Pls Help I Found A Kitten

chiara

If people did something , when they first noticed a stray animal, that being call the ranger or capture it and take it to a pound, then there's some hope they will be reunited with their owners.

I hope to Dog my Whippet or Italian Greyhound never escape the yard, both would lose weight in the space of a day and act like someone has flogged them all of their life and in the do-gooders eyes, that would equal abuse and neglect and I'd be unlikely to find them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a cat trap, most councils have them. If she's been around for years, then she's just added a possible hundred or so kittens (because her kittens will have kittens, etc etc) to the ever increasing homeless/feral population.

Did you at least let the council know you had found a kitten?

I just love how people assume that stray cats and dogs are infact stray. They assume that all flea ridden, skinny animals are neglected. There was recently the assumption that a dog that had been hit by a car, had falled from a ute and that the owner didn't deserve it.

Owners wonder why, when their dogs and cats go missing, they are unable to find them. The answer is because some do-gooder picks them up, makes an assumption and decides to keep it, or hands it over to "rescue" when they have no right to do so.

Umm... Isn't the first basic rule of pet ownership to keep those pets safe and make sure they are tagged and have a collar on them? If my dog went missing he has a dog tag a council tag a microchip and I can guarantee no one would ever think he's abused.

I see your point and again if it was an older cat fine I totally would be out there with poster and all, but the vet said this is a stray, no chip and obviously hasn't been socialized with humans by the eating habits it must have been feeding on carcasses and it was in no condition to be given to a shelter who Im pretty sure would have put him or her down... I'm just making sure this kitty goes to someone with experience who can socialize and train and find a good home... That so wrong?

When i was a small girl we had a very large male rotti, he used to go chasing cats full growl and bark, i swore if ever got one it be really bad. Then one day our cat had a litter we didn't even know she was pregnant. the kittens were only a week old and the jaws (the rotti) got in under the house.

He scared the mother off and when i got under there and was just smelling and licking them so i took him out but one was missing. we looked around but couldn't find it anywhere. About an hour later i saw him walking around with something in his mouth i of course panicked and being only twelve screamed at him and ran up. he dropped it as i ran up but when i got closer he picked it back up and ran off to him bed.

He laid back down and looked at me with sooky eyes whimpering. and there the kitten was soggy and sticky crawling around.

it was the cutest thing i had ever seen.the point of my story is even the meanest cat chaser generally has an idea of a baby animal, and if you dog really meant it harm it would be showing it and probably could have when the opportunity was given. I wouldn't let them be unsupervised but it in time most likely work out. I also had a German shepherd who wasn't a chaser of any animal, but she used to have guinea pigs crawl over her. Unless you have at some point encouraged your rotti to be aggressive to small animals there is a chance they could be ok.

As for the kitten having an owner, mother cats rarely put kittens at risk by taking them on long journeys. My opinion if you can and want to keep it, it would probably have the best life with you. shelters are over run and should probably only go there if you can't care for it.

When i was a small girl we had a very large male rotti, he used to go chasing cats full growl and bark, i swore if ever got one it be really bad. Then one day our cat had a litter we didn't even know she was pregnant. the kittens were only a week old and the jaws (the rotti) got in under the house.

He scared the mother off and when i got under there and was just smelling and licking them so i took him out but one was missing. we looked around but couldn't find it anywhere. About an hour later i saw him walking around with something in his mouth i of course panicked and being only twelve screamed at him and ran up. he dropped it as i ran up but when i got closer he picked it back up and ran off to him bed.

He laid back down and looked at me with sooky eyes whimpering. and there the kitten was soggy and sticky crawling around.

it was the cutest thing i had ever seen.the point of my story is even the meanest cat chaser generally has an idea of a baby animal, and if you dog really meant it harm it would be showing it and probably could have when the opportunity was given. I wouldn't let them be unsupervised but it in time most likely work out. I also had a German shepherd who wasn't a chaser of any animal, but she used to have guinea pigs crawl over her. Unless you have at some point encouraged your rotti to be aggressive to small animals there is a chance they could be ok.

As for the kitten having an owner, mother cats rarely put kittens at risk by taking them on long journeys. My opinion if you can and want to keep it, it would probably have the best life with you. shelters are over run and should probably only go there if you can't care for it.

Wow that's so cute rotties are the best!

I Thought exactly that about shelters they are overun by cats and kittens and I'm determined this one is in for a better future!

As for the rottie I'm sure he doesnt want to hurt the kitten and he's not aggressive at all towards it it's just that the kitten is scarred to death of the dog and keeps hissing at the Rottweiler gets all freaked and shakes! It's horrible :-(

Yeah He was one of those really awesome dogz you'll remember til your old and grey. :)

We had a chi hua hua at the time we had him the chi ran up to the fence barking and what not , people would just laugh till the rotti stood behind her and then they'd walk a lil faster, I used to love watching that :)

Good luck with the kitty, hope it all works out

Edited by Angeluca

I think you did the right thing. Most shelters would rather not see you walk through the door with another kitten/cat. Yeah it could have belonged to someone. Not a very responsible person if they do. At least you offered it a warm place and got rid of the fleas any shelter would appreciate that too. Thanks for being a doo gooder!

