Dog Breed Survey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nearly all the crossbreeds I included SBT - whereas I should've just put I don't know. It's incredibly hard to say when it comes to cross bull breeds what exactly is the cross. I thought I'd err on the side of SBT rather than what I think this survey is hoping for and everyone to say Pit Bull or Pit Bull cross

Thanks - so now all bull breed cross dogs could be identified as SBT crosses. Not saying if they are or if they aren't, but if enough people think, oh gotta avoid the P word to save all the cross bred bull breed dogs then all they're doing is dropping ANOTHER breed into the same situation.

Crossbred dog - didn't see the mating, don't have the DNA proof of parentage - don't know the cross is a more sensible answer IMO

That's pretty much what I did for that section....I'm don't like to guess what's in a cross breed, there could be anyting in them, I ticked I don't know for most of them.

I think I got 90% right for the pure breed section...I wish they would let you know how many you got right.

I agree too many Bull breed types, & I'm not too knowledgeable with Bull breeds.

I too hit "don't know" for most of the cross breeds, or the ones that I thought were cross breeds anyway.

Although, I did think that maybe it could also work the other way around, and serve as a way to prove that the general public really does not know what the crossbreeds are, and that most people will just assume they are all APBT or crosses whether they are or not, if that makes sense?

But I guess the creator of the survey would also need to know the parentage of the crosses for that to be possible.. I dunno.

Thanks - so now all bull breed cross dogs could be identified as SBT crosses. Not saying if they are or if they aren't, but if enough people think, oh gotta avoid the P word to save all the cross bred bull breed dogs then all they're doing is dropping ANOTHER breed into the same situation.

Crossbred dog - didn't see the mating, don't have the DNA proof of parentage - don't know the cross is a more sensible answer IMO

Which is why I said I should have put I don't know - but in taking the test honestly I could see SBT in alot of the crosses so put it. I couldn't see APBT so didn't put that.

I don't think the survey is being done to demonize any dogs I think it is in fact being done with a pro-APBT agenda - so as to say "Look people can't even identify a Pit Bull - they've said this, this and this are APBT and they are such and such" to try and educate people that not all Bull breeds are Pit Bulls.

But that's just my take on it.

So hopefully my answering honestly and possibly incorrectly will lead to some education schemes. Whereas I could quite easily have said dunno dunno dunno and what purpose would that serve?

Which is why I said I should have put I don't know - but in taking the test honestly I could see SBT in alot of the crosses so put it. I couldn't see APBT so didn't put that.

You should just answer honestly and not try to second-guess the survey's motives. If it is a PhD project (I think I read that) they should have no agenda and just want to find out the facts - if you skew your answers based on assumptions you are just providing junk data, and it will probably get thrown out as a statistical aberration anyway.

I have always had more trouble telling The difference between a Malamute and a Husky.

I had this trouble too unless they are next to each other :laugh: For some of them I wished there was a size reference.

(EFS)

Edited by Weasels

Whereas I could quite easily have said dunno dunno dunno and what purpose would that serve?

It could have shown that people simply don't know what is in a cross bred dog and that there's really no way of knowing short of a DNA test proving parentage (I don't mean the bitsa nonsense :laugh:). "Seeing" Staffordshire Bull Terrier in a cross bred dog is pretty subjective - I've had the breed for over 30 years and there were only two of the crossbreds that I "saw" Stafford in!

There were a couple of occasions where I put "Amstaff crossed with I don't know" or "SBT crossed with I don't know" because that's what I thought they mostly looked like, but didn't look pure and I wouldn't have a clue what the combination is. I only have one friend with a bull breed, and I've never seen a bull breed at a dog park before so I just don't know them well enough. I think I would have gotten almost all of the purebreed questions though, except for probably some of the terriers coz I really don't know terrier dogs.

It said if you put 'don't know" it was if you didn't know if it was a purebred or not. I knew they were crosses, just no clue with some what they were,so didn't put don't know. The one on the beach looked like a right mix.

Some could have been badly bred pure too. very hard!

I think part of the point of the survey is that if even dog freaks like us can't tell if a dog is pure or crossed or a "Pit" or a "Pit x" then what bloody hope do the media/general public/officials on the scene have?

I think part of the point of the survey is that if even dog freaks like us can't tell if a dog is pure or crossed or a "Pit" or a "Pit x" then what bloody hope do the media/general public/officials on the scene have?

Yeah that's exactly right! :laugh::mad

I only put pitbull for about 3 or 4.Most looked like amstaffs,staffys,and thier crosses to me.I have always had more trouble telling The difference between a Malamute and a Husky.

But i haven;t had much to do with either.So is the survey just to see if ppl can identify Pitbulls or is there more to it as well?

I was exactly the same, a lot of crosses looked like they had a stafford face, but the bodies didn't match lol

I think I got the malamute and husky right, the first dog looked bigger so I put malamute for that

I started but lost interest halfway.

Interesting re bull breeds, Archer is a Boston Terrier so has that smooshed in face kind of look that people associate with bull breeds, recently as he's lost his puppy looks people have steered clear of him - he's always on a leash in these areas but never lunges/moves towards them or anything - however people will usher their children away, one girl grabbed her boyfriends hand and moved to the other side away from us... :confused: I know I'm not imagining as my husband has experienced the same thing and one of our friends also commented on it.

Well I think he's cute... Boston Terriers were on my list of dogs when we were looking. Love a smooshy face. :)

Aww thanks! :D I should say that it's the minority of people that do this and I don't know them so their response may have nothing to do with his looks, I think I was feeling a bit sensitive yesterday :o

Bostons are great! Maybe for the next addition??

Great survey. Linda Watson also wrote the article just posted in the news section in relation to breed bans. Brilliant subject for a PhD and I think the survey is great in highlighting how hard it is to identify breeds when looking at a cross or mixed bred dog.

Edited by melzawelza

I did it too. I assumed that there were so many bull breed photos because they're trying to determine how accurate people are in identifying them correctly, to assess whether bite statistics are correct. I wondered whether the photo quality was so bad to see how well people can assess the breed if they don't have time to sit there and study the dog and see it from various angles. If there's an attack I imagine things happen pretty quickly and often people don't get a great look at the dog's features etc.. amidst the chaos. Just a thought anyway.

Yup, I'd say the size and bad angles of some of the photos was intentional for those reasons.

Yes but when you see a dog in real life it isn't 1 inch square, plus it's moving so you CAN see multiple angles not just dodgy photos.

I have some photos of my dogs that make them look totally different than they do in real life.