Cost Of Chosen Breed

jackofhearts

Hi, Just a question about the cost of buying a puppy .Just recently I had a discussion with a fellow breeder about the cost of a puppy.Breed in this instance was a JRT.Price range between different breeders $700 to $3000 :eek: Now I know that the price would depend upon bloodline etc. How does the cost of your breed differ.

I am interested to see how people come to the price range for their breed, puppies, co lease etc. I have only overseas stats, for my breed, but in my opinion a home that will promote the breed to its absolute advantage is a MUST have ( with a rare breed) I look forward to the answers.

J

:laugh: why would you pay $3000 for JRT

Afghans - $0 - $2500

Standard Poodles - $1000 - $2000 average $1500

Lowchens - $500+

Wait was that show price, pet price or average price...??? lol

Edited by Darkrai

My breed seems to be between 1500 and 2000 here, although in the states, they can go up to 3500 on breeders terms :eek:

I've been told to charge more because my breedings will be frozen implant for the next while...but I find that a bit hard to take, as it's not the pet owners fault that I have made the choice to do matings this way, why should they pay for it? I breed for me.

Pyrs seem to be between $1500 and $3000 (from a registered breeder). Interestingly the difference between the top and bottom isn't related at all to the quality of the bloodline or whether the sire and/or dam is imported or the product of frozen semen AI - the price is dictated purely by what the breeder decides they want to charge.

Edited by espinay2

Italian greyhounds sell from between $900 - $1200, and im told some breeders charge up to $1500 for blue pups!

My last litter was sold for $900 each, inc several 'rare blue' pups lol. My next litter I will prolly sell for $1000 inc desexing.

Golden retrievers generally cost between $1000 - $1200.

Toy Poodles vary a lot. Some will sell for $1,000 or even less if they are not selling by a certain age up to $3,000. I have only heard of anyone paying more than this for an import but that's not to say no one does.

Some states are a lot cheaper to buy from than others too.

Some of the $1,000 ones can be quite good quality & a $2,000 may not be. Luck of the draw & knowing what you are looking for really.

GSPs seem to vary greatly, you can get a main register pup for $500 or I think when I was looking for my first one I was quoted $2500 from one place, i'm sure you'll find more expensive ones too, but pet pups vary between $500 (lowest i've heard of anyway) to $1500 plus - go figure.

Mine are $950 show or pet. I have based this on what I consider to be reasonable and what I have discussed with other breeders too.

My breed tends to be $900 - $1000 in this state.

A little off topic - but I am curious about stud prices. In my breed they are much, much, much more expensive here in Australia than in the US. Stud prices are only around $150 - $200 in the US even though puppies are a similar price to here. In Australia - stud prices vary but are about the cost of a puppy (so around the $900 - $1000 mark).

Why has the much higher pricing for studs developed here?

(Importing semen is a whole other story....)

Stud costs here are double what they were in North America for the most part...I was totally :eek: the first time I looked into it! I had a BIS, fully health cleared stud dog that had many many Ch. to his credit getting WAY less than what the average stud dog here is going for.

It used to be a hundred bucks less than the cost of the pups..have NO idea how they have come up with the pricing on stud dogs now...maybe I"m out of the loop having had my own boys and not having to worry about looking for stud dogs outside my own 'yard'.

I paid through the nose for the semen (thankfully it was here in Oz so I didn't have to ship it other than to my vet and that wasn't cheap either!) but as I'm getting back up again after my immigration here, I dont' have a lot of choices, so I hold my breath and find the money and hope for the best!