Showing Bitches In Season

klink

I think a lot would depend on your breed. I can imagine a staffy for example would spark up and look quite impressive around bitch's in season but I can assure you a sheltie with his tail over his back and not baiting is less than impressive.

In the end unless rules are changed people are still going to do it but I stand by my original comment that it is selfish and unsporting to not at least leave your bitch home in standing season and be considerate of your other exhibitors by keeping well away at other times.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have and will do so again, until they make rules against it then bitches in season will be shown whether people agree with it or not.

Dogs in the obedience ring have to perform off lead and do complex exercises sometimes up to 10 minutes, with showing "your" time lasts about a minute.

It is quite easy to see why the dog world can never be united in any subject other than ones' own self interest when comments are made that show an obvious disregard for fellow exhibitors. I can only begin to imagine the uproar if I took my full in season bitch onto a ground being used for obedience etc.Apart from the obvious problems caused by both actions I would like to think that we would all show some consideration to fellow dog people. Then maybe Ive' been bought up wrong.

Yes but Obedience schedules and rules all state that a bitch in Oestrus can not be present. No such ruling for conformation shows.

At the shows I go to there is. The obedience is around 20 metres from the show rings. While they ask people not to take their bitches into the areas roped off, they can and do walk all around the area toileting dogs. They are male and female and I am quite sure there could be bitches in seaon amongst them.

All the obedience schedules I have seen have said no bitches in oestrus. Even had vets check them at one weekend in SA. But never seen the rule on a confirmation schedule and never seen a dog vet checked at a confirmation show.

We have a show weekend coming up soon with three shows. At the same weekend the local obedience club is also having a three trial weekend at another oval. We were looking at combining the two clubs for the one weekend as it could benefit both events but for this very reason we didn't

Yes you are right you are not allowed to trial a bitch in season and yes they are checked, but a matter of metres away there are bitches that are in season, and they can be walked right up near where the obedience dogs will be working

I have shown with a bitch in season, but now never again. I have learnt this lesson through agility. We train on a Thursday night on the same grounds that people have shown at the weekend before and you can always tell when there was a bitch on heat at the show. People are saying that their male dogs are trained not to react to the show and to show well, not so the agility dogs. Dogs that usually perform well are running around with their noses on the ground, not listening when the owners are calling and this is 4 days later.

so now we should not show in case there is something happening on the same ground days later, phfftt.

Hahaha I agree Rebanne, sorry but that is a pathetic excuse blaming bitches being on the ground several days earlier!

There is usually a bitch in season (or a dozen of them! ;)) at every show, so unless this happens at every single training session than it's not the smells that are the problem.......

not to mention the public and their dogs traipsing all over the place :laugh:

I show my bitches in season, I also warn others they are in season, I also show dogs that have been used at stud.

Not to mention I have people use my bitches in season to spark up there dogs - fine by me.

What I don't like is those who whinge about bitches in season upsetting there dog, next minute you see them using a bitch in season to get a good photo :rolleyes:

I don't always show my bitch in season, but have on occasion at the bigger shows - Perth royal and the western classic at the beginning of her season, and the Weimaraner National in Adelaide when she was in standing heat. a lot of people were in the same boat however they did split the show - males day one and females day two, but i still saw people who had bitches in season walking around near the ring with the males to "spark" them up. I wasn't going to forfeit my entry, the hundreds of dollars spent on a plane ticket and transporting costs from Perth to Adelaide.

I think that if there is a bitch that is obviously in season, and the judge has been told so, the judge would have to be pretty stupid not to put the misbehaviour of a male down to a bitch in heat standing in front or behind them, and make some allowances for a dog that is more difficult to show with a female in season nearby.

With the current rules, people will continue to show bitches in heat. I don't have a problem with it. Generally, I will scratch my bitch if she's in season - but if it's an important show, a speciality or a particular judge, then I will exhibit her.

I think it would be a strange affair if in season bitches were banned from the show ring... The only sport where they have to be entire, they are penalised for it. A bit of a bizarre suggestion.

