How Did Everyone Fall In Love Their Pooch?

huskies4life88

Saw Katie our grey listed on the Hawkesbury pound site and thought what a beautiful girl she was but given we had cats & tiny Bertie (Pap x Pom) we weren't brave enough to rescue her. We already had our name down with greyhound rescue for a cat/tiny annoying dog friendly grey. Peter & Janet rescued Katie from Hawkesbury pound and she was the cat/small dog friendly grey that came to live with us. She is the sweetest dog and we are so glad she joined our family. A huge thank you to Peter and Janet for rescuing her and entrusting her to our care.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was goig to get a little black cocker girl I had everything read for a girl and a name Ellie then I got a message from my breeder saying she had died over night she was the smallest and there was nothing she could do ( I had been waiting for 1 whole year) so I was so upset the breeder said that she still had a black boy available or a blue boy from her other litter. I had been waiting so long for a pup so we decided to go for a blue boy even tho I still wanted a girl and I had always picked my dogs from looks and I had not met this pup before so I was a little scared I would not like but once I got to the breeders and met him I feel in love!! He was so sweet and just wanted cuddles and as we drove home ( my mum was driving an he was on my lap) he had to sleep on me not by my feet or in the boot had to be on me and he is still like that he loves me to bits

Mine started out as my sisters dog. A year after she got her my sister decided to go to the UK for 3yrs, so i said i would look after her till she got back. In the meantime i started her in agility and she fast became my shadow, so by the time sis got back she decided not to have her back as she was so attached to me and it meant she could move into a unit with her boyfriend.

She is the best little dog and im so glad she became mine.

Mistral picked us, when Mr Bjelkier picked him up he cried when he tried to put him down so we decided he was meant to be with us. Turned out to be a nice show dog too.

All the others I picked because they had/have lovely confirmation.

after having to PTS our beloved 14 year old lab Casper in May my heart was very heavy with sadness. We connected with a breeder of chocolate labs in Ballarat who had a boy from a litter but when he would have been due to go to a family, we would have been on a holiday that had been booked before Casper's passing; so we had to say no to that little boy. Had we been able to forecast Casper's time we would never have booked a holiday; instead we would have been happier to stay home and welcome a new furkid. The breeder had another litter due in a litter over a week from when i called her and we put our name down on that list for a little boy. We just sat back and waited and hoped that a little boy would be ours from that litter. Fate/good luck (what ever you would like to call it) shined down on us because at 2:45 am (i was still up) on Saturday morning i received an email saying that our baby boy had arrived; i woke everyone up - we were all overjoyed. Later that morning we received an email with pics of the dam and litter; we all agreed on a name that morning: Wilbur. I fell in love with our little boy that very day.

Every few days for the next 8 weeks, new photos arrived...we fell deeper and deeper in love with him. We watched him, via pics, develop through his early days & weeks.

On Friday the 12th of October at 4 pm, at a freight company, i opened the door to a crate and a rolly polly chocolate bundle, tentatively waddled into my arms.

I've loved al of our dogs deeply, but Wilbur has set a whole new level of love for me. I miss Casper terribly still, but Wilbur has been a soothing balm to an open wound. Every new day brings more adventures, laughter and joy. I don't want to imagine life without him.

Edited by suziwong66

My :heart: dog Poochie was getting old and at 15, who could blame her for slowing down! I wasn't actively looking for a new dog, however, I was in the middle of a fitness kick and did deep down want a companion to take jogging -- Poochie just couldn't keep up try as she might.

I'd actually been lurking on DOL for a while before signing up and posting and had been checking out Aussie Terrier breeders and listings because i knew Poochie wouldn't last forever and my parents are very much of the 'one dog' mentality.

Our local Woolworths has a Best 4 Pets pet shop opposite and I usually made a habit of stopping in just for the sake of it. At this point of my life I was naive and knew nothing of BYBs and Puppy Farming so I make no apologies for the fact Zeus is a pet shop puppy. I didn't know better and I've learned from it and I don't regret getting him at all.

I'd gone in and Zeus was sitting by himself looking miserable with his floppy ears and it made me sad. I went back two days later and he was still there do I asked mum if I could have him. She didn't say no and I haggled his price down (he was approaching 12 weeks which is old for pet shops and they threw in his final puppy vaccine for free) and I walked out with him.

I knew nothing of either breeds (he's a beagle x JRT) which was a huge mistake on my part as I didn't know how active he'd be but I've learned with him. He's no Poochie bug I didn't know I could love a dog as much as I do now.

We lost Poochie on ANZAC Day last year and I thought I would die -- I was gutted!! I've been battling severe depression for 5 or so years and without having Zeus around I know I wouldn't be here. Poochie's passing hit me hard but I couldn't quit knowing my bubba boy was relying on me do struggling through I slowly got better. I still really miss Poochie but I know she had a bloody fantastic life!!

