Would You Sell A Puppy..

Dju

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you? (Read OP)

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

not a dog breeder but a cat one, and the only thing that would stop me is if I found out that the person buying was doing so as a front for someone who wanted one of my cats, but who either myself or my mentor (who owns the studs I will use), does not want to get the lines. I also have a contract with all of my queens that says that those breeders approval has to be given for me to sell a breeding cat before I do so, and that I cannot sell kittens directly from their queens into their states. But if it was just something like that described above, and I thought they would be the perfect home for one of my kittens, with the exception of 1 person I have "met" on both this forum and catworld, there is no one who I would refuse to sell to based on what they have said online (but several who I would most definitely sell to based on their common sense they have continually displayed!!!!) The only people I know I would not sell to I have met elsewhere in person, and their actions have certainly dictated I would never let any of my kittens anywhere near them.

I have although it took me ages to decide to and I had to call in a fellow breeder to meet this person and confirm my suspicions that there was nothing wrong with the home other than the fact that the person grated on my nerves. She has offered this puppy a super home for many years now but every time I ring to check on my or she rings with an update I have to mentally prepare myself. In the end I figured I didn't have to live with her whining and as long as she loved and looked after my puppy that was the most important thing.

I have although it took me ages to decide to and I had to call in a fellow breeder to meet this person and confirm my suspicions that there was nothing wrong with the home other than the fact that the person grated on my nerves. She has offered this puppy a super home for many years now but every time I ring to check on my or she rings with an update I have to mentally prepare myself. In the end I figured I didn't have to live with her whining and as long as she loved and looked after my puppy that was the most important thing.

This summarizes what I think about the issue as well :) That it's not about me, it's about the puppy.

For me, it would depend on why I dislike them. Personal preferences/sexuality etc don't bother me but I do trust my gut about people and if I didn't feel right about it I couldn't go through with it (although I have trouble telling people "no").

That said, I would be hesitant to sell a pup to my sisters! At least I could keep an eye on them...

I'm not a breeder but I voted No.

I could not let an animal go to a home I was not entirely comfortable with. Differences of opinion, sex, race etc. are not the problem though. It could be one little comment or action (when seen with pups etc. or even their children or partner) that puts me right off and once put off, that would be it for me..no puppy!! or kitty! etc.

I voted NO....I like to keep in contact with my puppy buyers for updates & photos, aswell as giving them ongoing support & advice, so having a good relationship with my puppy people is very important to me. :)

I think if I felt uncomfortable with someone or personally clashed with them in anyway then a good relationship with them might end up being diffucult...so no I don't think I could sell them one of my puppies.

If they were a perfect home for the dog in question, but had lifestyle choices I didn't understand (or want to), or they had some weird religion (that didn't include animal sacrifice), or their political views were different to mine - I'd have to say that I would most likely still adopt the dog to them.

If I got the vibe that they are bulsh!tting me in order to get a dog - possibly been knocked back by other rescues and had learned what NOT to say - then I'd go with my gut instinct and probably refuse to adopt the dog to them.

It's definitely a case by case basis...

T.

I sold a puppy to a person who was the very public face of an organisation with which I totally disagree! I didn't realise it until I met her in person, having had a few chats on the phone with her. I decided that the fact she believed so vehemently in a cause which I did not mean she wouldn't give the puppy a good home.

I have a friend who works for one of those hated animal organisations......I would put her at the top of my list to sell (or give) a puppy to. Her dogs have swags of titles in dog sports.....very advanced titles, they trial at a high level. They are her world and her entire life revolves around them.

On the other hand, there are people in the dog world who I wouldn't sell a broken down car to, let alone a live animal.

Cat breeder not dog and have also rehomed rescues and I am fussy - if I'm not happy with someone and I might not even know why just have an uncomfortable feeling about them then the answer is no. But it has nothing to do with their politics, football club etc. It is based on what sort of home they will offer and for how long.

Hard question with many variables.

We can't love everyone we meet & I have had some owners that others have said oh they are nuts or something silly & they have turned out to be fabulous owners.

If I really dislike someone & I don't know why this is extremely rare & I follow my gut instinct & say no.

Which football team, politics, sexual preference etc is not important.

However if they were a member of an organisation that discriminated against people, racist, extreme religion etc that I consider cruel or harmful I would be wary & it would probably influence me due to personal dislike.

I am no fan of Bible bashers. But I'd have no problem selling a pup to someone who came with the Watchtower in hand . . . or who asked me if I take Jesus Christ as my personal saviour. I admit my prejudice. It is irrelevant to the question of loving and caring for a puppy. There are some people I like that I wouldn't sell a puppy to . . . cause I know them to be irresponsible.

Dislike and "don't agree with" are two different things imo. You can get on with someone whose views you don't share.

If I just didn't agree with some of their personal views (except when it comes to pet care etc) then yes, I would give them a pup.

If I disliked them for whatever reason I would not.

I voted NO, I like to keep in touch with my puppy buyers. In saying that, I have friends and family members I wouldn't sell to.

I admit that I have only bred 150 puppies in 30 years, and have had 3 puppies back, 1 due to the owner dying, but her family knew and in her will she stated the dog was to come back to me. The other 2 came back as the result of divorce.

But I have had people that I have declined a sale to over the phone even before meeting them, as well when the people have arrived I have declined to sell them a puppy. Mainly this is due to my belief that the wouldn't care for the puppy well enough, or that they wanted my breed as a guard dog, or that they really didn't understand the reqirements of the puppy.

I'm agenced Christians (I have a good reason) but that does not mean I wouldn't sell a puppy of mine to a christian family to me it comes down to are they good people and will they love and care for this pup and good old gut feeling that's the only thing that matters not your personal religious views.