I think a lot would depend on your breed. I can imagine a staffy for example would spark up and look quite impressive around bitch's in season but I can assure you a sheltie with his tail over his back and not baiting is less than impressive.

Agree with this.

Also, it really depends *which* bitch. My dogs are fine about other bitches at shows and I don't care if there are bitches in season around as a result, they pretty much consider anything other than a sighthound bitch beneath them anyway. If it's "their" bitch tho', it's a different story. My boys entertained a few people at a show recently because they were too busy worrying where "their" bitch was. One did an out and back like a drunk spider in an effort to keep an eye on her. Even the steward picked up that they were having "girl" issues. Next day she started bleeding and so she stayed in the trailer - and one of them went RUIG.

I think keeping bitches in season away levels the playing field for everyone - I am not going to have a hissy if there is a bitch in season around, I can manage my situation but overall I'd rather people be as courteous as possible about entire animals.

I guess I musn't be as "hardcore" as some others, I don't have a problem missing a couple of shows a year so as not to annoy some exhibitors. Some peoples dogs may show better with a bitch in season around, fine, but others yes it does annoy.

Saying a ban on showing bitches in heat because you can only show entire dogs is ridiculous... You aren't desexing the dog you are just leaving it home for a few weeks, is it really going to kill you?

The mentality of some people astounds me, why is your dogs performance more important than mine, no matter what field it is in?

Yes all my dog does is "trot around the ring", all your dog does is trot around an agility course. Both require training, both require the dog to concentrate on the task at hand. I don't think what I do in conformation is more or less important than other fields. Obviously others feel that their agility work is "better" than conformation, and if my male shows like a bag of poop it doesn't matter because he can't jump a hurdle.

Edited by Shaar

I guess I musn't be as "hardcore" as some others, I don't have a problem missing a couple of shows a year so as not to annoy some exhibitors. Some peoples dogs may show better with a bitch in season around, fine, but others yes it does annoy.

Saying a ban on showing bitches in heat because you can only show entire dogs is ridiculous... You aren't desexing the dog you are just leaving it home for a few weeks, is it really going to kill you?

The mentality of some people astounds me, why is your dogs performance more important than mine, no matter what field it is in?

Yes all my dog does is "trot around the ring", all your dog does is trot around an agility course. Both require training, both require the dog to concentrate on the task at hand. I don't think what I do in conformation is more or less important than other fields. Obviously others feel that their agility work is "better" than conformation, and if my male shows like a bag of poop it doesn't matter because he can't jump a hurdle.

Well missing a couple of shows a year for me would be missing all the shows I've entered, that's the extent of my hardcoreness....about 10 shows a year! :laugh:

I never said one is better than the other, I said that an agility/obedience dog is required to do alot more than a show dog and concentrate for alot longer period of time as well as being off lead and that's why bitches in season aren't allowed. You can control a male on lead, off lead with a bitch willing to stand also off lead I don't like anyones chances!

Have not pulled a bitch from a show simply because she's in season, however I will not permit them to be exercised close to others (or like some do, IN THE RINGS!) I keep a distance when waiting to go in the ring and make sure I tell anyone coming around with a dog, that my bitch is in season. I also tell the judge the first moment they are close enough to examine the bitch. I have not had any issues with this sort of courtesy from either inside or outside the rings.

As for the boys losing their brains...well that's just what it is. Some you can distract (have had those) others you can't (have had those too) But I've also had males that even before a bitch starts, he's going bonkers....to compensate for his over active libido and lack of brains, do we eliminate any bitch even remotely due to come on heat? He was no different when she was standing, to when she first came in....so after all....fairs fair...right?

Lack of good manners, is what creates problems, not bitches in season...they've been shown in the breed rings long before we all walked the earth....why now, is there so much whinging?

Have not pulled a bitch from a show simply because she's in season, however I will not permit them to be exercised close to others (or like some do, IN THE RINGS!) I keep a distance when waiting to go in the ring and make sure I tell anyone coming around with a dog, that my bitch is in season. I also tell the judge the first moment they are close enough to examine the bitch. I have not had any issues with this sort of courtesy from either inside or outside the rings.

