How Do You Deal With How Other Ppl "discipline" Your Dogs?

BC Love

It's a simple as this "If you are coming into my yard you will adhere to my rules - we currently have a pup, he is being trained not to jump but still may as he isn't fully trained yet. Please don't hit my dog, by all means remove the dog and use a stern NO! if you feel this isn't to your liking - don't come over, and if I ever see/hear of you smacking my dog you are going to be picking yourself up from the floor"

This.....and if anyone smacked one of my dogs, I think I'd snot them :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to be outside with the children and the dog on lead. The dog still gets to be a part of that time and isn't missing out.

The reason that I would go down this path is that to teach your puppy not to jump on the children you need to do more than get everyone to be a tree. It is a fantastic opportunity to build value in 'four feet on the floor' or a 'polite sit for greeting' by positively reinforcing this behaviour (while you still have control on lead).

I would be playing some games with all the kids like walking up to the dog (who is next to you on leash) asking for a sit and then giving a reward. Then you could change it up by you and the dog walk toward the kid, you ask for a sit and the kid gives the reward.

I used to play these games with my 5 year old twin nieces when my dog was a puppy. The kids loved it because they were getting to give the dog treats and they were helping with the training. The dogs now have a very positive association with kids and always sit for a polite greeting.

If I'm not in control of my dog, and it jumps on.annoys someone - then if they push /hit the dog .. it's my fault. ;) I can ask people to not pat/discipline my dog while it's on leash or under my control ..but if I'm not looking .. then I need to acccept that something I don't approve of may happen. My problem.

:thumbsup:

This.

ETA - noone can get into my yard unless I let them in through the house. IMO it's my responsibility to look after my dog.

Edited by Agility Dogs

I think you need to be outside with the children and the dog on lead. The dog still gets to be a part of that time and isn't missing out.

The reason that I would go down this path is that to teach your puppy not to jump on the children you need to do more than get everyone to be a tree. It is a fantastic opportunity to build value in 'four feet on the floor' or a 'polite sit for greeting' by positively reinforcing this behaviour (while you still have control on lead).

I would be playing some games with all the kids like walking up to the dog (who is next to you on leash) asking for a sit and then giving a reward. Then you could change it up by you and the dog walk toward the kid, you ask for a sit and the kid gives the reward.

I used to play these games with my 5 year old twin nieces when my dog was a puppy. The kids loved it because they were getting to give the dog treats and they were helping with the training. The dogs now have a very positive association with kids and always sit for a polite greeting.

:thumbsup:

I agree with this. I do think that it is your house and he is a puppy and it's no one else's right to tell you how to train him. But having the kids there is a great opportunity to do the above and teach the puppy what you want him to do. And from what I've seen kids love seeing a dog do what they ask it to then being able to give them a treat!

He won't be able to concentrate for all that long though so maybe he could have a play/training session for a while then go inside with you and have a rest away from the kids.

Agree with the others that if someone hit my dogs, or told their kids too, none of them would be at my house again!

To the people who say 'you should have control of your dog at all times', this is in the OP's home, she isn't taking him down to the local park and letting him terrorise the local children. Training takes time, and pups don't always have the best self-control.

I agree, I didn't realise this was inside the home. In that case, I would let them know that you have a puppy, he might jump up, but you are working on it, and would appreciate some understanding and would like to explain to the kids how to behave if it happens. If the guy still threatens to hit your dog, then I wouldn't let him come over until the dog is trainer, OR crate the dog while they are over. I would probably also tell them off for threatening violence against my dog, but that's just me.

Thanks kiesha09 - I love this idea - I will be showing OH this when he gets home. :)

Thanks kiesha09 - I love this idea - I will be showing OH this when he gets home. :)

Oh and I also think it is a great way of showing your neighbours kids what the appropriate behaviour around your puppy is... ie. when puppy gets excited stand still ask him to sit and then give him pats (all under your supervision of course).

