Man Hit By Car Fleeing From Dog...and In The Same Article 2 Jrts Kille

Fit for a King

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hit-by-a-car-man-run-over-while-fleeing-aggressive-dog-20111005-1l7rl.html

Hit by a car: man run over while fleeing aggressive dog Alicia Wood

October 5, 2011 - 7:36AM

.A man was hit by a car as he tried to avoid being bitten by an aggressive black dog, police say.

The man, 38, was walking along Lane Cove Road in Sydney's north about 9pm yesterday, when a black dog ran towards him, barking and behaving aggressively, police said.

He stepped out into oncoming traffic to avoid the animal, but was run over.

Advertisement: Story continues below He was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital with a broken ankle.

Police are appealing for witnesses.

In a separate incident yesterday, two Rhodesian Ridgebacks entered their neighbour's yard in Sydney's north, killing two Jack Russell terriers, police said.

The owners of the terriers returned to their Parklands Road, North Ryde home to find their dogs dead in the backyard.

Police are preparing a report for Ryde City Council.

A police spokesman said: "It appears both owners showed diligence and care in keeping their dogs behind fences. Somehow they got through, and now any action is at the discretion of the local council."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hit-by-a-car-man-run-over-while-fleeing-aggressive-dog-20111005-1l7rl.html#ixzz1ZrE8Lv5Y

Edited by Fit for a King

Diligence and care in keeping them in but they got out? Then how did they get out? If we get to a point where we agree that no matter how diligent or how much care we provide we cant keep them in then the only place left to go is to ban dogs based on their size or breed or ban them altogether.

You can take all diligence and care and still have something happen. Tree or branch down on a fence springs to mind as one. Strangers opening gates and not shutting them is another - not many people think to lock a gate until after something like that happens.

Lane Cover Rd. Isn't that one of the streets where they play the game, kill the cyclist! I'm not saying the dog was innocent, but that is one nasty thoroughfare.

I've seen kids and grown people step out onto the road to avoid a nasty little chihuahua type crossbred, so why not step out to avoid a larger dog?

You can take all diligence and care and still have something happen. Tree or branch down on a fence springs to mind as one. Strangers opening gates and not shutting them is another - not many people think to lock a gate until after something like that happens.

yep I've had a fence go down because of a tree falling on it. Luckily I was home at the time.

yep I've had a fence go down because of a tree falling on it. Luckily I was home at the time.

Same here.

Our neighbours had an aborist fell a large tree and even he managed to miscaluculate and the outer branches of the very large tree came down on our rural ringlock fence and our GSD's yard suddenly became much, much larger!! Also fortunate we were home and watching too!

And on another note these past two days our front gate has been 'ajar' and not shut properly. I 'appear' to be the culprit yesterday but can't believe I left it open. And OH appears to be responsible today but this is baffling us??? :confused: We think something may be amiss with the latch so are all "being EXTRA diligent" now instead of just "diligent".

This morning I let three Cavalier bitches out to toilet and then they came back inside. Only to find out an hour later that the the gate was open at 45 degree angle??? :eek:

Very true. I know somebody who goes to the trouble of padlocking their gate (more for rare birds kept than worry their dogs will escape) and somebody managed to cut through it, in broad daylight, without any of the neighbours seeing or hearing. Obviously that is an extreme example but sometimes the best-laid plans go astray is my point.

What a relief for the man who only got a broken ankle; though it's bad enough, when I read the title I was worried me might have died.

I feel very sorry for the Jack Russell owners, imagine coming home to that. :( Hopefully the ridgeback owners will take more care with their dogs, though it will be too late for the poor terriers.

I saw this on the news this afternoon. Very sad. They showed video footage of the terriers prior to them being killed.

Apparently the owners had already extended their fencing several times through fear of the ridgies getting into their backyard.

How heartbreaking for the owners of those little dogs to come home to that and also for the little dogs to have to go through such a terrible death. My heart aches for them all. :(

I have always done everything I can to prevent my dogs getting out, I had 8 foot fences and padlocked gates and yet my neighbour knocked down our fence with an excavator, lucky my rotty Riley knows his boundries and won't leave the yard, Riley went and slept in the house.

Hate to think of what the council would have done to him had he left the yard.

It's such a waste. I went to school with their owner.

Bundy & OP were born on 22nd October 2005.

They are now resting under their favorite tree.

They were a huge part of the family and will be greatly missed.

As an owner of a small dog he is always in the house when I am out. It is the safest place for him no matter how diligent you are accidents do and can happen. I guess they can happen in a house as well but for my own piece of mind my beloved dog stays inside. I am so sorry for the Jack Russells owners.:(

As an owner of a small dog he is always in the house when I am out. It is the safest place for him no matter how diligent you are accidents do and can happen. I guess they can happen in a house as well but for my own piece of mind my beloved dog stays inside. I am so sorry for the Jack Russells owners.:(

I'm always concerned of a housefire whilst I'm away. A year or so ago someone deliberately burnt down a council house not too far from me. Seeing the burnt washing hanging on the line even months later gave me the creeps. The thought that my pets could die in a fire trapped in the house is a bit of a hang up of mine. Unless some one is around to let them out I'd much rather they be outside.

It's such a waste. I went to school with their owner.

Bundy & OP were born on 22nd October 2005.

They are now resting under their favorite tree.

They were a huge part of the family and will be greatly missed.

I'm sure they will be. How sad.How did a Ridges get out?

Edited by Clubsprint

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hit-by-a-car-man-run-over-while-fleeing-aggressive-dog-20111005-1l7rl.html

Hit by a car: man run over while fleeing aggressive dog Alicia Wood

October 5, 2011 - 7:36AM

.A man was hit by a car as he tried to avoid being bitten by an aggressive black dog, police say.

"We can't pin a "bad" breed on it so we'll make mention of the fact it was a scary colour."

• 2 weeks later...

The ridges were in their yard and dug under the fence. They then entered the house through a dog door and killed the jrt's in the laundry.

The council declared the dogs "dangerous dogs" and gave the owner the option to put them down or build an enclosure.

The owner is currently appealing that decision

Lane Cover Rd. Isn't that one of the streets where they play the game, kill the cyclist! I'm not saying the dog was innocent, but that is one nasty thoroughfare.

It's a 6 lane highway with very heavy traffic and no cycle lanes. If you choose to ride a bike there ... :crazy:

The ridges were in their yard and dug under the fence. They then entered the house through a dog door and killed the jrt's in the laundry.

The council declared the dogs "dangerous dogs" and gave the owner the option to put them down or build an enclosure.

The owner is currently appealing that decision

They can't have been "declared" yet , as the NOI is yet to expire.