As for the boys losing their brains...well that's just what it is. Some you can distract (have had those) others you can't (have had those too) But I've also had males that even before a bitch starts, he's going bonkers....to compensate for his over active libido and lack of brains, do we eliminate any bitch even remotely due to come on heat? He was no different when she was standing, to when she first came in....so after all....fairs fair...right?

Lack of good manners, is what creates problems, not bitches in season...they've been shown in the breed rings long before we all walked the earth....why now, is there so much whinging?

Well said Anglesun.

Well said Anglesun.

+2 :thumbsup:

Well missing a couple of shows a year for me would be missing all the shows I've entered, that's the extent of my hardcoreness....about 10 shows a year! :laugh:

I never said one is better than the other, I said that an agility/obedience dog is required to do alot more than a show dog and concentrate for alot longer period of time as well as being off lead and that's why bitches in season aren't allowed. You can control a male on lead, off lead with a bitch willing to stand also off lead I don't like anyones chances!

That explains it better, sorry I thought you were talking about conformation being a 'lesser' competition, took it the wrong way. Still disagree that it should be allowed, but people will always disagree on the subject.

In the end unless rules are changed people are still going to do it but I stand by my original comment that it is selfish and unsporting to not at least leave your bitch home in standing season and be considerate of your other exhibitors by keeping well away at other times.

Given that an SBT should have a pump handled tail and not carry it over it's back, it's not a nice look for an SBT either, but you can train your dog to keep it's tail down.

With the current rules, people will continue to show bitches in heat. I don't have a problem with it. Generally, I will scratch my bitch if she's in season - but if it's an important show, a speciality or a particular judge, then I will exhibit her.

I think it would be a strange affair if in season bitches were banned from the show ring... The only sport where they have to be entire, they are penalised for it. A bit of a bizarre suggestion.

I totally agree with your logic. I personally don't show my bitches when they are right in but on one occassion I did when I knew the judge really liked my bitch and she showed so well and won!! If other exhibitor choose to show a bitch in season I only ask they worn me so I can keep my dog away from their bitch. I would perfer this to showing against desexed bitches (but that is another issue!!).

blah blah blah... how many times have gone over and over this... what about the dogs that are shown and have bitches in season at HOME !!?? But still like to think every bitch he sees at a show is his for the taking, even if there is nothing in season around him. This is showing and this is a part of life and nature.. There are always excuses for losing or poor behaviour. Banning in season bitches from shows is not going to help these studdy dogs that have bitches at home. I show both males and females and I think that if you dont have enough bond with your male to get him to concentrate on you for a few minutes then there is no point in showing him at all. I know of males that misbehave because they can tell my bitch is due to come in 6 weeks before she does !!! So then what do I do? Not show her at all just in case a male cant control himself even when she is NOT in season but maybe due in the next few months ?? Come on people, stop making up excuses and just get out there and enjoy your dogs.

blah blah blah... how many times have gone over and over this... what about the dogs that are shown and have bitches in season at HOME !!?? But still like to think every bitch he sees at a show is his for the taking, even if there is nothing in season around him. This is showing and this is a part of life and nature.. There are always excuses for losing or poor behaviour. Banning in season bitches from shows is not going to help these studdy dogs that have bitches at home. I show both males and females and I think that if you dont have enough bond with your male to get him to concentrate on you for a few minutes then there is no point in showing him at all. I know of males that misbehave because they can tell my bitch is due to come in 6 weeks before she does !!! So then what do I do? Not show her at all just in case a male cant control himself even when she is NOT in season but maybe due in the next few months ?? Come on people, stop making up excuses and just get out there and enjoy your dogs.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: And what about you and your other dogs carrying the scent of your bitch in season that you left at home???? May as well have brought her.

:thumbsup: my pup showed slight swelling and change in behaviour for 2.5 months before she started to bleed and had a stud dog go crazy he is normally right on the money picking a bitch coming in she wanted to confuse them all