain, can jump great heights, has a wash and wear coat, doesn't run off, fearless, bold and extremely intelligent. Oh, and they're damned cute! :thumbsup:

If your not that into terriers, Mini Dachshunds are pretty tough little buggers, or if you keep it clipped, a well bred Maltese might work. Otherwise Papillon. Our Chihuahuas have all been very sturdy fit little guys but 9kms might be a tad far, They could easily handle 4 or 5 in good weather.

If I had to choose for me, a Border Terrier.

Edited by Arcane

what about a cavalier king charles spaniel? we have 3 and they love hiking and the beach! (i know traditionally there a lap dog, but they are honestly more a spaniel than anything - including bird attraction, etc) they can weigh up to 8 kgs according to the standard, but are a sturdy, bold, brave and faithful breed, that are wash and wear!

Papillons are known as the BC of the toy breeds :D

Was going to say one of my sister's papillons used to be a very active dog. He could have easily managed 9km hikes. The female was never very sporty and a bit too timid in large spaces to be a good hiking dog, but so small (like 2kg) that they could easily carry her. But the male used to accompany my sister's partner on his bike rides of over 10km and loved it.

They desexed their male at 2, unfortunately he no longer derives the same pleasure from exercise - Shaun goes bike riding alone now, the dog will follow him about 100m then turns and goes back home. He's almost 4 now, still a young dog so I'm not sure what happened there.

Guest donatella

My Pom is the energy kid, doesn't sit still, loves being outside. Their coat probably works against them though for long treks

A Min Pin would fit the bill exactly but you would have to be very careful and check the temperament, so many of them are getting nervy and skittish - not many "King of the Toys" around now.

Have you met any Border Terriers? they are a totally different temperament from most other terriers or they're supposed to be lol. Again research into the breeding would be necessary as some are getting too fiesty.