Client Showed Up At The Door With Dog -

Andisa

Ok - just having a whinge :o , a client who just shows up at the door with dog and wants the dog done on the spot.

I wasn't home, hubby called me to say he was there. I was going to tell him to get his phone number and I will call him later but he puts him on the phone - my phone had a flat battery and it cut out without knowing who it was. I had just picked my daughter up from work and we were going to go for a drive to get her hours up so she can go for her license soon.

I called home from my daughters phone and there was no answer - a few mins later he called me on daughters phone. The man was still there and wanted the dog done so was just going to leave the dog there. Hubby didn't know what to do with the dog or if he should take it since he didn't even know what I was doing. The owner told him he had to take his car to the mechanic and can't take the dog with him. It was just easier to say I was on my way home.

We pull up and I should have known who it was, this bloke is a pain. I think he must look at the dog and think "you need a clip - now". I have done it on the spot before and that was the worst thing I could have done - he expects this all the time now. The dog is an arse, has no manners, will crap anywhere - even while I am grooming him. He will not co-operate making grooming very difficult, only good thing is he is not aggressive.

He picks the dog up and thanks me for doing him on short notice, stupid me says "that's ok" but I did say - here is my number, make sure you call next time because I might not be able to get home this quick again if I have plans.

I should have told Hubby to tell him I am not home - give him my number and I will call him later.

I planned today off for driving with my daughter and I am the WORST passenger in the world - sitting in the seat beside a "L" plate driver is not what I call a good time but we planned it and should have done it anyway.

*whinge over* :)

Edited by Andisa

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Why make a big deal out of it - you should just have told your husband to tell him you weren't home and he couldn't leave the dog. You sound like one of those groomers who don't really like dogs at all with that description of the dog - its not his fault his owner is inconsiderate.

Why make a big deal out of it - you should just have told your husband to tell him you weren't home and he couldn't leave the dog. You sound like one of those groomers who don't really like dogs at all with that description of the dog - its not his fault his owner is inconsiderate.

Woh.

I can clearly state that Andisa loves dogs. running a business from home does not entitle people to rock up willy nilly and expect service on demand after all it is her home too and she is entitled to go out with her daughter ect that is why appts should be made. Even more frustrating to change your plans and have a not so willing participant to groom there is nothing worse

Thats pretty harsh. It might not be the dogs fault he is the way he is but that doesn't mean he's not a pain in the arse to groom. Bit out of line to make the leap from that to the OP being a groomer who doesn't like dogs.

I agree with you Snook. I used to be a groomer and although I LOVE dogs there were a few that I can easily say that I disliked, maybe even hated. I really didn't think I could ever hate or not like a dog but there is a small number of them that make it really hard to like anything about them.

Goodness that's a little bit harsh isn't it? We have some dog patients that come to our clinic that I will happily say drive me insane (especially the artistic ones who like to decorate their cage walls with their faeces as soon as they arrive :thumbsup: ) - but it doesn't mean I don't love them the same as the other well behaved ones?

Hey, Lavendergirl, I'd guess you aren't a groomer? I did it for years and some dogs are absolute little shites and some are big shites!

That's often why the groomers get the job 'cause the owner cant be bothered to teach the dog to be handled and groomed. My big mistake when I started was letting one owner stay while I did her 'precious', snappy, snarling little dear. One day the owner had to go to the loo up the street, dog got a good shaking, plonked back on the table, roared at and it was 'nearly' an angel after that lol.

I'm pretty sure these dogs don't poop everywhere just to annoy you, in fact, they are probably stressed/anxious.

Tell the owner you can't do it again without an appt, or make up a sign and put it on your door. Twice you've done it now, and he'll continue to just rock up with his dog unless you take a stand and learn to say NO. ;

We have some dog patients that come to our clinic that I will happily say drive me insane (especially the artistic ones who like to decorate their cage walls with their faeces as soon as they arrive :thumbsup: ) - but it doesn't mean I don't love them the same as the other well behaved ones?

This is why you're at vet nurse and I'm .. not Stormie ;)

I find lots of dogs positively unloveable. Mostly its owner created but it doesn't change the fact that they're a bloody pain in the arse.

As far as I'm concerned someone who says "they love all dogs" is either a saint or a person who needs to meet more dogs. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Guest lavendergirl

Hey, Lavendergirl, I'd guess you aren't a groomer? I did it for years and some dogs are absolute little shites and some are big shites!

That's often why the groomers get the job 'cause the owner cant be bothered to teach the dog to be handled and groomed. My big mistake when I started was letting one owner stay while I did her 'precious', snappy, snarling little dear. One day the owner had to go to the loo up the street, dog got a good shaking, plonked back on the table, roared at and it was 'nearly' an angel after that lol.

In other words you traumatised the dog. You are exactly the type of person I would not want within a mile of my dog and there are plenty of groomers like you. If you could not handle the dog tell the owner you are unable to take the dog for grooming and why. You have no right to abuse the dog.

Guest lavendergirl

Woh.

I can clearly state that Andisa loves dogs. running a business from home does not entitle people to rock up willy nilly and expect service on demand after all it is her home too and she is entitled to go out with her daughter ect that is why appts should be made. Even more frustrating to change your plans and have a not so willing participant to groom there is nothing worse

Well then just say no - not hard is it? No one is arguing that people are entitled to "rock up".

In other words you traumatised the dog. You are exactly the type of person I would not want within a mile of my dog and there are plenty of groomers like you. If you could not handle the dog tell the owner you are unable to take the dog for grooming and why. You have no right to abuse the dog.

Abuse? Big call for someone who wasn't there I think.

If a scruffing and a yelling ONCE delivers the goods, it sure beats hell out of having to have the dog rendered incapable of moving in a grooming harness or sedated to groom it.

Exactly HOW else would you recommend any groomer groom a dog that won't stand?

Have you got any experience at all in dog grooming? I think I know the answer. It's dangerous to groomer and dog to try to clip a squirming animal. Perhaps a few hours in a grooming salon might be educative.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest lavendergirl

If a scruffing and a yelling ONCE delivers the goods, it sure beats hell out of having to have the dog rendered incapable of moving in a grooming harness or sedated to groom it.

Have you got any experience at all in dog grooming? I think I know the answer. It's dangerous to groomer and dog to try to clip a squirming animal. Perhaps a few hours in a grooming salon might be educative.

I bet it would be!

I bet it would be!

As far as I'm concerned professional grooming is dirty demanding work that doesn't pay at all well. The only dogs I will ever be interested in grooming are my own and the odd needy case.

If the dogs aren't arseholes, chances are their owners are. Most decent groomers are saints IMO. I honestly don't know how they keep doing it.

Do you not work?

I bet it would be!

Lavernergirl you obviously have no clue about the trauma a groomer goes through grooming dogs that are untrained,aggressive,flea ridden,magets handing off there butt,matted messes & the list goes on.'It isnt a fun day in the park & most people believe there pooch is a well trained angel except they are full of knots due to lazy owners who wont brush or haven't trained there feral best.

You should spend a day at the salon although it seems you think it will be full of abuse which is quite frankly rather arrogant when you have no clue .

I love being a groomer but get feed up with people who seem to think its a cushy job & easy

To the OP sorry no sympathy when you allow it to happen

It also beats the animal being so matted it can't walk or soiled pants creating the perfect environment for it to become fly blown?? That is much more painful than what a good groomer will do to an unruly animal!

And who says an owner won't be turned away from every groomer? where does it leave to poor dog??

To the OP- Let it all out!!

Edited by ~Woofen~