Now I've filled my dream and I've got gorgeous Kirah my new Aussie Terrier pup and again she's no Poochie -- no dog ever will be -- I'm loving having Aussies in the house again.

And the best thing ... my parents are cool with the multiple dog concept!!

New Years eve 2009 we pts our darling Jake who was our nearly 15 yr old Lab. We were both truly devastated, especially my husband.

I was so lonely without a dog in our lives & hated coming home to the absence of smiling face & wagging tail.

I waited a couple of weeks, joined DOL & started a search for a new Labrador baby. Rang a breeder who had a litter & we clicked almost instantly.

She had over 40 names on her waiting list but offered us her pick of the litter during our second phone call, a very light coloured yellow boy.

After much debate, one of our nieces came up with his name, J for Jake + Angel = Jakes angel = Jangels.

I fell in love from the very first emailed photo. 6 weeks later we drove 8 hrs to bring him home.

He was there with 4 of his remaining litter mates but it was Jangels that came up to us smothering us with puppy kisses. I was in heaven !

Jangels helped immensely to heal 2 very broken hearts.

When Jangels was a year old, I decided to get serious with my hubby (had been hinting for a while!) in my quest for a brother for Jangels.

I knew Jangels would love a mate & I wanted to have 2 Labradors. He was having a couple of beers on a Friday night, for once got my wording right so got my way.

Spent all that weekend on the phone, before he changed his mind, until I found the right breeder & puppy again.

Same experience, fell in love with the first emailed photo of our gorgeous black Lab boy.

Drove 8 hrs to the same town to pick Louis up from Jangel's breeder. (Louis's breeder was at a dog show that weekend)

Our family is complete now & it's perfect :D

Sorry for the long post !

Hey :)

I would really like to get to know everyone a bit better here :)

so i would like to ask, how did you meet your beloved pooch, and what made u fall in love? :love:

was it the eyes saying adopt me? or the cute little puppy smooches :) :) :thumbsup:

For me it was for pitties sake. I picked her up as a skinny mangy wormy young dog who had had allready had a litter and fixed her, I gave her a life more fortunate and have been blessed ever since.

so i would like to ask, how did you meet your beloved pooch, and what made u fall in love? :love:

was it the eyes saying adopt me? or the cute little puppy smooches :) :) :thumbsup:

For me it was for pitties sake. I picked her up as a skinny mangy wormy young dog who had had allready had a litter and fixed her, I gave her a life more fortunate and have been blessed ever since.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a few dogs but a couple of mine are really special. I've had Italian Greyhounds for about 20 years but was looking for a new breed to show. I had wanted a greyhound for a long time and had been looking around for the right dog. I went to a show one day (something I do alot of) and saw Skadi. She was a 3mth old puppy and was entered in the show along with her brother and sisters. It was love at first sight. :love: 6 months later and passing up the pick puppy from a repeat mating I finally got my way and bought her home. Until recently she has been my almost constant companion for the last five years ,rarely leaving my side. She is the reason I now have quite a few greys.

My second grey I saw at a greyhound auction as one of 300 odd lots. She was passed in and I approached the seller after and bought her. Something about the way she looked, standing in a cage in a row of cages waiting for her turn to be auctioned off. I just couldnt leave her there

I then wanted a show grey and Rebanne was having a litter. I saw pics of Paige as a puppy and was lucky enough to be able to make her my baby. I have made a wonderful friend and love my big girl to bits. She is a very special girl

Guest donatella

I got her at 3 months after the current owner couldn't have her anymore for illness reasons. When i went to meet her I stepped outside the backyard and she came running at me and throwing herself all over me, literally throwing herself at me like she already knew me. I took her home that day. I think i got her at a good age, she didn't cry at night. I got my dream dog and will definitely own another Pom when she grows up.

My fiance and I had been researching and looking for a dal for a while and had been (and still are actually) in contact with a breeder that was going to have a litter around this time of year (we were looking in January).

We got to June and actually had a false alarm with the bitch that was meant to have puppies suspected of coming into heat earlier than expected, but it was just a false alarm.

That got us thinking, could we take on a puppy NOW rather than later? We had both got secure jobs, secure accommodation and were VERY happy in life (as happy as you can be without a dog) so a quick half-serious browse over DOL and I saw her. One little puppy left in a litter, had been going to a show home but was not any more, and the thing that tipped me over - she was born on my birthday. Everything fell into place and over a week later we had her!

Would not trade her for anything, she is totally my girl and as it turns out, the bitch of the first breeder didn't get pregnant so we would never have had her pup this year anyway! This breeder is my friend now, helping me via email navigate the show world.

