Paranoia

My Shepherd boy is eight years old, and has arthritis but otherwise is in good health and shape after his last vet. check-up.

A friend lost her 9 year old Shepherd a few months ago, and I shared her misery and the trauma she went through, then the man across the road from me had an Akita female right from a pup. He had always owned German Shepherds, but decided to adopt an Akita instead, as his reasoning was that German Shepherds were becoming too inbred and weren't living to a good age any more. Ironically, and it's so sad, but his Akita contracted cancer and has just died at the age of 8 years.

I know I'm over-reacting, but I have become so protective and worried about my German Shepherd boy, and am so scared of losing him. I know it's probably a stupid reaction, but how do I stop worrying about him all the time? It's really getting me down.

Take a deep breath, relax and take one day at a time.

Enjoy each day with your dog fully, instead of worrying about him. You worrying about him over things that is useless and silly, you aren't going to fully appreciate what you have with him now. Not to mention, it's exhausting and emotionally draining...

They all leave us sooner or later. It always hurts, and it always leaves a great big hole in our hearts. And yet, we keep doing it to ourselves. Why is that? Obviously because they are worth the hurt. Without question. Ten times over, at least. There's no point living in constant fear of them leaving when it's inevitable and when it happens there will be nothing you can do to stop it. To me, we love with all our hearts and accept that it means we grieve with all our hearts when it comes to an end. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's life. If you can't let that fear go and just enjoy the time you have, then you need to get professional help of the human psychologist kind.

I lost my first Australian Shepherd just two weeks ago. He was 4, he went suddenly due to kidney failure. He was not "inbred"......in 7 generations of pedigree there were hardly any common dogs. There were no known health issues in his lines and as far as I've been able to find out, kidney disease is not a known health factor in Aussies.

When I look back over the past two years, I wonder if he'd had it and we didn't notice it. He wasn't an active dog, despite being very active as a pup, and he was a very slow eater. He always drank a fair bit of water, and he didn't appear to have a lot of stamina. We thought it was just him. Our other Aussie isn't active but she never has been.

Were there signs that we missed? I have no idea but Im over beating myself up about it. He was one dog I thought for sure I'd have til he was very old, he was from robust, healthy, long lived lines and there was no indication that we might lose him at such a young age.

I could get very paranoid about my other dogs but no one will enjoy that so I'm committed to giving them the best life possible for as long as I am lucky enough to have them. No matter how long they live, it's not going to be long enough so no point worrying that time away.

I know you're all absolutely right with your comments, and I certainly do appreciate the time I have with my dogs and want them to be as happy as possible while I have them. I think I've just felt other people's pain through losing their pets, and it brings back the sadness I've been through when I've lost my other dogs.

You're all so down to earth and sensible, and I do realise that what you are saying is right. I just needed a good kick up the bum to put me back on track.

I often worry over my almost 14 year old boy...

Logic tells me that he's getting on now and I can recognise that and what comes with it but my heart says he'll never leave (and I guess, in part, that's quite true).

He's happy, healthy (touchwood) and enjoys life and that's all I can hope for :)

Edited by Aziah

I think when their time comes it comes but til then we love and enjoy them there is not time for worry and stress.

My rotti died at age 8 HE was fine I had a baby 1 week later he took along time to get up and out for tea then the other dog attacked him. (never ever done this before)

next he had a fit and that was it he was sent up to the vets and he was put to sleep. looking back my hubby thinks he seen more signs than we noticed (got to love hine sight)

but it was heart breaking it took days for me to stop crying i could not go out the back for ages (even saying all this im welling up)

ok point of story IS.... you cant stop them from being taken from us all we can do is enjoy what time we have with them.

I'm reading between the lines and have come to the conclusion that your current boy is your "heart dog"... would that be correct?

If so - there will never be a "right" time for him to go to the Bridge to wait for you.

When he does have to leave you in this life, it will hurt, and your heart will break in a way it's never been broken before... however, his memory will still make your heart sing when you reminisce for the rest of your life - and that is a treasure our dogs leave with us even though their lives have been so short compared to ours.

Just enjoy each other's company while you are together - and if/when his time comes (preferably in a long time from now), deal with it at that time, OK?