I just love how people assume that stray cats and dogs are infact stray. They assume that all flea ridden, skinny animals are neglected. There was recently the assumption that a dog that had been hit by a car, had falled from a ute and that the owner didn't deserve it.

Owners wonder why, when their dogs and cats go missing, they are unable to find them. The answer is because some do-gooder picks them up, makes an assumption and decides to keep it, or hands it over to "rescue" when they have no right to do so.

Umm... Isn't the first basic rule of pet ownership to keep those pets safe and make sure they are tagged and have a collar on them? If my dog went missing he has a dog tag a council tag a microchip and I can guarantee no one would ever think he's abused.

I see your point and again if it was an older cat fine I totally would be out there with poster and all, but the vet said this is a stray, no chip and obviously hasn't been socialized with humans by the eating habits it must have been feeding on carcasses and it was in no condition to be given to a shelter who Im pretty sure would have put him or her down... I'm just making sure this kitty goes to someone with experience who can socialize and train and find a good home... That so wrong?

Seriously? Dogs, cats and kittens get lost everyday, not because all their owners are morons who don't care about them, accidents happen, dogs escape as do cats. And I never have collars/id tags on my cats (its dangerous IMO). My dogs are collarless when left home alone, as they can strangle themselves if their collars get hooked tangled. They wear them when we go out for walks.

In the eyes of the LAW, you must notify council (your in Qld?) to let them know you have found a kitten/cat/stray whatever.

COUNCIL LINK

I think you did the right thing. Most shelters would rather not see you walk through the door with another kitten/cat. Yeah it could have belonged to someone. Not a very responsible person if they do. At least you offered it a warm place and got rid of the fleas any shelter would appreciate that too. Thanks for being a doo gooder!

Bullshit. So every person who loses an animal is not responsible? Big difference between doo gooders and people who think they don't have to abide by the law. :banghead:

I sincerely hope your dog never jumps a fence and loses its collar in the process.

Wow... Who knew there'd be such strong opinions! Im confident I did the right thing as I consulted with neighbours and a vet... Council didn't seem too fussed either, now I am sure this kitten will be well cared for.

Btw on the comment about leaving the dogs without a collar, i think that's just silly I cannot imagine how my dog could possibly strangle itself...plus there's so many options out there with all sorts of different collars and harnesses, If I saw a dog without a collar I would assume it's a stray..

Wow... Who knew there'd be such strong opinions! Im confident I did the right thing as I consulted with neighbours and a vet... Council didn't seem too fussed either, now I am sure this kitten will be well cared for.

Btw on the comment about leaving the dogs without a collar, i think that's just silly I cannot imagine how my dog could possibly strangle itself...plus there's so many options out there with all sorts of different collars and harnesses, If I saw a dog without a collar I would assume it's a stray..

Tell that to the number of DOLers who have come home to a dead dog

Dogs that live and play together in packs, are also in danger if they wear collars, they can get their teeth stuck in them playing, that is also not nice to sort out.

ETA: my dogs do not wear collars for those reasons and if one were to get out, you would have NO right to keep it or dispose of it in any way, other than to the pound.

Edited by ReadySetGo

You've got to be joking. Even if you didn't know that some people kept their dogs bare at home, you wouldn't maybe think that a collarless dog had slipped its collar? Snagged it on a branch or otherwise broken it? I sincerely hope you never find my dog if he gets out. You're obliged to report found animals. You don't have to dump it at the pound; the relevant authorities do need to know that an animal by X description has been found though.

Well if Lottie got out and you found her, you'd think she was a stray, as i'd never leave a collar on her unsupervised at home - My auntie also lost a dog by it getting caught up with it's collar :(

You would be assuming wrong in so many cases then wouldn't you!! :mad

Just goes to show how nieve you are, personaly i know 4 dogs that have hung themselves all due to collers being caught up, also another that was thanfully rescued just in time with teath being caught in another dogs collar. I had a blond moment one day and left diesels collar on when i went to the corner store and came home to him crying with a tree branch lodged in his collar.

I acctually recomend people to not leave collars on unsupervise as it is just to risky. However with people like you around it makes me wonder how many dogs / cats are just kept insted of following the rule's and handing them in to the appropriate people.

If you really cared you would do the right thing and not be so selfish next time.

I repeat my question

Chiara did you notify the RSPCA and the local Council that you had found the kitten?
Edited by Ams

Just goes to show how nieve you are, personaly i know 4 dogs that have hung themselves all due to collers being caught up, also another that was thanfully rescued just in time with teath being caught in another dogs collar. I had a blond moment one day and left diesels collar on when i went to the corner store and came home to him crying with a tree branch lodged in his collar.

I acctually recomend people to not leave collars on unsupervise as it is just to risky. However with people like you around it makes me wonder how many dogs / cats are just kept insted of following the rule's and handing them in to the appropriate people.

If you really cared you would do the right thing and not be so selfish next time.

I also had the experience where my dog was sitting on one of those plastic outdoor chairs and he put his head down and his round id tag got caught because it twisted "locked" through the gap in the seat of the chair. If I wasn't there he would have struggled, tried jumping off and possibly severely hurting himself. From that day we didn't use those id tags and I had details embroidered on the collar.