Self Appointed Dog Whisperer

Fatsofatsoman

we had a fruit loop in the park last night - self appointed dog whisperer going up to everyone and giving advice and 'handling' peoples dogs. Pinning them by their necks and patting/calming them.

i was surprised at everyone's patience with this woman - my boy was playing with a staffy and they were both loving it.

She sees this and heads over "now lets stop this before it escalates" I politely pointed out (well maybe not) that if she so much as touched my dog I'd be pinning her on the floor by her neck and patting the busy body out of her.

Was I too harsh? she left, others laughed.

we had a fruit loop in the park last night - self appointed dog whisperer going up to everyone and giving advice and 'handling' peoples dogs. Pinning them by their necks and patting/calming them.

i was surprised at everyone's patience with this woman - my boy was playing with a staffy and they were both loving it.

She sees this and heads over "now lets stop this before it escalates" I politely pointed out (well maybe not) that if she so much as touched my dog I'd be pinning her on the floor by her neck and patting the busy body out of her.

No, not too harsh.. may have saved her a bite too.

:rofl: Silly woman!

I couldn't believe her - she was seeking an audience and was really pushy. "Now you must do this every time before entering this park"

"ooh this one is very anxious and upset isn't he" To which the owner should have said "No not really - he was just fine before you came in and tried manhandling him"

Good for you :clap: Put her where she belongs, in her place.

Some people never fail to amaze me. How rude. Just what you needed a "know it all"

to try & spoil everybody's fun at the dog park :noidea: . Hope she got the message. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Wow, I would never let anyone touch my dogs like that.

There were some posters and business cards put up around here a few weeks ago, someone claiming to be a dog trainer using CM's methods, and they also pointed out that they were 'fully qualified' and 'police checked'.

Wow, I would never let anyone touch my dogs like that.

There were some posters and business cards put up around here a few weeks ago, someone claiming to be a dog trainer using CM's methods, and they also pointed out that they were 'fully qualified' and 'police checked'.

Me either. I don't allow anyone touch / handle my dogs except me.

Good on you :thumbsup:

I don't let anyone touch my dogs or discipline them unless its done in a way that I approve. The CM wannabes are the worst!!!

oh bloody hell, yep they would have been told where to go and not to politely if they had of touched mine, may have had a possible issue catching them though, strange person lunging in for the grab would have them skipping out the way!

bloody morons

I politely pointed out (well maybe not) that if she so much as touched my dog I'd be pinning her on the floor by her neck and patting the busy body out of her.

haha.. brilliant. you said the sort of thing that I usually bite my tongue at and wish I had said in hindsight! Did she have a dog of her own in the park?

There is always at least one person at a dog park that seems to think that everyone else is a complete novice at owning a dog... I tend to not let them near my dogs... and if anyone tried to pin one of my dogs CM style, then they'd probably end up sporting a very nasty HUMAN bite from me!

True "dog whisperers" don't march up and start manhandling a dog. The usual method is to observe said dog for a good while and sum up it's actual body language before deciding to talk to the owner and ask if they want any tips. If they say "no thanks" (or anything vaguely resembling that phrase), then leave them the hell alone... duhhhh!

One thing I've learned over the years is that understanding dog body language is not necessarily something that can be easily learned - especially not from a TV show that is highly edited to show a favourable outcome... you either have an innate "skill" for it, or you don't.

T.

Good on you for putting her in her place....Far, far away from your dog!

I've had a few know-it-alls take me by surprise (including one man on a quiet trail in bushland, scared the heck out of me :eek:) I've deflected them, usually politely, sometimes more tersely (creep in the bush).Really, I'd hate for some stranger to ruin my dog/ set back our training.

I envy you your witty deflection of "pinning her on the floor by her neck and patting the busy body out of her" :laugh:

I just don't think quickly enough to come out with anything witty. :dunce:

Ugh! One of my pet peeves!

I go to a groomer who is like that and she is sooo patronising. I'm going to start looking for someone else. She has airs about herself because she's also a vet nurse - you know, the kind who see themselves as on a par with a vet? I wouldn't go to most vets for advice about my dog.

She told me recently that my Pug has a "domineering personality". How ridiculous! He is supposed to have a strong, determined personality because he is a Pug...and at the groomer's/vet's he is a polite, submissive little flea!

I'm glad you told her where to go.

ETA: my Pug has a strong personality as in vivacious, larger than life, multum en parvo (or however you say it). Hope that makes sense.

Edited by littlesquashyguys