T.

If you're stressing too much and you want to stop,

you've done all you can regards his care - and he's had a check up, and he's not showing any symptoms out of the ordinary - for him so you really have no reason to worry or even if you did there's nothing you could do about it because you've done everything you can.

Starting at that point, when the annoying thought pops into your head - you have to imagine putting it in a box and blowing it up, not having that thought, done with that thought, rip it to shreds.

There are times when I have to very carefully and dilligently not-think a particular thought - or I can't go scuba diving, or even for a drive in the car if I think about what might happen despite my best efforts.

I lost my shepherd earlier this year and like you I stressed about the arthritis he seemed to suffer with most of his life. Ironically just before we lost him we had commented on the fact that his arthritis had not really gotten any worse in the last couple of years and we might actually have him for a few more years. Sadly we lost him to something completely different (gastric torsion) which could have happened at any stage of his life.

I guess my point is your worrying isn't going to stop anything, but it is going to influence the time you do have with your beautiful boy. Just enjoy him - who knows, you just might have him for many many more years to come :)

I'm no help to you!! I stress badly over pets and kids...awful feeling. I've had to give up jobs from stressing over other people's children (and don't even start me on mine!!) and although I love animals I could never work with them..It's true worrying does not help at all, but I don'tknow how you are meant to stop doing it! :o

Hope you are OK.xxxxxxxxx

Edited by Monah

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have a friend whose GSD was a year older than mine. He was from a good breeder whereas mine is from the pound (I refer to Casper more than Bella as he has always been my troublesome dog health wise). When my friend's Shepherd died at the age of 8, I thought Casper's time was surely up. I fretted and cried thinking I was going to lose my boy when he turned 8. I took out pet health insurance and on his 8th birthday took him for a check-up even though he wasn't due for one. The vet checked him out and felt a small lump in his abdomen area. He wasn't sure what or where it was so told me to bring him back in a month by which time the lump had doubled in size. X-rays showed a growth so we opted for surgery and it turned out there was a big lump on his spleen. Had I not taken him for that check-up and had the vet not felt the lump, it would have surely ruptured and possibly killed him. 4 months later he had pancreatitis and we almost lost him again!

I have certainly shed some tears for my boy already but in 2 months he will be turning 10 and I am overjoyed that he is still with us. :thumbsup:

So, I am with you with the paranoia. It's easy to say "don't fret" but not so easy to do. We just love them with each passing day and enjoy having them around as long as we can!

Yes, you are very perceptive, and I appreciate you understanding what I was trying to say. So, thank you so much.

I'm reading between the lines and have come to the conclusion that your current boy is your "heart dog"... would that be correct?

If so - there will never be a "right" time for him to go to the Bridge to wait for you.

When he does have to leave you in this life, it will hurt, and your heart will break in a way it's never been broken before... however, his memory will still make your heart sing when you reminisce for the rest of your life - and that is a treasure our dogs leave with us even though their lives have been so short compared to ours.

Just enjoy each other's company while you are together - and if/when his time comes (preferably in a long time from now), deal with it at that time, OK?

T.

T.

I agree with all this. Plus, it's important to make every day of his life count. Just the same for humans, the best way to deal with the fact life will not go on forever, is to make it as good as possible.

So, share & enjoy, the special relationship you have with your dog.

I worry about Zero all the time - like you and your boy, he is my heart dog. He's just turned 7 and he's slowly going blind and deaf and has spondylosis. For now, I cherish him while I have him, take lots of photos of him and just try to make his life as fun as I can. One day, he won't be here and I know my heart will be broken but at the same time, I'll be able to look at all the ways he has made my life better, and how he's made me a better person and I know I'll be okay :)

we love our dogs, we treat our dogs like they are our family but sadly our dogs don't live as long as most people :(:cry::(

maybe we then shouldn't have dogs but how sad and empty our lives would be, missing out on the joys that our wonderful dogs bring us

so I enjoy each and every day that I have with my dogs, count my blessings and keep them healthy and happy. I have endured the heartache of losing three of my beloved dogs but their memory still lives on in my mind and I am glad that I did share my lives with them.