Most Popular And Competitive Agility Breeds By Height

There seem to be a few threads lately about what breeds are best suited for agility so I thought I'd start a thread that people can maybe refer to in the future.

Also if you could add in what breed you currently do agility with and some short info about advantages and disadvantages if any and what experience you have in agility.

I currently train a one year old lab. She is good for a beginner like myself because she's eager to please, would throw herself under a train for food, fairly obedient and fairly quick to learn and forgiving if you make mistakes.

My opinions are based on dogs I've seen in training and at trials but I'm in no way an expert or anything :p

(these are not in order):

Small dogs

- Papillion

- Poodle (toy or mini)

- JRT

- Sheltie

- Cav

Medium dogs

- Border Collie

- Kelpie

- Koolie

- Aussie Sheps

- Tollers

- whippet

Large Dogs

- GSP

- Viszla

- Weim

- Standard Poodle

- Belgian Malinois

- Retrievers- Lab, GR, Flattie ( provided they are kept in lean body condition )

Edited by aussielover

Hi aussielover :D great info, the breeds you have listed I have seen in training & compete here in Vic.

You could add Whippet in Med size dogs, I do know a couple that are learning & a couple that do have Titles

Pappys are brilliant, my daughter is training 2 of our Paps :D

I have also seen Bc X & kelpie X take part

What data did you use to compile these statistics? If the answer is none I would not rank breeds and instead out a - next to them under catagories. Or re-title the thread "Most popular agility breeds by height"

Thanks I have done that, tho took me a while to figure out how to change the topic name :laugh:

Also added in others suggestions

Edited by aussielover

All of the medium sized breeds you've listed are out in full force at my club. I often feel out of place (I have a Sibe and a lappie) and they're both the only ones of their breeds out at agility training. :laugh: That said, my Sibe is doing extremely well at agility, but they're definitely not a breed that someone wanting a dog to do agility would buy!

And of course how competitive they are can depend a lot on the handler/trainer :rofl:

Very small sample size down here, but 600 - GSPs, working BC, Viszla 500 - Border Collies - incl 1 Ag Ch, Aussie Shepherd, Kelpie X, 400 - Shetland Sheepdog (Ag Ch), Small dogs - mini Poodle, Shih Tsu, Cavalier, Shelties, Bichon/

There are LOADS of Miniature Schnauzers doing very well in agility here.

I would add Mini Schnauzers and Swedish Valhunds to the little dogs and English Springers to the mediums.

thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Glad to hear this! Can't wait to get out there with my newest agility project, little Pippa, a mini schnauzer!

I currently trial two Labs and they do well enough and are competitive against other breeds definitely in Novice and Excellent levels. One of mine is fast and would be competitive at Masters level too if she had a handler/trainer who was experienced. Unfortunately for her, I am her downfall and we won't be competitive at that level when we get there :)

In addition to first list.

We've got a number of cross breeds in all height categories.

short:

tenterfields

Theres a youtube of a chinese crested doing agility in Europe somewhere.

Medium

ACD and ACDx

cocker spaniel

welsh springer spaniels

Large

munsterlander

boxers

dobermans

dalmations

and some tall BCs

bearded collies

standard poodle

smooth collies

rough collies

GSD

USA Agility Brace.

Including two keeshund

Can anyone comment on dallies in agility? I've got a 5 month old pup that I would love to get into either agility or showing/conformation.

Hi there - best dog ever :D Not the easiest by any stretch of the imagination to run in agility but SO much fun when you find out what makes them tick. They are smart. Too smart actually!!! Ziggy has made me a better trainer as any mistakes I make are magnified for the world to see :laugh: LOTS of positive reinforcement and variety in training - food, tug, whatever works - don't get grumpy in training or they'll take the first bus home. Don't be in a rush to start on equipment - LOTS of groundwork, focus and control first - it made our transition to agility much easier (we started agility training when he was 2). As a newbie to the modern way of handling I found that it was harder for me to get it right than the dog - so I would run the course 4 or 5 times and when I got it right I would run Zig through once or twice to save him from getting bored. Zig is in Masters Jumping (a couple of passes thus far) and Excellent Agility now plus the Open courses (a few passes) and we're both loving it. Happy to answer any questions you have. If you have access to a good agility club or a trainer that's a great start. One of my private instructors runs VERY fast Border Collies but is really understanding of breed quirks so I love getting lessons with her.

The Dalmatian thread is a bit quiet of late but it would be great to see some more pics in there! Ah - just saw that you had posted - sorry, somehow I missed it! Also let us know the breeder as a history of dog sports in the lines help (message me if you don't want to post on the public forum).

Video here but we have both improved a lot since that was taken - purely by concentrating on a couple of aspects of my handling and his understanding...

Can anyone comment on dallies in agility? I've got a 5 month old pup that I would love to get into either agility or showing/conformation.

Hi there - best dog ever :D Not the easiest by any stretch of the imagination to run in agility but SO much fun when you find out what makes them tick. They are smart. Too smart actually!!! Ziggy has made me a better trainer as any mistakes I make are magnified for the world to see :laugh: LOTS of positive reinforcement and variety in training - food, tug, whatever works - don't get grumpy in training or they'll take the first bus home. Don't be in a rush to start on equipment - LOTS of groundwork, focus and control first - it made our transition to agility much easier (we started agility training when he was 2). As a newbie to the modern way of handling I found that it was harder for me to get it right than the dog - so I would run the course 4 or 5 times and when I got it right I would run Zig through once or twice to save him from getting bored. Zig is in Masters Jumping (a couple of passes thus far) and Excellent Agility now plus the Open courses (a few passes) and we're both loving it. Happy to answer any questions you have. If you have access to a good agility club or a trainer that's a great start. One of my private instructors runs VERY fast Border Collies but is really understanding of breed quirks so I love getting lessons with her.

The Dalmatian thread is a bit quiet of late but it would be great to see some more pics in there! Ah - just saw that you had posted - sorry, somehow I missed it! Also let us know the breeder as a history of dog sports in the lines help (message me if you don't want to post on the public forum).

Video here but we have both improved a lot since that was taken - purely by concentrating on a couple of aspects of my handling and his understanding...

thanks for the reply spotted devil! Cleo is already showing her intelligence (or is it cheekiness?) and her ability to get into things she shouldnt is amazing (climbing on a gas bottle to reach a counter top? for food of course). She is extremely food driven, but also toy driven - yay. When toys don't work, food will.

Your Ziggy is gorgeous by the way - will pm you now once I figure it out...

The best dog to do agility with is the one that is in your back yard, or the one that suits your lifestyle best because they are not just agility machines. There is no way I would have a Border Collie or Kelpie, just not right for my lifestyle, even though they are lovely dogs

There are a few Brittany's that compete around Aus, they are in the 500 class.

Brittany are great for agility, I have videos of us running with a sea of working dogs in the background, managed to get in quite a few wins though ;)

there have also been a couple of Brittanys over time do very well at nationals, which is quite an achievement for a numerically small breed

and I am not biased at all LOL

I have seen a few Dallies here in Victoria doing agility, the dogs really enjoyed it, give it a go I reckon

Edited by helen