Small, Bold And Active Breeds?

corvus

Are there any really little breeds that are outgoing, confident, and can keep up on, say, a 9km hike with lots of obstacles like rocks and fallen trees to negotiate? Something around 5kg or less?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outgoing and confident I will vote for the griffon, mine loves everyone, i took him to my friend's where she has masses of dogs and he didn't bat an eyelid, just mingled in

active extremely - he keeps up with my coolie

up to a 9 km hike - well I'm kind of not the person to ask that :laugh: because I'm not up for a 9 km hike let alone the dog but he is a very active dog and I would see no reason why not

5kg is rather small, my Tentie is 6kg and he is not heavily built at all

What's wrong with JRT's :provoke::laugh:

I would say most small terriers would be able to manage the hiking if they were used to it, mine have a lot of energy. confidence is more of a specific dog/line thing I think...

I reckon you would find most small dog breeds would outdo a human at hiking over terrain any day..

Oh really? I find that unlikely, given the last hike we did my two medium-sized dogs struggled in parts merely because they have more legs to organise than we do and they don't have the long stride and height we do. They had to do a hell of a lot more jumping and scrambling than we did. I keep thinking, a smaller dog would have to take even more steps and jump even higher in proportion to their size. Although I guess they would be easier to just pick up wherever it gets difficult.

Corvus - most little dogs are pretty nimble, I have taken mine on bush walks and they have scaled loose slopes with no problem, the smaller one is quite like a mountain goat in that regard :laugh: he is about as tall as he is long though so has long springy legs :laugh: