Three Syllable Dog Names

littlesquashyguys

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Maddy, which she gets 99.9999% of the time.

Sometimes when one son is getting her attention he calls her Mad-e-line which he really draws out. She will come slinking up to him, he claps his hands then they both roll on the floor in play. It started as something he called her when she was in trouble but it is a game now and she LOVES hearing Mad-e-line but I'm not sure if she recognises it as her name :laugh:

I love human names.Most of my friends have dogs with human names.2 dacshunds called Graeme and Neil.Another friend 3 dacshunds Douglas,Ray and Ralph.I have Stan.Most people don't like it I love it.Stan the Man and of course whan I'm serious it's SSTTTAAANNLLLYYYY!Although he's not the sharpest tool in the shed so I could call him fruitbowl and he'd still come running.Then I have Maddie.Mads,Miss Maddie,Madeleine the divine,The divine Miss M,Maggi chicken stock cube. :laugh:

My girl Matilda is called "Tilly". She was a stray at the pound so I didn't know what her old name was, but by the second day of owning her she knew the name Tilly.

I don't think a 3 syllable name for a dog is too long, my dogs have several nicknames that they also respond to. If you want to call them together they respond to being called "girls".

Guest donatella

Barry the pug. That's cute. Didn't someone on DOL have a cat named Kevin? :laugh:

I know a Doug the Pug and a Daniel the Cavalier Spaniel :laugh:

name them whatever you like- nicknames usually take over anyway ;)

Yes, very true indeed!

My old boy Kaspa used to get called Nooni also :laugh:

& Now I have Tashi, who also gets called Tai Chi & McTashiburger :D

and Elsa who gets called Els & Elsgirl.

And I think dogs adapt very easily with name changes. I have found it best to also go through some names with them & see if they respond more to any of them :)

Not sure I would ever pick a really long name for a dog, but it would probably just get shortened anyway!

mine all get nicknames anyway so it doesn't matter how many syllables they have, Tilly in fact has four syllables but rarely gets her full name and Mocha who only has 2 syllables has a nickname with 8 :laugh:

Matilda-Rose gets called Tilly, Tilly-Rose, Tilda, Til, Rosie Til, she answers to all

mocha gets Mocharina Ballerina, Mighty Mouse, Mochy

Onslow gets Ons or Onsy

FlashBazil gets Flashes or Flashy or flashesbazil

Latte she only gets Latty

name them whatever you like- nicknames usually take over anyway ;)

Yep Archer responds to all his nicknames and they're all 3 syllables or more, Sooky-dog, Pigeon-nugget, Archer-dog-furry-pants and Mr Furry Pants. Although in public we just stick to Archer, his nicknames are bit embarrassing :o

Nope, because then they have a "naughty" name. Eg, "Fionn, come here!" Or..."Fionneaghan!! Get off there with your muddy paws!!!!"

:laugh: - reminds me of my boy, Niki - his "real" name was Nikita, he usually got called Niki-Bear but when he was in trouble it was "Nicholas Edward Bear"

An Obedience Instructor once told my (ex) husband that you shouldn't call a dog by a nick-name, as the dog would get confused. Yeah, right :rofl:

Edited by poodlemum