I can't say that I have ever had someone else try and discipline my dog aside from maybe Terranik but even then, just a verbal correction is enough. I've done the same to her dogs at some point i'm sure. That being said, we have quite similar styles. Neither of us would hit each other's dog.

To the people who say 'you should have control of your dog at all times', this is in the OP's home, she isn't taking him down to the local park and letting him terrorise the local children. Training takes time, and pups don't always have the best self-control.

Exactly! Which is why the OP may need to use physical control/restraint ... so puppy is not able to make mistakes/learn bad habits :)

Exactly! Which is why the OP may need to use physical control/restraint ... so puppy is not able to make mistakes/learn bad habits :)

Ah, good point, I was just thinking about verbal control.

I like the suggestion of teaching the kids to train the pup on-lead too. My girl is great around kids and the local little 'uns love giving her commands. Sometimes she gets confused and I give her sly hand signals to get her to respond, but the kids are so happy when she obeys. The kids also start to learn that yelling 10 commands in quick succession with no treats isn't a good way to get dogs to do things :laugh:

ETA: I think it's also good mental stimulation for her to work out what the kids want, so it's win-win for both the dog and the children

Edited by Weasels

If this neighbour is over so often maybe get him to help you with the training. That way the dog can benefit and so can the neighbour when he sees the results. He may then not be so ignorant of your training methods.

In regards to other people disciplining my dogs, I don't have a problem with it. Not everyone (doggy or not) enjoys a dog jumping all over them or body slamming them with excitement. If my dogs did that and someone put a knee up or slapped then for it, no problem.... the dog shouldn't behave like that IMO and I should have stopped it. I don;t expect others to put up with rudeness if they don't like it. Besides its good of the dogs get an unexpected corection for it so they learn what appropriate approach method is. Thats why pups get bitten when they rudely introduce themselves to dogs........its only the othe dogs teaching them manners generally. Manner lessons have to come from people as well as dogs.

Jumping is a hard problem to deal with, a friends big dog still jumps at 2,5 years and she has pushed me over because of her size. Standing still does not work for her, ignoring her does not work. If she comes and sits near me I will praise her and give her a treat but most of the time she will jump up again after this. They have also tried time outs, I dont want to hijack the thread but what else can they do?? I used to tell my dog off for it and then out him back onlead or give him a time out. None of which worked for my friends dog

Sorry, but your dog should not be jumping on any children.

Correct your dog.

How should she correct it?

It is a puppy and she is working on it.

Unfortunately some dogs do take longer to pick it up than others.

Edited by Cat

It doesn't matter what you do with your pup, that is not the issue here.

The fact is that your neighbour obviously has no respect at all for you to even be saying this.

If your pup has been terrorising & jumping all over his children, which I doubt is the case, he should not be bringing his children over to your house.

It is not his place to discipline or hit your pup other than saying no or down or ah ah etc if it jumps on one of his children & is at risk of knocking them over then if you don't do anything or it is a constant problem he should go home with them & not come back, it is not his house or place to discipline anything.

Hi :)

Ok, so my neighbour thinks the way I do things with my pooch (18wk old pup) is stupid - for eg : dog jumping on kids - be a tree, no hitting dog at all, ect ect.

Anyway - this morning he was over and said if the dog jumped on his child he would hit it - and Im like - no one is allowed to hit my dog ever! He just said - well I would. He didnt think it mattered that he is a puppy ect - no excuses just whale the dog!!

Any way - how do you deal with people who use (or want to) their very different forms of training or discipline on your dog.

I don't have that problem :D

lol

how would your neighbour feel if you hit his children when they are out of control? :) ...they're CHILDREN. likewise, this is a puppy-in-training. I just can't believe the cheek of some people. It's very rude, or maybe he's just ignorant. Either way, if he's uncomfortable with your dog's behaviour around his kids, he needs to stop bringing the kids around . They can meet somewhere else. It took us a good year, year-and-a-half, to train our dogs not to jump, so I don't think it's 'your dog is out of control and you should learn to control it better' . These things can take time.