Lure Coursing In Adelaide - For Non-greyhounds

jacqui835

This is something I'd love to do with my two. Tess will probably get puffed out half way, and Fleming will just keep going & going so long as he think's the lure is a cat :rofl:

I cant' do much in the way of helping re phone calls & stuff, but I can do internet research at work :D

Tess is a Wolfie x, Fleming is a Belgian Shepherd.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok finally home and have a few minutes before dog training tonight, so I was thinking... If everyone who has a bit of spare time compiles a list for me of the known potential lure courses I could call that would be very helpful. I don't mind making phone calls and should be able to during my lunch break tomorrow - and hopefully the places we know can either help us or refer us to places that can.

I think at this point we have at least 10 dogs interested which is awesome and definitely worth pursuing. We could hold competitions for speed, enthusiasm, greatest poses adopted while sprinting - like the ears of the deerhound etc - I can't wait!!

We could hold competitions for speed, enthusiasm, greatest poses adopted while sprinting - like the ears of the deerhound etc - I can't wait!!

Don't forget the comp for hardest to recapture at the end of the course!!! Somehow, I reckon my Saluki BIATCH would be up for that!! :rofl:

Sonia

PS Thanks, Keshwar, for the links...

:laugh: I'd love to come watch if this does get up and running.

I'm sure Esky would be up for a chase to, not that she's a sighthound or anything though :laugh:

Lots of dogs will chase a lure - not just sighthounds. I think it would be great to have it open to all breeds. Generally, I think lure coursing is one at a time or two of the same breed/height/weight etc.

Sonia

We could hold competitions for speed, enthusiasm, greatest poses adopted while sprinting - like the ears of the deerhound etc - I can't wait!!

Don't forget the comp for hardest to recapture at the end of the course!!! Somehow, I reckon my Saluki BIATCH would be up for that!! :rofl:

Sonia

I don't know - my bitch-face kelpie might give her a run for her money (after giving me a run trying to catch her :laugh: )

I don't know - my bitch-face kelpie might give her a run for her money (after giving me a run trying to catch her :laugh: )

hehehehehe LOL @ your Kelpie... but aren't they smart!!?? :laugh:

I have a young Kelpie too and she's amazing.

post-9713-0-73602200-1315914674_thumb.jpg

Sonia

Yes - a little too clever at times :)

Can't wait to get her back to Obedience Training - for ALL our sanity :)

Any rewards for a dog that runs in the opposite direction of the lure? I have a feeling my intelligence challenged IG might be up for that one :p.

I didn't get a chance to ring the JRT club today but if you're happy to talk to them I'll leave it to you Jacqui :). Im not sure about any other lure coursing tracks apart from the one the greyhound club has.. but a google search turned up this old thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/201114-line-lure-coursing/ I'll send PeiPei a PM and maybe that will be one more dog to join us :).

Sonia

:laugh: nope, I think MY saluki would be up for that one :laugh:

But seriously, I guess it will depend upon a few different factors - using an existing straight/one way track? or thinking about an open field course?

Existing straight tracks would be generally enclosed anyway, so hopefully no chance of dogs going AWOL! :D Open field actual coursing would be much more difficult if the dog doesn't have a good recall....not sure how the course could be securely fenced?

And that would probably be a potential issue for some sighthounds (including mine) I'm sure.

My Saluki would be one that would need to run on his own as well I think, as running with others would just send his prey drive over the top :laugh:

As far as I know there are no existing open field courses in SA, so if someone sets one up there are lots of issues to consider (with public liability insurance being only one of them I guess).

Sounds like we have a movement going on in lil ol' Adelaide here! :thumbsup:

I thought the same with my 2 sighthounds that is until I went half way round Aus with them. Just me, them, my car & belongings. I had no other choice but to put trust in them not to run away with some of the places we stayed at & they surprised me! My male will always have selective hearing but I trust them more now & am glad we had that experience. They run around offleash at my dads place & my grandfathers farm, although if they sighted a cat or bunny it would probably be a different story :laugh:

Last time I took Tashi to my grandparents farm he spotted a bunny & gave chase, with me yelling at him he actually did stop :eek: I won't tell him though that he was too slow anyway LOL!

I think a proper lure course would be awesome but I'm up for anything :)

Good news guys :) I have just spoken to Judi Hurley Executive Officer (Australia-wide)

Australian Federation of Greyhound Breeders, Owners & Trainers Associations

SA Greyhound Racing Federation

and she has very kindly agreed to speak to the track owners on our behalf to see whether it would be possible for us to use their facilities. They have a race and training this Sunday, but the following Sunday she said there was a good chance we would be able to use the straight track :D She is going to speak to the course owner and give me a call back this Sunday night after the races and so of course I will keep everyone posted.

Time to start the training...

Also I should add it's a straight fenced track, so as long as we get our dogs to the course and they want to chase the lure, we should not have any trouble with lost dogs or escapees. I assume the greyhounds don't all have amazing recall either so we should be ok.

My boy is not so bad, I would say his recall is about 99% and even then, he will always stay close to me. What I am most worried about is how he will react to the lure. Does anyone know what happens at the end of the course? I can imagine my dobie trying to pull the machine apart to get to it :s

Great result Jacqui..

I'd be doing a handout about the importance of warming up and cooling down your dogs and not coursing unfit or fat ones.

Will you expect all dogs to race muzzled. A lot of folk do it as a precaution.

You might also like to scratch your head about liability issues. My guess is the course owner won't be keen on accepting any for pet dogs coursing on his track.

Edited by poodlefan

Great result Jacqui..

I'd be doing a handout about the importance of warming up and cooling down your dogs and not coursing unfit or fat ones.

Will you expect all dogs to race muzzled. A lot of folk do it as a precaution.

You might also like to scratch your head about liability issues. My guess is the course owner won't be keen on accepting any for pet dogs coursing on his track.

Hmm will have to wait and see. I hope they do give us a chance. My dog has never worn a muzzle but if we needed to do that well I think it would still be worth it. He would spend all day every day chasing rabbits if he could - and I think this could help to satisfy some of his urges. I am also curious to see how fast he really is. We have clocked him at over 40km/hr on a bike (my partner has a race bike with a spedo) and he wasn't even really sprinting like he does after a rabbit, but I don't think it would be sensible to try and measure his speed from a car.

On Sunday when I next speak to Judi, I will make sure I ask and get a list of all the things we need to do to prepare ourselves and our dogs - she seemed very kind and supportive but we'll soon know what's on offer I suppose.

Ok guys great news, finally heard back from Judi. They're happy for us to come this Sunday, 8:30am to the State Shooting Park, on Park Rd in Virginia, SA.

I am so excited, I wish there was a way to tell dogs what's in store for them :) She made no mention of muzzles, just that we have our dogs on lead when we arrive.

Let me know who wants to come, because I might give her or Trevor (the guy who runs the track) a final call to confirm either tomorrow or Saturday - I said we would probably have between 5-10 people and they had no issues.

Just wanted to add, I do lure coursing here in QLD and the dogs are definitely not muzzled. Actually their collars are taken off as well, they race with nothing on to stop the possibility of your dog getting caught up in the lines that run the lure along.

Most dogs are run separately anyways unless you have two dogs that you want to run together.