James' personality amused me. I visited him at about 5 weeks of age and he ignored his fighting siblings and crawled behind the curtains to nap. Yet when his mum came in the room he promptly woke up and raced over for a feed :laugh: He also had a lump on his neck which was very character building.

And he turned out to be his breeder's choice for us, which always helps.

Mishka I bought sight unseen from interstate and while I liked her when I got her the love developed as I got to know her. The same with Moss who I chose as a pup. Cole I bought in from NZ and when I opened the crate and looked at him I fell in love and he is still a very special dog to me. Heart dogs happen and not often.

Some beautiful stories here (-:

Spudd is my first dog, I've always wanted a dog since i was little and my parents used to always say "maybe next year, maybe next year".. I moved out and finally got my bull terrier, my husband and I searched for a few months and then one breeder got back to us saying that one of her bitches is expecting pups, I got pics a couple of weeks after they were born and fell in love with Spudd straight away, we went to pick him up at 11 weeks old and he was the first pup to come up to us, I picked him up and had butterflies in my belly (-: he was such a cutie! And still is, he's 14 months old now and is such a loving, happy dog! We love him to bits!!

My DH is in a wheelchair and when we went to visit the puppies, Miss Molly came bounding over not phased by the chair as a few of the others were. And also she was the runt so I had a soft spot for her! And even though we have a few training issues, she is my best friend and I can't imagine life without her.

Next pup will definitely be the breeders pick for us though - lesson learned here!

I think i loved Zero from the moment I saw him but I didn't like him very much for the first 18 months. He was huddled in the centre of his run at the pound and I just melted because he looked so depressed and sad. He wanted nothing to do with me when I took him out for a walk but when the girls told me he was on the PTS list for that day, I couldn't help myself. It wasn't a fun first 18 months but he's worth the heartache. He is my heart dog and I would do anything for him. He's everything I ever wanted now and makes everyone else fall in love with him too :D

Besides, when he looks like this, how can you not just melt:

5602077757_f7edf20b2c_o.jpg

Both My Whippets kinda of happened at the best time :)

I had been researching my next breed while I still had my nearly eight and a half Dobe girl, thinking I would have her until at least 10.

I found a breeder, made many enquiries, asked heaps of questions and decided a Whippet would be next for us. My Dobe girl died at eight and a half after a brief illness from hereditary disease. It was 7 weeks before I had my second baby. I had contacted the Whippet breeder and put my name down for her next litter which was to be around 12 months time due to me having a new baby and having no idea what sort of personailty my baby would have - also had a not quite 2yo son as well.

I had some issues after having my 2nd son and whilst at the time I didn't realise it I was suffering from depression. The Whippet breeder had a litter that was born in the January when my son was 3 months old. All puppies were sold to families on the waiting list.

Then I got a email to say that a family could not have their puppy due to their childs severe allergic reaction to the puppy and was I interested in said puppy. I can tell you I agonised and debated and over thought and nearly tore myself up over that decision. In the end the answer was yes I would like the puppy. My puppy wants? a girl and a solid colour(didn't care which colour though). Less than 2 weeks later my little Rommi arrived by plane. This was the start of my climb back to normality. She gave me something to do other than washing and changing dirty nappies. She was my saviour. I had a very placid baby and a lovely placid puppy and the match was perfect. I really don't think I would have got back to where I am without that little girl.

Rolling on and Rommi - then 2 - went back to her breeder to be shown at the Royal and stay while we had a family holiday. The breeder had a young male Whippet she was debating on keeping or rehoming. Rommi and him got on like a house on fire and I was asked if I was interested. I was most definately, but thought my Husband would say a definate no. I showed him some pictures and his reaction was "WOW nice looking dog". I fell in love but didn't want to get my hopes up. On the way back home we picked Rommi up and got to meet Lewis. Our first meeting was me sitting on the lounge and them coming pelting through the door. Rommi was SUPER excited to see me and Lewis was yahooing and leaping all over me as he just couldn't contain his excitment either.

We decided yep we loved him, but due to having had bought some things whilst holidaying we didn't have room to pack him in the car there and then and decided a 7+ hour trip in the car at night and landing in a strange place wasn't the best, so decided to fly him down at a later date.

Well the wait killed me but about a week later he flew down to live with us at just over 7 months of age. I picked him up, brought him home and apart from a little bit of crying and upset the first few nights, he settled in like he had been here his whole life. We had had him 24 hours when we had friends over for a BBQ. They could not believe we had had him one day. He was my shadow and wanted to know where I was, always only one step behind. He has been my dog ever since is/was the perfect dog to add to our family and still always only one step behind :)

Both of my dogs came up at the perfect time when I wasn't really looking for a dog but the timing was perfect. I wouldn't have it any other way. They have also totally won over the OH who was always more a cat person. Originally they were not allowed on the lounge - his rules- now they sleep on there whenever they feel like it!!